I'm upset and my diet is paying for it.

Options
OK, so let me start this by saying that I'm bi-polar/depressive. I got laid off in December and lost my insurance so I haven't had my meds since then. That said....

Today is a rough day. In the down place again, and now the diet is suffering for it. I've already over-consumed calories by almost a thousand for the day and its not even barely 3pm yet. I feel like I've eaten so much I'm going to throw up but I still am craving more.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone explain to me again why I should stick to a diet? *weak smile*

Replies

• sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Honey it's not a diet. It's your health. You dont wanna end up with all the bad things that come from the extra weight. Its a lifestyl change. We all have bad days, dont dwell on them tomorrow is a new day. :flowerforyou:
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Awwwhh! Girl, it's tough. But I know you can do it. When you are at the point that all you want to do is eat no matter how bad it is for you, that is when you have to get out and do something that is good for you! Go for a walk, go to the gym, go to the library and get a new book to read (or just browse around), do anything that is going to make you better. After you have done that, you will feel a sense of satisfaction that the food is not giving you. I do not have the same medical conditions as you but I have a client that does. This is what helps her. Even just talking to someone about it until the urges are gone helps her.

It will get better! Just stay the course and you will pull through! Let me know if I can help!

Jess
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Ditto. So today is a bad day. Do the best you can the rest of the day, without starving yourself, get some veggies in ya and lots of water.
  • heatyola
    heatyola Posts: 12
    Options
    My daughter is bipolar too. She got a job waitressing and the walking all night has really helped her. The exercise makes her feel better. She stopped taking her meds last year and is doing great.

I would suggest to stop focusing on food and go for a walk. I know it is hard to get up and get moving when you really don't want to but tell yourself it is just for 20 minutes thats its. By the end of your walk you will have a different frame of mind and can rethink your eating plan.

Don't give up... today is just one day - tomorrow is just another.

Heather
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, I wish I could get out, but right now its my day to take care of grandma (she's 97 and in the beginning stages of alzheimers) so if I do try and sneak out for a walk I barely make it through the door before I'm needed again. :ohwell:

And the house is loaded with bad for me foods because I haven't been able to get to the store yet here to stock it with the good-for-me things since I don't have a car right now. Brother who lives here is at work and boyfriend ran off to band practice and I won't see him again till tomorrow.

So I get to sit here, with bad foods, with a crazy old lady (whom I love dearly, don't get me wrong), in the down place. Boo.
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    OK, so let me start this by saying that I'm bi-polar/depressive. I got laid off in December and lost my insurance so I haven't had my meds since then. That said....

Today is a rough day. In the down place again, and now the diet is suffering for it. I've already over-consumed calories by almost a thousand for the day and its not even barely 3pm yet. I feel like I've eaten so much I'm going to throw up but I still am craving more.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone explain to me again why I should stick to a diet? *weak smile*

Being bi polar is not easy to control things with out your meds. Is there a health unit, or charity hospital in your area that you could go to? Could you call your dr and see what cheap generic drug they could prescribe you?
    Call a friend, or someone and have a long talk, keep yourself from eating. Start you a journal and write instead of eat. Its hard getting out of the funk, but you can do it. Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You have to think positive. All the negative talk and thoughts you are having are only adding to the desire to eat.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    your here and your asking for help....so you must be doing something right:wink: !!! stand up and do some stretches with me... up on your toes...1...2...3...4.... you can do it....:wink: come on.... jog in place, do some jumping jcks......just try to do something different... you will get threw this day and then tomorrow will be better. watch a funny movie or play solitare here. or just look up some inspirational stff on this old computer... you'll kill some time and won't eat. try to laugh and smile just a little, it might help you to feel a bit better.
    :laugh: :happy:
  • tina1234
    tina1234 Posts: 5
    Options

You are doing the right thing by talking about it, especially with others who understand. As another post mentioned, have you tried to contact your local health department for refills on your prescription?

Oh, before you go back into the "goody area", brush your teeth, drink water, etc.

Do you have any exercise equipment? If not, make up a few games. For example, if you're watching TV, exercise during the commericals, check on grandma, etc.

Best of luck with all your goals!!
  • pinkyjane48
    pinkyjane48 Posts: 81
    Options
    I hear what you are saying about not being able to go out for a little movement too- I have to be attached to the phone all day at work so its tough to do anything- BUT you can try doing something in the house!! Even if its walking or jogging in place, do some jumping jacks or lunges- or even get some of the cans of food and start working your arms a little!

Being inside doesnt mean you cant move- Its tough but its worth it :)
    Feel better soon