Eating After Workout

Options
How important is it for me to eat right after a workout? I workout at 4:15am before i get ready and I usually dont eat until 8 or 9 - and my typical breakfast is just fruit.

Does anyone know of any links or research done on this? I do not eat animal sources of protein except for fish and eggs..but usually eat those mid day and dinner.

Thanks! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    I have never read anything that says otherwise.... it is important to have something in you before and within half an hour after working out -- especially working out in the morning, after your body has literally gone without food for the last 6-8 hours.

the problem with not doing so, is that you deplete whatever energy stores you have while exercising, and your body needs to feed on something -- those that don't eat after a workout give in to allow their body to burning whatever is easily accessible for energy -- and fat is not the easiest for it to burn -- muscle tissue actually is.

the damage you can do by not eating after a workout is worse than not exercising at all. it doesn't have to be a full-course meal, just some protein and complex carbs work great for a post-workout meal. any kind of shake works well, or just some lowfat chocolate milk and some peanut butter would be an easy source of nutrition.

i've lived by and swear by this rule and have never read any science to dispute it.
  • heatyola
    heatyola Posts: 12
    Options
    What I have found in all my research is that eating protien after you exercise will help your muscles recoup faster and you will not get as sore, plus it helps in building the muscle.

When I work out in the a.m. I put a scoop of soy protien in my oatmeal or make a fruit smoothie with a scoop of protien. These are my favorite breakfasts anyway. They hold me over until 10 a.m. when I eat my 2nd small meal.

Hope this helps.

Heather
  • HipsLipsMama
    Options
    Thank you! i will look into getting some protein powder and making a shake after I exercise :smile:
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also workout at 4:15am! Maybe you can find a good source of protein that is quick and easy to do immediately after your workout. ...like a protein drink. Your muscles will love you for it!

Jess
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you! i will look into getting some protein powder and making a shake after I exercise :smile:

I just saw this...You got the right idea! Ha! :happy:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    If you workout that early in the morning, can you really eat beforehand?
  • HipsLipsMama
    Options
    Thats my problem! They say you should wait 30-60 min after eating to workout...so i am going to be getting up at 3:45 to eat so i can do my exercise at 4:15...i dont THINK so! haha

i am so confused..lol :blushing: