Chicken Tortilla Soup

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
I've made this recipie many times and have in the past estimated the nutrition info, but today took detailed notes on it. This makes a pretty large pot of soup and comes to about 17 measuring cups worth. Here are the ingredients:

2lbs grilled, chopped chicken breast (no skin, no marinade, but I do put Mrs. Dash on them when grilling)
1 can (15.5oz) corn - DRAINED (I use 'fiesta' corn)
1 can (15.5oz) white hominy - DRAINED
1 can (15 oz) black beans - DRAINED
1 large can (28oz) CRUSHED tomatoes (make sure they are crushed and nothing else)
1 small can (4.5 oz) chopped chilis
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (measure it after you've pulverized it)
1 Tbsp minced garlic (I buy pre-minched in the jar, I don't mince frensh stuff)
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp chili powder

In large pot, add olive oil, garlic, oregano, and chili powder. Saute over medium heat until the onion starts getting soft.

Add crushed tomatoes and broth. Bring to a low boil and let boil for 10 minutes or so.

Add corn, hominy, beans, and chilis. Bring back to a boil for a few minutes

Add chicken and cilantro. Set heat to low (about 9:00 on the dial) and let simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occassionally.

EAT.

Today I actually had 35oz of chicken, so am using that amount in my calculations, rather than 32oz. Again, I estimate about 17 measuring cups of soup, which comes to these numbers per cup serving:

Calories: 181
Fat: 3g
Carbs: 40g
Sodium: 501mg
Fiber: 3g
Protein: 21g

EDIT
UGH. I just measured the number of cups after the soup cooled and I put it away. Turns out its closer to 12 measuring cups and not 17, so here are the revised numbers:

Calories: 256
Fat: 4g
Carbs: 57g
Sodium: 710mg
Fiber: 4.5g
Protein: 30g

You can top with a little shredded cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, whatever, but you'll have to figure out the nutrition info for that.

Replies

• bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    This sounds really good. I am going to try it. I think my husband would like it too!
  • ginamcoyle
    Options
    bump
  • warnerl1
    warnerl1 Posts: 25
    Options
    BUMP!!!! lol :)
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yummi!, your soup sound similar to what we call in Mexico "Caldo Tlalpeño" "i.e. Tlalpeño Soup"

boiled Chicken breast (no skin) (with onion, garlic, oregano, 1 tomato etc), shred chicken once cooked using hands, return to broth and then serve as a soup adding tortilla strips, and more importantly a little tablespoon (or less because is so hot) of chipotele chilli, shredded oaxaca cheese and cubed avocado (these 3 are the main ingredients) and some times sour cream on the top.

so delicious!
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I forgot, they add a little rice while cooking chicken,

google: caldo tlalpeño and you will see :D
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Yummi!, your soup sound similar to what we call in Mexico "Caldo Tlalpeño" "i.e. Tlalpeño Soup"

boiled Chicken breast (no skin) (with onion, garlic, oregano, 1 tomato etc), shred chicken once cooked using hands, return to broth and then serve as a soup adding tortilla strips, and more importantly a little tablespoon (or less because is so hot) of chipotele chilli, shredded oaxaca cheese and cubed avocado (these 3 are the main ingredients) and some times sour cream on the top.

so delicious!

Sounds good. Minus the avocado since they make me sick. :wink:
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    UGH. I just measured the number of cups after the soup cooled and I put it away. Turns out its closer to 12 measuring cups and not 17, so here are the revised numbers:

Calories: 256
    Fat: 4g
    Carbs: 57g
    Sodium: 710mg
    Fiber: 4.5g
    Protein: 30g

I can't edit the original post anymore so hope others see this one.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    BUMP, looks awesome!

Man it makes A LOT though. I'd only be making it for myself and could probably only eat 2 cups at a time. So 12 cups is too much! Maybe I could force my roommates to eat some... shouldn't take much coaxing :wink:

I'm a vegetarian but I'll just take the chicken out and use vegetable broth, no biggie there.

Thanks for sharing!
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dt3sk00
    dt3sk00 Posts: 2
    Options
    bump
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bump, may try this recipe this weekend.
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    Thank you
  • powersmatti
    Options
    I love this soup. Sometimes my boyfriend likes it thicker/more creamy so we add a bit of far free cream cheese at the end. Nom!
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe for dinner tonight. It's totally amazing! Definatly going into the family cook book for future use :smile:
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Glad you like it! :smile:
  • ltmaas
    ltmaas Posts: 10
    Options
    bump! Sounds yummy!