Help from a runner?

Options
I have set a goal for myself to run 5 miles by the end of summer. I started walking a few miles every mornig and now Im up to a walk/jog for 3 miles. I this a reasonable goal? Whats a good way to prepare for this?

Replies

• lovetobethin
    Options
    Yes! That's a reasonable goal! The key to running the longer distances is to pace yourself and keep steady breathing. I ran 6 miles this afternoon - but I did it at a nice, slow 10 minute mile pace. I am just getting back into running from a nasty little knee injury and the best thing for me has been just keeping it slow so that I don't tire myself out. Once you can jog 5 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace, then you can work at getting faster.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thats a very attainable goal, your body is capable of incredible things. Just use it as an indicator. I started this program at 240 pounds and the first day of exercise I ran for an hour, I made it a little over 5 miles, so it can be done. Your body will tell you when its had too much, you just have to be able to discern the difference between your mind telling you to stop and your body telling you to stop. I dont know how your body works or how quickly you should increase, I'd say just follow your instinct and keep at it.
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    i'm not a runner, but I've noticed several posts about Couch to 5K... maybe google that, or look for a couch to 5K thread here...
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I started running a 10 min mile, that was 6.0 on the treadmil. but it was too fast. I did walk/jog interval training for the last 2 minths and I had just started to go the mile again. this time I went down to 5.5-5.8 on the treadmil and I find that is so much easier. this week I ran 2miles in 20:55 for the first and second times. I am going to keep this up for another couple of weeks and then up my distance to 2.5 miles and then in a couple weeks up it again to 3miles, and so on..... that is my process. everyone is different.
    I wish you luck. We have a thread called the woggers....walk/joggers. come on over and join us. we are all working up to a goal of being a real runners. :laugh:
  • lilmonita
    lilmonita Posts: 31
    Options
    I think 5 miles is a very attainable goal by the end of summer. You'd be surprised what your body can do when you push it. One of the things that can help with long distance running is taking a day to NOT run very far. I know that sounds odd. I'll explain. Take a day out of the week to do some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Google it...haha. It's basically running sprints. I like it because it not only makes me feel stronger and faster, it helps increase my endurance for longer runs. I've been running for a long time. HIIT training really helped me advance.

Hope this helps a little :)
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Heck yea you can do it! And the couch to 5k program is a great program....one that I'm doing right now.

I started out walking....then brisk walking....then jogging ...then running (lol, well, ok, my jogging and running are a little bit foggy - I feel like I'm running but I'm so slow that it's really jogging lol). Don't worry about speed until you can get some distance down. Give your body some time to train the muscles you'll be working.

Did you know that a 5k run is only 3.125 miles? So yes....5 miles is a very obtainable goal (the couch to 5 k program is only 9 week program) You can read more at: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

PS....we have a thread called the MFP Runners Club....you are more than welcome to stop by and join us :smile: There's a lot of good information there....