Are Rest Days Necessary?

Options
I started out working out 5 days a week then as I got more energy an my body started to adapt to working out I started 6 days, Im sitting here and its day 7 and I normally take a rest day but I want to work out.
Is it highly important to let your body rest even if your not tired ?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing the six days you exercised. If you are never tired the next day then you are probably not working out hard enough.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I always take one rest day but it's not all that restful, i use the time to get things done that get neglected during the week.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you feel like it and think your body is up for it....go for it...but maybe make this workout a little lighter, go for a run or a long walk...yoga maybe
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Resting muscles that you exerted intensely the day before need a day of rest. Continually training them won't provide time to rebuild them back up.
    If the muscle is "casually" trained, like running for instance, if your fit enough it shouldn't be a problem to train daily.

Your body will indicate if you're not getting enough rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I first started back to working out, all I did was cardio and did it 7 days a week. Now I do 2 days of cardio, 2 days of interval cardio and two days of weight lifting with a day of rest, although on that day I do take a dance class but it is late in the day. Once every several weeks I take a day off when I think I need it. Like the other poster said, depends on how intense your work outs are.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    For me they are more than necessary, they're vital. I work out pretty intense, and 2 to 3 days rest are a must for me. But In my days rest I do moderate cardio for 20 or 25 min or other activities that require me to be active.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's definitely up to you and how you feel. I work out 5 days a week and some mornings I wake up and I feel like I got hit by a truck and when that happens I know my body is telling me to rest.

It also depends on what you do 6 days a week and whether or not you're working the same muscle group every day. If that's the case then switch things up and definitely take a rest day because your muscles need time to recover. I work one muscle group/day so a true rest isn't really necessary for me.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It's kind of an individual thing, based on how you feel and what you're doing, but I find that I work out hard enough that I NEED a rest, because my body wears down to the point where I absolutely need one. And when I find myself getting used to those routines, I increase the intensity so that I still feel like I'm working hard enough wear myself down. But I also do more high-intensity stuff, so that's a lot more taxing than some different workouts.

You're more aware of your body than the rest of us are. Trust that.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    I always take one rest day but it's not all that restful, i use the time to get things done that get neglected during the week.

I have to agree. Rest days are not just about physical rest for me. I use sunday to get things done, take an emotiona break etc. I would imagine it's a personal preference unless your doing heavy lifting and then rest is needed.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    Yes, of course they are. You may not feel too tired but eventually you will be and instead of one day off take two which can turn into three and then a week and before you know it you are off course completely! My rest days, however, still include some yoga or walking so I can still get that 'feel-good' vibe yet give my body a break.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thank you . I change my routine eveyday, I rarely do the same thing.
    I did the 30 day shred 5 days this week, 30-40 mins everyday on my wii fit doing free step, running, hula hoop and boxing. I also walk 15-40 mins a day depending on what I feel like.
    so its not that intense.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Resting muscles that you exerted intensely the day before need a day of rest. Continually training them won't provide time to rebuild them back up.
    If the muscle is "casually" trained, like running for instance, if your fit enough it shouldn't be a problem to train daily.

Your body will indicate if you're not getting enough rest. This^^^^^^

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Danardeener
    Danardeener Posts: 255
    Options
    It's definitely up to you and how you feel. I work out 5 days a week and some mornings I wake up and I feel like I got hit by a truck and when that happens I know my body is telling me to rest.

It also depends on what you do 6 days a week and whether or not you're working the same muscle group every day. If that's the case then switch things up and definitely take a rest day because your muscles need time to recover. I work one muscle group/day so a true rest isn't really necessary for me.

I do the same thing, I work out one muscle group every day then switch...so resting isn't necessary for me either.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    they are when you have family in town and have to go out to eat!!!!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    They are if you're doing it right.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're doing. If you're going out running every day then that's not a problem. If you are at the gym lifting heavy weights then yes you need a rest day.

You could always do yoga or go for a walk on your rest day.
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing the six days you exercised. If you are never tired the next day then you are probably not working out hard enough.

This. And IMO, it is necessary especially if you're into weight lifting. You don't get stronger in the gym but outside the gym. That's why proper nutrition and recovery is vital IMO.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I do not take rest days as often as I probably "should" but I do rest and modify my week's training when I feel fatigued or sore or developing an injury. Usually my rest days fall either once a week to every 10 days. They are good for you but you don't have to lay on the couch you can walk and be active..