7 week Plateau is finally over.. but for what reason?

Options
I am ecstatic that after 7 weeks the scales have finally moved last week.

What puzzles me is why. I do tend to over analyse but I never want to go through that again. It was so hard to keep focused.

I had 3 weeks weighing in at 110kg then 5 weeks weighing in at 109.8kg. The next weigh, last Friday I was 108.1.

I have gone through what I changed that week & come up with 4 main things.

1. I drastically cut my exercise back. I don't do huge amount s of exercise compared to most but I remembered the week I started the plateau I had doubled my exercise. 30 min on the Wii Fit changed to 60 min. I started doing some other things in the coming weeks I hadn't done before in the middle of the week, like a walking DVD or a water aerobic class and towards the last few weeks I did the first week of the c25k. This last week I only did 90 min on the Wii for the whole week and a small amount of walking.
2. I tried really hard to not go for the sweet snacks and get my sugar down. I do like my sweet treats and usually keep within my calorie allowance. (YESTERDAY, AND LAST FEW DAYS IS NOT A GOOD EXAMPLE OF HOW I USUALLY AM. SILLY EASTER CHOCOLATES )
3. I was watching my protein more and less carbs. Though this wasn't something new this week, I was focusing on it more.
4. I reduced my calories for most of the week by 150- 200per day. I left it on 1610 ( for a 1lb week loss) but tried to leave the last 200 calories uneaten.

During the plateau time I tried upping my exercises, changing my exercises, I tried upping calories, down in calories. Some days it was all to much and I didn't log. Not many though. My poor pals were having to listen to me whinge. I read everything I could on the forums, can't say I understood it all.

So, why did I blow the plateau out of the water this particular week?
My BMR is 1669. My maintenance is 2090 ( wow, both have just gone down) .
Just wondering if any one has any thoughts? would be much appreciated.
Thanks,don't want to go back there again.

Replies

• jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jastarki
    jastarki Posts: 14
    Options
    Congrats on breaking your plateau!
    I don't have much advice (or any, for that matter) because I'm stuck for the time being, too. But I'm glad things are moving for you again, and in the right direction. You must have done something right!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    My first thought is the cutting back on your exercise. Exercise causes water and glycogen retention. If the demands on energy are lower, then the body has a tendency to not store as much water/glycogen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jaabee11
    Options
    Thank you both for answering.
    The exercise does seem the obvious one to me.
    Will have to look at where I go from here.
    I have such a long road ahead, don't want to keep stalling.
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    To start, I don't understand weight loss and TDEE, BMR, etc. However, I sort of wonder if maybe we have a "set point" for weight. Maybe the body picks a weight it likes and tries to hold on to it. Then you lose some weight and it picks a new set point. Just an idea.

Nevertheless, congrats on your progress!
  • jaabee11
    Options
    To start, I don't understand weight loss and TDEE, BMR, etc. However, I sort of wonder if maybe we have a "set point" for weight. Maybe the body picks a weight it likes and tries to hold on to it. Then you lose some weight and it picks a new set point. Just an idea.

Nevertheless, congrats on your progress!

ha ha, you actually think like me, I was saying that for a while. Thought I was stuck till my body decided to give in and pick a new spot. Thanks
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Were you taking note of any other stats apart from just the scales?

Measurements? Actual photographic representations?

Just because you aren't losing on the scales doesn't mean you aren't losing inches around the waist.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    1. I drastically cut my exercise back. I don't do huge amount s of exercise compared to most but I remembered the week I started the plateau I had doubled my exercise. 30 min on the Wii Fit changed to 60 min. I started doing some other things in the coming weeks I hadn't done before in the middle of the week, like a walking DVD or a water aerobic class and towards the last few weeks I did the first week of the c25k. This last week I only did 90 min on the Wii for the whole week and a small amount of walking.

So, why did I blow the plateau out of the water this particular week?
    My BMR is 1669. My maintenance is 2090 ( wow, both have just gone down) .
    Just wondering if any one has any thoughts? would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,don't want to go back there again.

Your metabolism was slowed down.

Scanning through diary for past 2 months, you don't appear to normally eat back exercise calories, so while eating sometime at BMR level, usually was not.

So your BMR lowered. And you were left actually eating at maintenance level. When your metabolism slows, all your daily activity uses less calories actually.

You stopped exercising as much, more calories left for BMR, it went higher, you now had deficit.

Exercise is for heart health and body shaping.

Diet is for weight loss. But can be negatively effected by exercise if done wrong, positive influence if done right.

You could probably stall it again in 2 weeks as a test if you desire. Double your workouts and don't eat them back again.