Do you Weight Lift or Do Cardio First?

Options
13»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I've always done cardio first as well, because I thought warmed muscles would benefit more from lifting... but some of you are saying I will burn more fat if I do cardio last... It seems to be 50/50. Not helping!!!! lol

It doesn't matter what you do first. If you utilize your glucose during cardio, your body will utilize fat in strength training. If you utilize your glucose during strength training, your body will burn fat during cardio.

Whah??? Again, do you really think you will use up all glycogen stores doing either? Or both in one workout? No disrespect but this is just plain wrong and has no basis in the physiology of exercise.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When I do them in the same morning its 5 mins of light cardio to warm up my muscles then I strength train for about 40 minutes. Then I do my hour of cardio.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I guess I have it wrong then. lol. Oh well, I don't even do weights and cardio on the same days anyway LOL
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You have to rotate! If u get in a set routine ur body wil plateau! Keep your body guessing what is gna come next!

This simply isn't true and accurate man.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    On my strength days it goes like this

Morning:
    10 min on elliptical (2.5,5,2.5) low, med, low intensity
    Strength
    10 min on elliptical (2.5,5,2.5) low, med, low intensity

Evening
    30-45 minutes of cardio
  • Roma_Tee
    Roma_Tee Posts: 38
    Options
    My trainer has me do a short cardio warm up, then strength train, then a cardio cool down. I'm not sure the reasoning behind that but his body looks great so I trust it :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Ok this morning I swapped my usual routine around. I followed the masses and did light cardio, weights then cardio

I definitely felt the burn more but its left me feeling a lot more tired, and this isn't good when I'm in late at work (which is a busy place to be!)

So I will choose the method after work )
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do a short cardio warm up, then strength train, then a cardio cool down. I'm not sure the reasoning behind that but his body looks great so I trust it :)

This! Your trainer knows what he doing. If you are doing your strength at high enough intensity you should not have enough left to do more than a cool down on the same day. If you want to do both on the same day, the 2 sessions are best seperated by at least 8 hours as the body needs recovery time.