Need snack suggestions

Options
I've been trying to space out my eating a little by bringing a couple of things to work for a healthy mid morning and mid afternoon snack. It's working pretty well except that I would really like to add a little variety to it. Mostly I take things like almonds or some kind of nuts, orange sections, grapes, strawberries, carrots... Occasionally I'll take a granola bar. It needs to be something that can be thrown into a baggie and then into my desk drawer until I want it, that doesn't need to be refrigerated and that is relatively easy and not messy.

Any ideas?

Replies

• abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat nilla wafers, reduced fat cheez-its, and RED HOTS (3 calories each) are my go-to snack foods!
  • mes1921
    mes1921 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I throw anything from apples, carrots, clementines, 100 cal snack packs, string cheese (seems to be ok w/o refrig for 1/2 a day), and granola bars in my backpack to keep me going throughout the day (on campus 12-14 hours at a time). Sometimes (other than the cheese!), these will sit for up to a week in my bag before I get to them and they taste/are fine. Celery is usually a good one too. Hope this helps!
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I usually bring an apple or some fruit with me if I think I'm going to need something between breakfast & lunch. But I've been trying to pack more protein into those meals and that seems to keep me satisfied until lunch.
    I guess the things I can think of:

Fruit/veggie
    Popcorn
    Crackers
    those 100 calorie snacks (I'm not a fan of those!)
    One of those shake things??? Doesn't SlimFast have something like that?

Water! that's the biggie I have during the day.

Sorry if this isn't much help.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Trying adding some PB2 (powdered peanut butter). Mix 2 TBSP with 1 TBSP water, them dip your apple or banana in it. Comes in regular & chocolate flavors. 45 cals/2 TBSP.

Protein bars
    Light or Low Sodium String Cheese
    Bumblebee fat free tuna salad with cracker kits (150 cals)
    Ready to drink protein shakes (Premier Nutrition 160 cals or Light Muscle Milk 100 cals)
    1/2 or whole peanut butter sandwich on light bread

Just some thoughts. :)
  • nanfarb
    nanfarb Posts: 4
    Options
    I like Kraft 2% milk Cheese Sticks I think 70 or 80 calories. Also Activia Light Yogurt Peach is good for about 70 or 80 calories.
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This weekend I made some dark chocolate covered raisins. Not a whole lot of chocolate on them, but just enough to make me feel like I'm treating myself, and raisins are a good snack. I also found some Sun-Maid Yogurt Covered Raisins. I have Special K granola-type bars in my drawer. They are only 90 calories, but what I'd consider "empty calories." My favorite snack is almonds. There are pre-packaged cheese sticks, too, that might be ok out of the fridge for a few hours.
  • Yacki
    Yacki Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I take fruit and vegitables on most days as my snack. The other day I packed a small container of hummas to dip my vegi's in it was yummy. I did not refrigerate it, tasted fine to me. I also like to take dry roasted edammame- very high in protein.
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    High protein is the best, but here are some things I eat. I love sugar free jello with raspberries in it and lite cool whip about 30 calories. I also like Addictive cranberry almond thins, they are yummy for 100 calories but not really too filling. My standards are steak jerky 1 ounce is 60 calories or a low fat cheese stick for 60 calories because they are high protein and make me feel full with a full glass of water. I also love the grapefruit cups 100 calories. And my very favorite is popcorn, I eat a kind that is 35 calories a cup. Oh and my hubby and I like myaplex bars they are very high protein 190 calories, sometimes I just eat a half of one with water. Measure out 80 calories of greek gods yogurt honey flavored yum. I would love to hear your ideas too.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Seasoned hot air popcorn.

Dehydrated seasoned sweet potato chips.

Dried cinnamon dusted apple rings .:wink:
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat nilla wafers, reduced fat cheez-its, and RED HOTS (3 calories each) are my go-to snack foods!

Wait, how did I not know reduced fat cheez-its existed?? I'm going to have to find those! :laugh: Thanks!
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There are some really great ideas here, thanks so much!! I really appreciate it. :)
  • witcheekimmie
    witcheekimmie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use dry cereals. I was the one with a bag of chips constantly pre-diet. Now I substitute that with dry cereal. I put my serving size in a small bowl or zip lock bag and snack on it through the day anytime I have a snack craving.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Roasted chick peas: Chick Peas + Oil/Fat of choice (today I used a vegan butter) + salt/seasoning of choice.
  • rukshanthi
    Options
    This is from another post I wrote:

Snacks Tried and Yummy:

8 whole wheat 'light' crackers with 2 Kraft fat-free singles

1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt (Greek is yummy), strawberries (yes, this is fruit), and 2 tbsp granola

1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt sweetened with 1/2 tbsp Billy Bee's honey

1/2 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt (yes, I love yogurt)

3 cups air-popped plain popcorn (so cool to make under a clear lid!)

1/4 - 1/3 cup trail mix - cashews, almonds, pistachios, sunflower/pumpkin seeds, and peanuts, unsalted

2 tsp nestle chocolate syrup in 1 cup 2% milk

Snacks I am going to try:

cashew butter

homemade frozen yogurt

*I always add measurements because I eat mindlessly =P