Shirataki Noodles

Options
sheofthesea
sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
I've finally tracked down these tofu noodles (at Whole Foods) but I have a few questions: I dried them like crazy, but they still taste watery. Also, are they supposed to be so chewy, and is there a way to prevent that?

I made Hungry Girl's cold sesame noodles and they are just too chewy for me. I'm going to try the Alfredo recipe here at MFP next.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Replies

• wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    I've heard a lot about these noodles. Can you use them in place of regular pasta for things like spaghetti or are there certain recipies you should use them for?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    They will always be chewy no matter what you do...it's the tofu and yam powder. Tofu can be very chewy if you're not used to eating it.
  • sheofthesea
    Options
    I believe that you can use them in regular pasta recipes, as long as they are well rinsed and very, very dry. And they are chewy...
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash in place of a lot of pasta noodles, it is sooo yummy!!
  • fondawanda
    fondawanda Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a new favorite "pasta". I use steamed broccoli slaw. I steam it until it is tender but still firm. It is awesome!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    i read after you dry them you can put in the microwave for a minute.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    After I dry them with a paper towel, I put them in the microwave for a minute (it releases more water), then I dry them again... with a paper towel... I actually squash the paper towel into the noodles to absorb as much water as possible.
    As for the chewiness I just kind of got used to it. Maybe if you cut it into smaller pieces then it would just go down easier. I think I like the regular spaghetti shape the best. I used to mix regular spaghetti (what my family eats) and the shirataki, to give me a bigger meal without all the calories.
  • sheofthesea
    Options
    I like the steamed broccoli slaw as pasta, too. Though I've never managed to get it with the right sauce...must keep trying.

Though I really enjoyed the cold sesame sauce, the noodles were just too darn chewy for my liking. I will definitely cut them up next time, and see if that is better.