Does the elliptical burn fat?

By that, i mean, if i used it almost everyday, would i lose weight from it?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

Providing you were in a calorie deficit, yes :)
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    I have seen people lose weight from elliptical alone, but your progress may slow gradually because your body expects it. You should switch up exercises or add strength training. Doing HIIT on an elliptical is a great way to burn fat.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Nothing "burns" fat. Exercising burns calories and a calorie deficit causes weight loss. The majority of weight loss comes from a change in diet as most people cannot exercise enough to lose weight. It takes a 3,500 deficit to lose 1 pound. 30 minutes on the elliptical is less than 600 calories burned.

Exercise for your health and to help firm and tone your muscles. Watch what you eat to lose weight.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    If you are in a calorie deficit, then yes you would lose weight.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    I primarily do the elliptical, and I'm 17lbs down :)
  • Get_Me_Fit
    Get_Me_Fit Posts: 42 Member

What exactly is a calorie deficit?
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 396 Member
    I've lost nearly 50 pounds and my main form of exercise is the elliptical. I do 65 minutes a day and have worked up to doing about 5.25 miles during that time. I also add in zumba once or twice a week, and keep at a deficit. so yes, the elliptical is efficient exercise if you do it in combination with healthy eating.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member

Eating less than that number people throw around...I think it's called TDEE or BMR or Life Expectancy...
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    The elliptical is apart of my daily routine. As you can see from below, so far so good. Along with healthy eating habits, I should add.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member

It means you are taking in less calories than what you are burning.....you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you are eating 3000 calories a day but only burning 2500, you will not lose regardless of the exercise.
  • By that, i mean, if i used it almost everyday, would i lose weight from it?

If your body is maintaining it's current weight on 2000 calories a day, then anything under 2000 is a caloric deficit. If you create a caloric deficit of 3500 calories a week, then your body will use other sources of calories to maintain equilibrium. Typically this is fat reserves but it is possible your body might start consuming muscle too if you also have a protein deficit. The opposite of a caloric deficit is to consume more calories than you need. The body will save these as fat. Exercise will add to the deficit. You expend energy that the body must replace. I try to have a caloric deficit of 3500 calories a week and I add another 3500 calories burned in exercise. Then I try to be careful that what I eat is premium fuel and not garbage like fast food.
  • Chelseynicole88
    Chelseynicole88 Posts: 2 Member
    provided you are burning more calories than you take in. Don't forget that you burn calories just breathing, sitting, digestion, etc. I believe taking in 1500 calories a day for someone who weighs between 140-160 lbs is adequate..therefore, If you were to consume more than this you would NOT be in a calorie deficit. This includes calories burned on the elliptical. (Please keep in mind that this is my own opinion and knowledge from personal experience and my own research, Please make sure you are consuming enough "good" calories throughout the day )
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    It's exercise so yes as long as you are sticking within your calories etc.
    I find the elliptical burns a lot more calories for me (as per HRM) than treadmill or exercise bike. I put it on a programme so it isn't just 1 level.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    like the people above me said,as long as you're burning more calories than you are eating. You should be losing weight.

FOR ME, the elliptical s my favourite machine to do cardio (compared to running outside or on a treadmill.)
    I think its a good machine for people that are just starting out with cardio.
    It's has the least amount of impact on the joints, while providing the most amount of calories burned in a time-frame.

When i first started out. I was too out of shape for running. My weight and my belly was working against me when I'm running.
    Using the elliptical had less impact on my joints, and didn't make my heavy belly bounce around so much. LOL.
    I loss about 75 lbs in less than a year using the elliptical.

When I first started, I could only do level 5 on the resistance, at 30 minutes a day.
    Then, every time my body adapted to the setting, i would either increase the time or the resistance-level.
    Now i can do level 11, doing 2 hours or more a day.

Oh, and now that i cant feel my belly jiggling about whenever i run, I started taking up running outside as well. Now i switch around between elliptical, running outside, and swimming.