what did i do wrong??

Options
I feel like death LOL. I have been doing the elliptical/jogging 20-30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week for months. soooo I started the 30 day shred yesterday and i can barely walk today. What can i do to feel better? my quads hurt so bad. I want to work out today but i can barely walk. help

Jess

Replies

• kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Stretch and take a rest day. Don't hurt yourself or wear yourself out it will only delay the process. If you feel you must do something, stretch and take a walk. :flowerforyou:
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Warming up then stretching, than stretch after your work out. Make sure your stretching all muscles used! Lots of water, and a hot bath might help your muscles relax today :-D
  • jenlwren
    jenlwren Posts: 41
    Options
    Eat some foods high in potassium like Bananas and OJ. This will help with your muscle recover. i would ice your legs on and off for 5 minutes at a time and try to keep moving. The less you move around from muscle soreness like this can lead to more muscle stiffness and soreness.

Try walking for the next couple of days too. You don't want to get hurt by working out a sore muscle.

Hope this helps and hope you feel better
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the 30-day Shred!! I felt the same way. I had done the video before, took a break and went back to just my elliptical. When I went back to the Shred, I hurt like you do now. This is probably pretty normal for the first time. Definitely take some time off before doing the video again - I waited 2 days before attempting it again. Do what others are suggesting - lots of stretching will help, and the warm bath sounds really good too.
  • Treadly
    Treadly Posts: 17
    Options
    You did nothing wrong. What happened is that your muscle fibers were so use to doing only 2 routines. When you did the shred (I have no idea what that is, but it sounds intense) you worked different muscle fibers, and as a result you have sore legs.

I would stretch and at most rest 1 day. The only way to get rid of the muscle soreness is jump back into it. When it comes to cardio, abs, stretching, and lifting it is wise to have a variety of workouts, not only to prevent boredom, but to work differnt muscle groups.

Also, drink more water, take Ibprofen, and eat a banana.

Good luck
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    soak in a hot bath - take advil - it does get better

extra stretching after may be good - you could repeat what she does a second time too
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Warming up then stretching, than stretch after your work out. Make sure your stretching all muscles used! Lots of water, and a hot bath might help your muscles relax today :-D

The video includes warm up stretches and cool down - it's a really good one - very intense in a short time
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, and good things are happening. You can take it easier today, though I would do something; the muscles will feel better faster with some activity than with complete rest. But an extra stretch routine after your shred workout will help a lot.

With P90X we just keep pushing play every day and the muscles often feel better by the time the warmup is over. But we focus on different muscle groups every day, hehe.