HELP with Protein!!!!

amysol
amysol Posts: 83 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I more then use up all my proteins by lunch. I don't get it. I thought protein is good but I am so limited to the protein I am allowed as per this site. I am already 17 grams over at lunch, and why? Because I had three egg whites and a piece of tilapia for lunch. This makes me be 17 grams over? Geez...how many of you are over on protein usually? I feel I should give little weight to the protein and care more about fat, carbs and calories...

any thoughts?

Replies

• nicholedunn
    nicholedunn Posts: 22 Member
    I actually go over protein alot too! I like boiled eggs and chicken so there it all goes! :laugh:

Im curious what others say too!!!!! :smile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    I am ALWAYS over on protein - from what I've been told it's ok if it's coming from lean sources which all you listed is....

I think that its at like 40% that you would worry - can't remember exactly but it's a big number.
  • TexasTBone
    TexasTBone Posts: 2
    I'm always over on the protien too. I need more protien though for my body, especially after work-outs so I don't become too weak or tired. I think you are doing good with egg whites and talapia. Keeping the fat in protein low is key and looks like you are doing that. So I agree with you, no worries about the protien as long as it's white (not red) and low fat.
  • Birdgirl
    Birdgirl Posts: 6 Member
    I'm the exact opposite: I'm always under!! I'm actually going to have to add protein drinks to my plan!!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    If protein is all you are going over on, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially if you are working out, you need it to help your muscles recover. I usually go over on protein, and am way under on carbs, and it seems to work for me!
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    I'm ALWAYS over as well!!! I eat a lot of Chicken, turkey, fish, and eggs and it sends it through the roof! I need protein to be full... I don't see a problem with it as long as it's healthy protein...
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Protein thresholds on this site are a little low for people who exercise. A typical rule for healthy individuals is 0.5 grams per pound of body weight. (150 pound person can easily accommodate 75 grams of protein--and more if working out consistently).
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    I'm always over too! I don't worry about it, really. I worry more about calories, carbs, fat, and sodium!
  • I really wouldn't worry about it. This site isn't a diet... it's just a tool to help keep track of everything. If I'm not mistaken it's generic USDA percentages they're using as a guideline. I'm often under on fat (which I consider to be a good thing) and over on fiber (also consider to be a good thing!) but it gives me a ballpark figure of what my body needs so I can say "Oh! I'm way low on protein today!" and make my dinner plans accordingly. Also, you can choose what you track. I do Calories (required), fat, protein, fiber, and calcium... there's a lot of options. Click on "settings" under the "Food" tab. Enjoy!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    The site's default setting for protein is very low. The guideline for active women is to consume about 1g of protein per lb of body weight. You'll notice that's WAY over MFP's setting. You can change your settings though, if you want. Also know that as long as your serving sizes are appropriate (1 serving of protein is about the size of your palm) and you're consuming complex carbs with lean, high-quality proteins your body couldn't be happier. Ideally you're also eating smaller meals that allow you to be hungry every 2-3 hours and you include protein & complex carbs at each small meal too :wink:

Many N. Americans either don't get enough protein or get way too much of the high fat stuff. Good for you for making good choices! :bigsmile:
  • weswilk
    weswilk Posts: 4
    I have a nutritionist and she says that if you are working out you should be having 1 gram of protein for every lb in body weight. Just make sure it is lean protein. I have been doing that for almost 5 months and I am down 40 lbs and as toned as I have ever been.
    182258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    How much protein are you doing a day? I am a trainer and my clients that weight train I have them doing a half a gram of protein per pound of body weight. I do a gram of protein per pound of body weight. The good news about protein is that what you don't use your body will get rid of...not like fat, which will be stored! Also, if you are using a lot of protein calories, that leaves less room for fat calories!

Jess
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    research/play around with what you want your protein to be each day (zone diet is 40%), then go into home, goals, change settings manually and it'll lead you to a page where you can set your protein to whatever precentage you want it to be (it'll change carbs and fat too).
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I'm always over. I was double yesterday because i had chicken for lunch and fish for dinner. I don't worry about it. I think it's fine to go over on your protien.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    You can go in and customize your protein, fat, carbs etc....
    When i used to work ot with a trainer years ago, i was told by him to try and have .75- 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. I wouldn't worry about it if you go over on protein, you just realy need to watch fat, sodium and the "bad" things, the sodium on this site is WAY too high as well. You should only be having 1500 mg of sodium a day not 2500.
  • nicholedunn
    nicholedunn Posts: 22 Member
    Wow! I didnt realize you could adjust your settings!! Thanks very much for the info!!!! :bigsmile:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    lol I'm loving how 3 of us all posted at once about the 1g per lb bit. In case there was any doubt!! :laugh: I :heart: MFP
This discussion has been closed.