Help with RUNNING

Options
I just found out that in the next few months that I will be going back into the Army Reserves, but I have been out for 4 years and have lost all of my running that I could do. I have knee injury in 2001 and made it pain to run, and I would just drive on and just pass my 2 mile (often by a few seconds). I am fully recovered now and the big thing is the unit I will be going to I have to go to a school that I have to pass my run at the youngest 2 mile time. I can't even seem to get back into to running, I guess I need a Drill Seagrent in my face...lol. What I am looking for are some tips, or even sites to help me (as if I never ran a day in my life) get back into running. So any advice would be greatly apperciated!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The c25k program is great - starts you out slow with walking & running, increasing the running as the weeks go by. It's a 9 week program, running 3 days per week. I just finished it - went from a non-runner to running 3 miles. :)
  • PrettyLydie
    PrettyLydie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is what I used, they have a very informative website that has helped me a lot! I started in December, and now I am capable of doing a 10k, you can do it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    C25k is good advice, I'd also add:
    - get fitted for good shoes
    - go see a physiotherapist to get advice about how your previous injury will affect your running. Ask about stretches and strength training to help build up the right muscles to support your weaker knee. Ask if you should be strapping your knee.

Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Check out the program online, and if you have a smart phone, find an app for it (there are quite a few, some are free! I used the free one by Zen Labs). I run outside with my phone in an armband, so I can hear the prompts from the app with or without headphones.
  • TrishPretti
    TrishPretti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This was perfect, I'm on my way to look this up. I haven't been very successful looking for help with running.
  • Stutz77
    Stutz77 Posts: 113
    Options
    Thanks, my sister is trainined for fitting running shoes. So she got me set on that. Great to have her to help since she knows the injury and don't have to go over it all the time. She even has me run for her when I try different brands, to check my gait.

I do need to check with the doctor on that, thanks for that! I don't want to have any issues.
  • TrishPretti
    TrishPretti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    so i downloaded the droid app, it's cool that there is a treadmill version too
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Learning pose running has been a huge help to me. I'm dropping time and fewer injuries. Just google pose running and a ton of info and videos will pop up. The videos that break it down and give you drills are helpful.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i agree with c25k, but if your ultimate goal is a good time on 2 miles, work on c25k until you do 2 miles in one go, then dedicate one training session a week on speed training, hiit, or similar. (get someone more experienced to make a good suggestion ;-) )

I like runkeeper to keep track of my distances and timing the intervals... there are other apps for pacing etc...
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    Learning pose running has been a huge help to me. I'm dropping time and fewer injuries. Just google pose running and a ton of info and videos will pop up. The videos that break it down and give you drills are helpful.

thanks I looked it up and gave me a new insite on running and I will try this the next time I run :)