NSV! First 5k Race!

Options
KarmaxKitty
KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
Finished in 40:29!!! My only goals were to not pass out, do a better job than the last 5k that I ran by myself, and to not be last! I did all of the above! :D

Replies

• ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I ran/walked my first 5K in Sept. 2011. It was an official/unofficial race. It was locally put on in my little hometown to raise money for a young mom/teacher/pastor's wife in our community who needed a new liver.**BTW she got her new liver 2 weeks ago :) ..take that stupid caner. So this was not a competitive event at all most people who did it, this was prob their first time ever doing 3 miles...it was awesome. I finished it in 44:15. I will be running my second 5K on April, 28 2012..with my 9 yr old daughter and husband. This one is more official and will be very competitive...a little nervous about it. My goal is to finish it without walking....which I haven't been able to do yet.
    Great job reaching all of your goals and keep going....it feels good to know I am not the only newbie out there.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Way to go! I ran/walked my first 5K in Sept. 2011. It was an official/unofficial race. It was locally put on in my little hometown to raise money for a young mom/teacher/pastor's wife in our community who needed a new liver.**BTW she got her new liver 2 weeks ago :) ..take that stupid caner. So this was not a competitive event at all most people who did it, this was prob their first time ever doing 3 miles...it was awesome. I finished it in 44:15. I will be running my second 5K on April, 28 2012..with my 9 yr old daughter and husband. This one is more official and will be very competitive...a little nervous about it. My goal is to finish it without walking....which I haven't been able to do yet.
    Great job reaching all of your goals and keep going....it feels good to know I am not the only newbie out there.

You're NEVER the only one!!! None of my friends came to see my race, but my parents did. Made me sad because it feels like no one cares. But it makes me feel really good knowing that other people like you are out there doing the same thing I am!!! Good luck with YOUR next race! (and three cheers for that woman's new liver!)
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! thats awesome!!!!
  • 33Chief
    33Chief Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Most folks won't come to your races because they don't understand how inportant it is to you and they never will. My wife does not come to mine LOL. She thinks it is dumb to pay money for something I can do for free.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Most folks won't come to your races because they don't understand how inportant it is to you and they never will. My wife does not come to mine LOL. She thinks it is dumb to pay money for something I can do for free.

That explains a lot... Maybe I'm a little less disappointed in them haha. (I show up for almost all of their things...)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    well, that and it's boring. I've done 50k bike rides for a while, my wife never came along. (not to mention we have kids) and then after my first 100k I had a brocure for a short ride that my wife and her parents decided to do, and I got stuck with the kids. I'd much rather been riding along, but.....

We both did the local Tour De Donut this year ( I did the 50k and she did the 25k version) so it was nice to have her around to talk to while waiting to mass start, (her mass start was a few minutes after the rest of us were 'out the gate' and she was done a fair bit before me (she did have a shorter course) and I admit it was much better having someone there at the finish, but that would have been a boring 3 hours for her if she didn't also race. Sure, a 5k may be much shorter, but may well be far more boring.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    The day you signed up was the day your happiness started related to this NSV! So very proud of you, keep up the good work
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I've been a runner most of my life but only 100-200m I LOVE to SPRINT! Was never a long distance runner. However once I hit high school didn't run nearly as much and now have 2 kids and stopped all together. Last year I also ran my first 5K in my efforts to gain a new healthy lifestyle and we did it in 34.45mins! I ran with my sister-in-law I slowed her down a bit but it was amazing to be able to finish with a good time. My goal for my next one 30mins :) Goodluck and GREAT work!
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats that's awesome. You should be very proud of yourself. You Rock
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I will be competing in my first 5k race on April 21, 2012, any advice now that it is about 2 weeks away. How do I continue to train heading up to my race day?
  • tsegears
    tsegears Posts: 94
    Options
    That is my exact finish time (40:29) from the 5K race I ran on Mar. 31st. I completed my first 5K last August at 38 mins., but except for a wooden bridge to cross, the whole course was flat. The race on Mar. 31st was called the "The Hills Are Alive." Trust me, the race lived up to its name. Hence, the my finish time, but I think I will do it again next year. It was a challenge, but I finished which was my goal.

13107194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I will be competing in my first 5k race on April 21, 2012, any advice now that it is about 2 weeks away. How do I continue to train heading up to my race day?

What I did for mine was runs every other day for about two weeks. I didn't focus on time, just distance and the way I felt. Think about what you want for your race. If you want a good time, focus on your time. For me, I just wanted to go the distance. (Cue disney music!) But the last couple of days before my race I just walked or did yoga to give my body a break before race day.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    That is my exact finish time (40:29) from the 5K race I ran on Mar. 31st. I completed my first 5K last August at 38 mins., but except for a wooden bridge to cross, the whole course was flat. The race on Mar. 31st was called the "The Hills Are Alive." Trust me, the race lived up to its name. Hence, the my finish time, but I think I will do it again next year. It was a challenge, but I finished which was my goal.

13107194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Haha!!! Our trail ran all around my campus so it was COVERED with steep hills!!! I still can't believe someone finished that thing in 18 minutes! XDDDD
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I am impressed you even tried :0 I'm still far too scared.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Congratulations, I am impressed you even tried :0 I'm still far too scared.

Only way to do it is to get out there and do it! I was terrified, but after the first mile I fell behind and eventually the point of "bump this, it's my run, so I'm just going to get to the yummy fruit tower at the end." Orz
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!