Juicing

Options
I'm thinking about getting a juicer..any suggestions on what to get?

Replies

• rwa3457986
    Options
    I juice daily. There are alot of expensive brands out there but i have a cheap little black and decker. I'm pretty happy with it. I guess it depends on how much you wanna spend. I've heard breville and champions are great ones but are costly.
  • Chrisjbt
    Chrisjbt Posts: 2
    Options
    You should look at a masticating juicer if your juicing quite seriously. These are more expensive

If you are not sure yet, start with a centrifugal juicers or citrus juicer.

Centrifugal Juicers are the most popular juicers today and generally theses juicers are also more affordable.

One of the disadvantages of centrifugal juicers is that they are not effective at juicing green leafy vegetables like spinach.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville juicer and it works fine on fruits, cucumbers, celery. I need a masticating juicer for my greens. The breville doesn't extract a lot of juice from them, it spins too fast. I usually make green smoothies with my leafy greens.
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Question... could you juice for example on Sunday, and have it last during the week? Or do you have to make it fresh. I like to make fruit smoothies with greek yogurt and protein powder in it, but am looking for alternative liquids to put in it besides a sugary orange juice, etc.
  • jahtribe
    jahtribe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    breville is amazing! i have the $99 one and i can't say enough about it!!
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have 'whole food' juices. Technically they're green smoothies, but I love them. Great for breakfast and good for you. I use a Vitamix. Not a juicer, I know but good for everything!
  • tmak04
    tmak04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you really should drink the juice right after you juice it... if you wait you lose all the nutrients in it...
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville juice fountain elite. It is great, stainless steel and easy to clean (biggest issue with most juicers). And its dishwasher safe.

I would not recommend going cheap on a juicer. I use mine daily. The juice will not last a week. I usually juice every night and place them into two thermostat containers that I drink they next day.

Just a heads up juicing can be quite expensive as you need quite a bit of vegetables.
  • knmarcum
    knmarcum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great information about the juicer. I started juicing about a week ago and I LOVE it, however I am not sure how to account for it in the food diary. Any suggestions????
  • ivi1214
    ivi1214 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I bought the Cuisinart and works very well. I need to know how to account for the calories. Any ideas guys?

thanks!
  • rwa3457986
    Options
    i just put in homemade juice of ......., and it gives me the calories, or else i google it to find the calories i need.
  • Chrisjbt
    Chrisjbt Posts: 2
    Options
    If you use masticating juicers which function at slower speeds (rpms) than centrifugal juicers your juice is exposed to less heat.
    This means there will be less oxidization of the juice and you end up with a greater level of nutrition ending up in your glass.
    This will increase the shelf life of the juice but a week is a bit long – you should consume your juice on the same day for maximum benefit.