Dear God, I have no patience for weight loss!

Options
While I've lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks, which averages to about 1.3 lbs per week, it feels like this weight is coming off SO SLOWLY!! My pants feel slightly baggier but I still can't squeeze into a smaller size so I'm stuck in this in-between phase right now where nothing fits me well. I know the weight came on slowly and it wasn't an overnight process but I'm way too eager to get it the hell off my body and into some skinny clothes!

Okay, rant over!

Replies

• missfancy1980
    Options
    I have to comment as this is at least the 10th post i've seen about people frustrated on weight loss, that starts with "i've lost ___ lbs, BUT..." :laugh:

Try being me - i've lost ONE yes ONE lb in over a month. Now THAT'S frustrating lol.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well, slow loss or slow gain...you pick. You should probably try to aim for some non-scale victories (NSV).
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Took a peak at your diary, it'd do you well to monitor your sodium. You'd probably lose inches and much water weight all over by cutting it under the limit.

Just a suggestion, you're doing well otherwise.
  • nacobi
    nacobi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I am in the "in between" phase too and it is so frustrating. That next size down seems soooo far away. I really try to push myself to keep going but it is hard when it feels like you are stuck in weight limbo. Maybe we should be friends to keep each other motivated. Don't give up on yourself. The scale will eventually see things our way!
  • painterdlzll
    painterdlzll Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get the same way. I have lost ten, but since I'm heavy it is hard to tell. Once you lose the next 8 you will be in that smaller size. Don't give up!! Head up and keep smiling.
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    It's been about a week or so since I started back up and I swear, I look in the mirror and can't believe I'm not all svelte and stuff already. Yeah, I'm a wee bit impatient also lol
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In the same boat! And totally get the frustration :yawn:
  • shanzie227
    shanzie227 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a sprint. The scale is not the only measure of success. Energy, stamina, get up and go. Don't just go by the scale, because the scale can depress you. As you develop muscle the scale might even go up. Press on friend!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I average .5 a week and that isn't every week just an average over the months I have been on here. Sometimes the scale doesn't shift for several weeks and then I bump down another pound or two. The point is it is going down, I have made a spreadsheet showing my progress and that visual aid really helps to see the downward trend. I am so pleased with my progress even if it is slow.

Don't get discouraged, look at the people on here who have lost huge amounts of weight. They started just like you did and pound by pound they lost. They never gave up they just kept plugging away and that is what you have to do.

Good luck with your journey :flowerforyou:
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Keep you goals realistic. This isn't a race, it's a lifetime change. I am losing a little faster than you, but I would be perfectly content with your weight loss rates. It sure beats my old pattern of the scale always going up, and if it continues you will reach your goals eventually. Plus, when you reach your goals you are already practicing the lifestyle that will keep you at the weight you want to be. People who drop weight very fast never do it in a way that they can keep up for the rest of their lives.

I guess I am saying, there is as much value in this journey as there is in the destination. Maybe more so, because ideally the journey continues after the destination has been reached. At least that's what I tell myself. I have just kind have started this too.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week for a year will put you at your goal, so who cares if it takes a year? Unless you are 1 year old, it took much long than that to put it on.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have to comment as this is at least the 10th post i've seen about people frustrated on weight loss, that starts with "i've lost ___ lbs, BUT..." :laugh:

Try being me - i've lost ONE yes ONE lb in over a month. Now THAT'S frustrating lol.

when you don't have a lot to loose it comes off slower. I went 3 months and only lost a couple lbs. it was because my weight was being distributed in a good way.

funny story: I had just weighed myself and was feeling low and went and picked up a couple 70lb dumbbells to do hammer curls and as I was lifting them it dawned to me that I could barely curl 40s a few months ago.
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree about your sodium intake. Try to lower that. Remember it didn't go on in a "day" it's not coming off in a "day" either. Have some patience with yourself. Eat some different things...mix it up a little. Best of all Keep Smiling! God loves you anyways!!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Don't DESPAIR! You CAN do this........
    Took a peak at your diary, it'd do you well to monitor your sodium. You'd probably lose inches and much water weight all over by cutting it under the limit.

Just a suggestion, you're doing well otherwise.

^^ AGREE with this.......AND it would REALLY benefit you to work on INcreasing your water intake too- that will COUNTERACT
    the sodium as well.

CHALLENGE yourself to slowly add ONE more glass each day for the next week, then INcrease it ANOTHER
    I find room temp easily to get down. Drink a glass BEFORE you eat a meal.

IDEALLY you should consume( in ounces) one half your body weight. Ex. If you weigh 160, then 80 ounces ( 10- 8 oz. glasses)

It REALLY made a DRAMATIC difference in my loss- and I was REALLY skeptical about it @ first.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You must be patient. It isn't going to come off overnight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Keep you goals realistic. This isn't a race, it's a lifetime change. I am losing a little faster than you, but I would be perfectly content with your weight loss rates. It sure beats my old pattern of the scale always going up, and if it continues you will reach your goals eventually. Plus, when you reach your goals you are already practicing the lifestyle that will keep you at the weight you want to be. People who drop weight very fast never do it in a way that they can keep up for the rest of their lives.

I guess I am saying, there is as much value in this journey as there is in the destination. Maybe more so, because ideally the journey continues after the destination has been reached. At least that's what I tell myself. I have just kind have started this too.

Great perspective - and congratulations on the weigh loss so far.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I average .5 a week and that isn't every week just an average over the months I have been on here. Sometimes the scale doesn't shift for several weeks and then I bump down another pound or two. The point is it is going down, I have made a spreadsheet showing my progress and that visual aid really helps to see the downward trend. I am so pleased with my progress even if it is slow.

Don't get discouraged, look at the people on here who have lost huge amounts of weight. They started just like you did and pound by pound they lost. They never gave up they just kept plugging away and that is what you have to do.

Good luck with your journey :flowerforyou:

I love this post. I needed to read this today...right now. Thanks!!!!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is this: how long do you plan on being alive for? Another 10, 25, 50 years, or more? Even if I lose no more than a pound a week, I'll still only be dieting for about a year out of what I have left, which is nothing by comparison! And that means I get to spend that remaining time without hauling all the weight around and feeling sick all the time.

And the thing is, if you EVER want to lose the weight, you're going to have to do it at this pace. There isn't another option. So even if you get fed up and quit now, you're going to have to do it at some point. Just keep thinking in terms of the big picture!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    While I've lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks, which averages to about 1.3 lbs per week, it feels like this weight is coming off SO SLOWLY!! My pants feel slightly baggier but I still can't squeeze into a smaller size so I'm stuck in this in-between phase right now where nothing fits me well. I know the weight came on slowly and it wasn't an overnight process but I'm way too eager to get it the hell off my body and into some skinny clothes!

Okay, rant over!

Let's say you continue to lose 1lb per week, in 10 weeks time, that is another 10lbs off.

However, if you view it in a negative light as you have just done, you could end up giving up and in 10 weeks time you will still be the weight you are now.

Every week that goes by, you are just that bit lighter. Come August, you won't even be the same person x
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    You think that's bad? I lost 6 lbs in 4 months and gained it all back in a week's time. Talk about wanting to quit and saying F THIS SITE!