Women, Weight-lifting and Weight Loss Question

Options

Replies

• persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I rarely stay within the 1200 calorie range anyway -- usually end up eating 1400 net. Might as well aim for something 1400-1600.

Still looking for anyone who might have been through this? And thanks for all the advice so far!

And I do hate the scale. The scale was cruel to me today.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I started a blog on doing NROLFW while obese. I've taken a lot of photos over my weight loss too. Since I'm on my phone here's a link to my latest blog post showing the difference in six weeks.

http://laurenedwards.blog.com/2012/04/01/wow/

My body shape has changed considerably by lifting weights. I eat 1600 calories doing this. (I got their figures and subtracted 300 as they said)

Ultimatly the scale is a number and doesn't really predict how you'll look. Weight lifting will make you look great.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I am not doing the NROLFW but I do Chalean Extreme which is a weight lifting program and cardio program rolled into one. I weight lift three times a day on opposite days that I do some kind of cardio. I try to net 1900 calories whether it is a work out day or not I will admit it is easier to get that much when on strength training days because it really takes it out of you to build that muscle. I have only been doing this for two weeks and I have lost nothing on the scale but..... I have already lost an inch around my waist and 3/4 in around my hips. My legs have gained a 1/2 in (in muscle) and my butt is tighter. My arms are gaining definition. So I say if you want to be fit and look great for your wedding go for it. You don't have to eat quite as much as the book says because I should actually be eating about 200 more calories but I am small only 5'1 and 127lbs but can you imagine I was 36% BF. I feel stronger and my husband is already seeing a difference. Hope this is what you were looking for.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am also currently training for a half marathon, and also recently read the New Rules book. I personally came to the conclusion that physically I cannot train for a half marathon AND lift like this book suggests, at the same time. If I lift heavy, my body is tapped out for at least a day. It was not realistic for me to lift heavy one day, and then the next day run 8 miles, for example.

That being said, I still do strength training, and I would advise you do as well. You don't have to weight train like the book suggests; you can do push ups, planks, squats, lunges, crunches, etc.

Personally, as soon as my half marathon is over, I'm going to cut back on my running and follow the New Rules book, including their guidelines on calories. For now, though, I'm sticking with running as my priority and strength training on my off days.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference good luck!!
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump... saving for later
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This a big misconception !! I have been lifting for all most 6 months and lost 21 lbs so far my wHusband as well has lost 55 lbs . YES you can loose weight and weight lift it will boost your metabolism and you gain lean muscle mass and burn fat don't let any one tell you muscle weighs more then fat please this is so wrong .With you being a female and having estrogen and not testosterone weight lifting will not allow you to bulk up unless you take steroids and other bad supplements you will gain lean muscle and tone those arms I suggest that you pick up the book weight lifting for women it will lead you in the right direction and proper from as well as a exercises and plan n how to build muscle . Yes eat as much protein you want it will keep you full and build lean muscle

I wouldn't know how to advise you, but I've consistently read that it is very difficult to lose fat while building muscle; articles usually say one goal at a time. I would concentrate on losing fat through your diet and continuing with a normal cardio and strength training program.

In addition, average exercisers often do not need extra protein. A lot of time we ordinary people fixate on advice that is intended for people with very different needs.

THANK YOU!!!!
  • persilcolours
    Options
    I am also currently training for a half marathon, and also recently read the New Rules book. I personally came to the conclusion that physically I cannot train for a half marathon AND lift like this book suggests, at the same time. If I lift heavy, my body is tapped out for at least a day. It was not realistic for me to lift heavy one day, and then the next day run 8 miles, for example.

That being said, I still do strength training, and I would advise you do as well. You don't have to weight train like the book suggests; you can do push ups, planks, squats, lunges, crunches, etc.

Personally, as soon as my half marathon is over, I'm going to cut back on my running and follow the New Rules book, including their guidelines on calories. For now, though, I'm sticking with running as my priority and strength training on my off days.

Yeah...I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to pick or the other in the lead-up to the wedding date...

Still on the fence! We'll see how this week goes with upping calories, as well. This has all been really useful.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to eat at maintenance while lifting. Lifting while dieting is a good thing. It preserves your muscle. So yeah, you might not be building a lot of muscle, or even gaining a lot of strength, but you'll be preserving the muscles you do have, maybe reshaping them a bit and maybe strengthening and growing them a tiny bit. Either way the results will be good. There's no reason to wait especially if you want the best arms for that wedding dress, and the best stomach for that honey moon.

BUT 1200 is too low for most people. I'd recommend you go up to 1500-1700. That'll give you a lot more energy for your running and your lifting.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've been doing new rules for just over 2 months, which seems to be your time scale. I'm aiming for maintenance weight, and the calculations in the book seem to be spot on for me, my weight hasn't changed, but i can feel more muscle, and my arms look good, and my waist is smaller. If you want to be on the safe side, you could go under by a couple hundred cals, but don't go crazy under or you won't build the muscle.

You'll also find you can eat more and not gain weight thanks to the metabolism boost, and who wouldn't want that?

I did the Jillian ripped in 30 hell for the month before my wedding, and really wish i'd known about this last year!

Edit to add- go easy on the cardio, lifting really takes it out of you. Just do some HIIT after the lifting if you feel the need, the effects last longer too.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I rarely stay within the 1200 calorie range anyway -- usually end up eating 1400 net. Might as well aim for something 1400-1600.

Still looking for anyone who might have been through this? And thanks for all the advice so far!

And I do hate the scale. The scale was cruel to me today.

I think 1400-1600 would be fine for you. I am 32, 5'3" and 108lbs. The maintenance calories MFP give me is 1460, and based on NROLFW my non-workout days would be around 1800 something. I am not following the book, but someone posted how to calculate caloric goal based on the book and I did it to see the number. I average about 1800 something a day typically, and my weight hasn't changed (besides normal fluctuations). Hope someone has more experiences with the book, but that's my experience on the calories.
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    I started weight lifting in late November and I had results by the end of January. I have never increased my calories to accomodate weight lifting because in general it doesnt burn that much. They say muscle burns more calories than fat but when I looked into that it was a pretty low number too. I have pics up on my profile. I didnt think it was such a big difference but I have had people I know ask what my workouts were. I currently weigh 130. My diaries are public but this last week has been a complete 180 since I sprained my knee the week before. I dont want to tell you not to train for your half marathon but it really would depend on when it is and if it would stop you from weight training because you didnt have the time. Its tough because you dont want to get injured from doing the race without training enough but then if you are training for that and doing everything else it may also be too much for your body.
  • persilcolours
    Options
    Just curious -- but does anyone think that kettle bells are the fastest and perhaps least complicated way to toned arms?

I'm thinking maybe HIIT and kettlebells to maximize the short time before the wedding....thoughts?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Just curious -- but does anyone think that kettle bells are the fastest and perhaps least complicated way to toned arms?

I'm thinking maybe HIIT and kettlebells to maximize the short time before the wedding....thoughts?

I'm not sure what it is people expect from kettlebells because they're newer on the fitness scene. They're another form of resistance that ergonomically is different, and you can do a few exercises with them more effectively. But what is the routine you're thinking of that includes these?
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options

I would echo this; I love hitting the weights, and lift on a regular basis year round. But I also like to complete at least 1 half marathon/year. When I'm in my three months of training for my half, the lifting takes a back seat. I still try to get in at least two full body sessions a week, because it's important to maintain a balance and especially a strong core/back/chest/shoulders when running so much, but I definitely dial down the intensity throughout my 1/2 marathon training, especially once I get up into my long 10+ mile runs. Otherwise I'm just too drained to perform anything to the best of my ability.

I think you'll find that if you stick to clean eating with healthy fats, carbs, and lean proteins, combined with your half marathon running (cardio), and a solid lifting routine (maybe you want to focus on upper body to tighten as much as possible for that dress!), you'll certainly be tighter and leaner come time for your wedding :)

Edited to add: Worry more about the number on the measuring tape than the number on the scale, also!! :)
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I run about 4-5 times a week, don't have a gym membership and have been doing pilates as my 'strength training' after a run and eating my exercise calories back. I've seen results in less than 2weeks - well shaped arms and thighs especially.. and a much flatter stomach.
    I've lifted weights with a personal trainer before but I found it tired me out and made it difficult to run the following day.. also my muscles got bulkier but I just ended up looking bigger as the fat was still there.

Perhaps I was unlucky with weight training but if running is a priority for you then I'd recommend pilates with it as it doesn't take too much out of you and tones you up without creating large muscles. Hopefully you'll get the results as quickly as I have.

Good luck
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've never trained for a half, and the furthest distance I've gone is about 8 miles, but I was strength training leading up to my first 10k race in October, usually running 5-6 miles at a time, and it only improved my running and endurance.

I feel like I've been hit by a truck if I run the day after a really heavy duty lifting day, but if that's something that bothers you, don't go quite that hard or heavy, and take it easy for a week or so leading up to your race.
  • kcallas88
    Options
    bump
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My understanding (and I'm not an expert) is this: like others have said-you can lose weight through strength training. Also, muscle does not 'weigh more than fat', it is simply more dense, which means that if you do put on muscle, you may end up weighing more than you did when you were 'skinny fat' (higher body fat percentage, lower scale weight, crappier measurements). That being said: it's very hard to build muscle on a deficit, so no, you will not weigh more on your wedding day if you continue on your current plan. ( I would recommend upping it a little, to make sure you get enough fuel, but that's your choice).

The reason that weight training is still a good idea in your case, is because though you will not gain mass, you will gain strength. And yes, there is a difference all you 'you can totes gain muscle on a deficit, I've increased my bench by 90 pounds, brah!' people. Also, weight training helps preserve muscle, so more of the weight you lose will come from fat as opposed to muscle -so you will have a better overall body composition. (You'll look 'toned' even though that's not really a real thing).

So yes, lift heavy, keep a moderate,but not excessive, deficit, and you should see some good changes compared to cardio alone. I'm sorry if someone else already explained it better than I did, or if I am misonformed on any point. :p I'm sure someone will correct me
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to clarify-when I said eat more, I was referring to 1200 calories-but the weight training ones I now notice you mentioned- that looks good. :)