So I went to the store today...

Options
And I scored a BUNCH of stuff! In particular, I got stuff to make Campbell's cheesy chicken and rice casserole one night (frozen veggies too!), canned carrots/peas, pears, peaches, applesauce, raisins, vanilla yogurts, string beans, etc. etc. etc. I forgot apples though :sad: so there goes my snack...at least I got bananas too!

But my main problem is, I haven't made fruits and veggies before. I made sure to get the canned fruits in light syrup though. I haven't cooked with meats either...at least not stuff that wasn't already cooked! I really want to make the casserole one night but I don't know when meats are done.

Help?

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Don't you have a recipe for it? It should give you the amount of time to cook it. If not, chicken takes about 30 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees (if it's off the bone and in smaller pieces, such as chicken breasts). If you're cooking whole chicken it's about 1-3/4 to 2 hours at 375 degrees depending on the size.

You should search recipes or google cooking times if you are unsure. Good luck.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I think the campbells website will have a recipe for you. There may even be one on the inside label of the can.
  • smurfy88
    smurfy88 Posts: 2
    Options
    ya if the recipe is not on the back of the can it will definitely be on the cambells website!
  • jdl249
    jdl249 Posts: 46
    Options
    I've seen the website and I understand that much...but isn't every oven different? Gas vs. electric? (I have a gas oven BTW). I'm not really asking for the recipe so much as meats in general.

And I would really like to learn to make veggies, i.e. I bought string beans today but have no idea how to make them, etc. etc. etc. With fruits you can just take them out of the can and serve, right? I didn't get any fresh fruits except bananas.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but I'm just learning to cook at 20 years old :tongue:
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    String beans are good if you can steam them in a little bit of water (usually 8-10 minutes if they are thick). Or you can put them in a small microwave safe bowl with a few tablespoons of water and cook in microwave until they are almost soft--3-4 minutes)

The fruit you can eat out of the can (I would also look for fresh fruit if you can find it since canned fruit is really tasteless--sorry).

As far as gas vs. electric, it shouldn't matter--if the oven is set for 350 degrees its the same for both types of oven. Hope this helps.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I find that with most meats, be it chicken, pork or some cuts of beef, I can either grill or in your case, just spray a pan with non-stick spray, a few seasonings like garlic or curry powder along with a sauce I make - typically like balsamic vinegar (a small bit as it makes things carmelize), italian dressing a bit of barbecue sauce and/or hot sauce then bake - usually it makes anything taste pretty good.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    canned fruit in syrup has a LOT of added sugars that you don't want.
    go for fresh!
    they do taste way better too:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree; however, I do frozen fruit because you can keep it longer. And it's a nice cool low cal treat on hot days:flowerforyou:

I like to boil my chicken. I can put it in a big pot of water and leave it for an hour or so (I cook it still frozen).

With the canned vegetables I would rinse first then steam to get rid of some of the sodium.:flowerforyou:
    go for fresh!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    With chicken, there should be no pink inside. With red meat, it can be rare with pink inside. No pink in pork either. Fish should be flaky and not firm. You can also look up what "internal temperature" a meat should be and use a thermometer, it takes a few mins for it to test the temp.

If you have something like a chicken breast, you know how it's floppy in the beginning before you've cooked it? It should be firm and stay flat.

Go out and get a cookbook, like Desparation Dinners which has recipes to do in 30 mins or less, or some Weight Watchers cookbooks.

I learned to cook from my hubby... so I feel your pain! Good luck! And good for you getting rid of the processed stuff!!!!
  • jdl249
    Options
    go for fresh!

Fresh fruit is expensive here. :laugh: I was lucky enough to snag bananas for $1 a bunch! But I made sure to get light syrup and not heavy syrup. It'll work for now I suppose, as a learning experience :wink:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    When I taught my kids to cook - I told them to cut into the meat gently & if it looks like you're used to eating it, then it's ready. If not, it's not.
    :bigsmile:
    Remember it isn't rocket science. Don't over think learning to cook.
    You can do it. Just pay attention.
    :wink:
    It sounds like you're making a good start.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    Fresh fruit prices: wanna come to Alaska and see? :noway:
    I do buy them though as it's just the best, like raspberries are awful expensive, but SO delicious when they aren't frozen.
    Try Cooking.com. It's often tells you the nutritional info at the end of the recipe, or look for "Eating Well", "Fresh and Easy", etc recipes. Also, look at the recipes in MFP. I just made the BEST broccoli salad someone posted two days ago! I never had broccoli salad before!!!!!!!!!!:blushing:
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    Here, I will post it for you. I didn't use plain yogurt, I used fat free vanilla and left out the sugar and vinegar. I also substituted the sunflower seeds to pine nuts (whatever I had at home...:happy: ) and cut the raisins in half, and I ended up with about 130 cal/serving.

Broccoli Salad

Ingredients
    4 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1 1/2 cups seedless green grapes, halved
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup raisins
    1/4 cup salted sunflower seed kernels
    1/3 cup light mayonnaise
    1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon white vinegar

Preparation
    Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
    Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture, and toss well. Chill for 1 hour.

Yield
    8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 175(29% from fat); FAT 5.7g (sat 0.8g,mono 1.4g,poly 3g); IRON 1.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 4mg; CALCIUM 55mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31g; SODIUM 148mg; PROTEIN 3.4g; FIBER 3.5g
  • jdl249
    Options
    Fresh fruit prices: wanna come to Alaska and see? :noway:
    I do buy them though as it's just the best, like raspberries are awful expensive, but SO delicious when they aren't frozen.
    Try Cooking.com. It's often tells you the nutritional info at the end of the recipe, or look for "Eating Well", "Fresh and Easy", etc recipes. Also, look at the recipes in MFP. I just made the BEST broccoli salad someone posted two days ago! I never had broccoli salad before!!!!!!!!!!:blushing:

:laugh: I was there about 3 years ago...I don't remember what they were back then but just so you know! :laugh:
  • kitn621
    kitn621 Posts: 215
    Options
    I've seen the website and I understand that much...but isn't every oven different? Gas vs. electric? (I have a gas oven BTW). I'm not really asking for the recipe so much as meats in general.

And I would really like to learn to make veggies, i.e. I bought string beans today but have no idea how to make them, etc. etc. etc. With fruits you can just take them out of the can and serve, right? I didn't get any fresh fruits except bananas.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but I'm just learning to cook at 20 years old :tongue:

you dont sound stupid....everyone learns things at their own pace. I am 27 and before I met my current husband (4 yrs ago) i didnt know as much b/c I never got to cook for my first husband. He was so darn picky and ate only a few things and he was also working so late we never got to eat together.
    I just looked things up, asked friends or family, and practiced. Start simple. Dont over do yourself and work your way up. Before long you will be cooking up a storm and making some miraculous meals!!! good luck.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Okay...don't know much about meat (I'm a vegetarian)...but as for veggies...my fave way is to put a little extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil on them...a little salt and pepper and then stick them under the broiler. They'll be done in no time...yum-o!
    Fruit...buy fresh if you can. If it has to be canned try to find some in their own juice...no syrup. Frozen is wonderful for making smoothies and on hot summer days.
    Also...learning to cook is an ongoing experiance. I did learn to cook meat in high school...we had culinary classes (I compeated in state compitetions :wink: )...and because I'm a vegetarian and none of my family was growing up...I had to fend for myself.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Way to go for taking the step and cooking for yourself! Just keep in mind, you are going to undercook, burn, and make things that are just plain disgusting. I'm still learning to cook myself, but I like to think of it as an ongoing learning process. My best reccomendation is to find a few recipies on websites and use those for inspiration. I really love allrecipies.com. There are user reviews and notes of what other people did differently to the recipe to improve it. Even has tips on methods, etc for cooking. Also, start by sticking with what you know. When I first began cooking, all I could cook was pasta. So then I started adding things like homemade meatballs or blackened chicken to my alfredo, and pretty soon I started getting a pretty good collection of foods that I love.
    To me, making a great meal isn't only the main dish, but the side dishes. Keep in mind the food pyramid...a meat, veggie, carb (if you aren't on a restricted carb diet). For instance, my last night's dinner was a pork roast, lima beans, and mashed potatoes. They all went pretty well together.
    Also, don't forget that a crock pot can be a lifesaver! just put your food in at the beginning of the day and by the time you're home it's done! I must admit I love the crock pot meals they sell in the grocery freezer section just because they are so simple!

Hope this helps. Just keep at it and you will be making excellent meals in no time! :smile:
  • jenniferscheller
    jenniferscheller Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know were you live but instead of a grocery store go to a farmers market where things are way less expensive. I live in Lancaster PA so there are always markets open and often our amish neigbors will sell their produce at spectacular prices. For instance I bought a box of second tomatoes (they have small spots or are bruised a bit but still fine for eating) 25 lbs for five dollars I was able to dice them and freeze them for use all winter. Always buy what is in season and buy local produce if you can.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Good for you for taking the steps to cooking for yourself! I would recommend going to the library and borrowing two books, both by Mark Bittman, "How to Cook Everything" and "How to Cook Everything, Vegetarian" both are chock full of great info, recipes and techniques...here is a link to some of his recipes
    http://www.markbittman.com/recipes

Also, cookinglight.com and cooking light magazine, allrecipes.com and prevention.com have some great recipes that are easy to follow.

Good luck!