What to eat before and after workouts

Options
I've decided the best/easiest/most convenient time for me to workout is very early in the morning around 5am. I normally wake up at 7am, and have fruit within a few minutes then about 30 min later have my normal breakfast. What I'm wondering is, do I have to eat something before and after? And should I have protein before or after? I love eating my fruit early in the day because it does have more sugar and I can burn it off easier throughout the day then in the evening. I was thinking maybe having my fruit in the morning before my workout and my breakfast after? I've read some things about protein shakes, would that be a sufficient replacement for a breakfast? I normally eat a whole grain english muffin with 8 g of fiber, and scrambled eggs (1 whole, 1 just whites). Thanks for all the help in advance and sorry if this is a silly question :blushing:

~Ari

Replies

• fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4:15am. Don't eat anything before and get some protein in immediately after. Then eat again (your fruit) about 2.5 hours after your protein. Your muscles will love you for it!

Jess
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! I've always wondered about this and never really knew.
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Let me know if you need anything...I'd be glad to help...
  • Arienna
    Options
    Actually I was considering buying some protein powder for shakes, but I'm not sure which kind is best. I've seen soy and whey, I'm not sure about anything else. What are the main differences in these, is one better than the other?
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to eat whatever I wanted for breakfast, but to eat SOMETHING before working out. I work out at 5am also and I usually eat instant oatmeal, fruit, or light yogurt for breakfast. I keep my breakfast light though, and eat a small snack (<100 calories) sometime between breakfast and lunch (which I eat at noon). Hope this helps!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to eat whatever I wanted for breakfast, but to eat SOMETHING before working out. I work out at 5am also and I usually eat instant oatmeal, fruit, or light yogurt for breakfast. I keep my breakfast light though, and eat a small snack (<100 calories) sometime between breakfast and lunch (which I eat at noon). Hope this helps!
    What do you eat beforehand?
  • squankish
    Options
    I forgot to explain why, so I'm doing it now :)
    Ok so the reason you want to eat something before you workout in the morning is because you haven't eaten for a while (because you were sleeping and you probably stopped eating at 7pm). Your metabolism needs a boost at this point. Also, anything you eat for breakfast will be burned off immediately when you work out, so sugars are OK at this point. It isn't good to eat much sugar later in the day and it definitely isn't a good idea to eat them before you go to sleep.
  • squankish
    Options
    a packet of oatmeal, light yogurt, one egg, or a small fruit
  • Amy_B
    Options
    a packet of oatmeal, light yogurt, one egg, or a small fruit
    How long do you wait to exercise after that?
  • Arienna
    Options

I was thinking something like this, maybe. There is just so much conflicting information in everything I read online, sometimes it's just hard to figure out what to do. Thanks for the advice :) I think maybe I'll have to experiment and see what works best for me for optimal results.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4:15am. Don't eat anything before and get some protein in immediately after. Then eat again (your fruit) about 2.5 hours after your protein. Your muscles will love you for it!

Jess

If I don't eat before I get dizzy and light headed...I usually work out in afternoons or evenings....

I've been wondering the same thing...
  • weswilk
    weswilk Posts: 4
    Options
    The way to cure this is to have a protein shake right before bed. What I mean is if you are working out at 5am and you don't want to eat before a protein shake right before bed will keep your metabolism going throughout the night and you won't need to eat before the workout. I have been doing it this way for 5 months with great results.
  • weswilk
    weswilk Posts: 4
    Options
    Actually I was considering buying some protein powder for shakes, but I'm not sure which kind is best. I've seen soy and whey, I'm not sure about anything else. What are the main differences in these, is one better than the other?
    You want whey for sure. Or a protein blend would be good because it has various proteins that digest at different rates so your metabolism is constantly working. I use Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex, or muscle milk. You can get them at GNC.
  • Arienna
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I was looking up prices and I don't know if I'll be able to afford the powder on a regular basis really. I think I'm going to opt for milk or yogurt after with an egg or something. I'll have to research this a bit more.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    The way to cure this is to have a protein shake right before bed. What I mean is if you are working out at 5am and you don't want to eat before a protein shake right before bed will keep your metabolism going throughout the night and you won't need to eat before the workout. I have been doing it this way for 5 months with great results.
    I'll try that. Thanks!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I get up at 5 am to workout too and I simply cannot eat before my workout - I usually get sick to my stomach or cramped. I eat a protien shake right after my workout, then have breakfast about 2 hours after my morning workout.

On the weekends, when I have more time, I'll make a fruit smoothie with my protien shake (I drink Designer Whey chocolate- for no particular reason except that it was a 2 for 1 special at the store lol). I blend a banana (or whatever fruit), the whey, lowfat yogurt (when I have it) and ice. MMmmmmnnnnnn! Its a wonderful, chocolatey low cal treat that's healthy and good for me...go figure!
  • Arienna
    Options
    I went to the store and they had samples of the shakes, and I have to say...I did not like it lol. But I did notice these: http://www.bodyfortress.com/pages/productDetail.aspx?PPID=14 I bought one to try they're $1.97 for one, so they're comparible in price to the powders, but its just a 3 oz liquid with 26 g of protein and only 110 calories, no fat, no sugar, and it has all the good amino acids and what not. Just wanted to share this find :smile: Oh! By the way, how much protein are you supposed to have after working out if I'm still losing weight? And does it matter if its just cardio and no actual strength?
  • Arienna
    Options
    I went to the store and they had samples of the shakes, and I have to say...I did not like it lol. But I did notice these: http://www.bodyfortress.com/pages/productDetail.aspx?PPID=14 I bought one to try they're $1.97 for one, so they're comparible in price to the powders, but its just a 3 oz liquid with 26 g of protein and only 110 calories, no fat, no sugar, and it has all the good amino acids and what not. Just wanted to share this find :smile: Oh! By the way, how much protein are you supposed to have after working out if I'm still losing weight? And does it matter if its just cardio and no actual strength?

I just tried this, this morning after my workout...OMG It's SO disgusting lol. I couldn't finish it, I thought I was going to throw it back up :sick: I was gagging, I will NEVER buy that again lol. Maybe I'll have to just suck it up and figure something out at home or really try and enjoy the shakes.
  • squankish
    Options
    try blending egg whites with milk, vanilla extract, a banana and a little sugar. mmmm
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Protein shakes are a iffy thing, I know they can be expensive but once you find a flavor and kind you enjoy it's not such a bad thing.

I did alot of research before I bought mine and ended up getting was Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein the Double Chocolate. In the morning I will have a shake with one spoonful of protein powder, about 4-5 ice cubes, a cup of 1% milk, sometimes I mix it up with a tbsp of peanut butter or banana and put it in the blender it taste more like a smoothie to me. After workouts I put the protein powder in about 5oz of water.