Anti-Meal Spreaders

Options

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many people believe they are somehow special, and different (physiologicaly speaking) than everyone else, and basic science doesn't apply to them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    2 meals a day for 12 days. Generally about 6hr eating window.

before
    2012%2B-%2B1

after
    2012%2B-%2B1

No it's not required but when eating 1200 cals & you want to feel full after a meal is definitely my preferred way of eating :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many people believe they are somehow special, and different (physiologicaly speaking) than everyone else, and basic science doesn't apply to them.

Well, the basic "eat less, move more" applies to everyone (who doesn't have a medical reason it doesn't work), but what is "less" and what is "more" varies by person.

Even within the studies, it's based on the results of a MAJORITY, not 100% of participants.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options

If "so many people" believe it, then isn't there a good chance it is true?

@chrisdavey- Nice results. I see that it works for you. Way to go!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day. I believe more in a steady stream of nutrients. It works for me.

My diary doesn't show it because I don't really give a crap that my diary is accurate. I just put everything I eat between breakfast and dinner under lunch, and everything after dinner under snacks. I don't care what it's called. It's a food tracker for the day, I don't need to know what time I ate a carrot. Ya know?
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    I follow the Cartman rule of dieting...
    Its *MY* Body I do what I want!! ~~ They're my calories I eat when I want.

I am not big on 'structure' some weeks I get in the eating zone, then Saturday comes and I work around the house or in the yard & I eat too little because I'm working. Then I snack a whole lot & eat one meal when I realize I'm way under for the day.
    Through the week I snack and eat a big lunch, and a reasonable dinner.
    Breakfast is usually Greek yogurt & Flax seed I like to have something in my belly for the morning trip to the gym. My work out goes longer and I feel better instead of the OMG 1 more minute on this eliptical is going to kill me kill me kill me!!!

Use what works for you. Treat yourself to something once a week.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

@chrisdavey- Nice results. I see that it works for you. Way to go!

Look up the logical fallacy of Appeal to belief

And I generally get most of my cals in 1-3 meals a day
  • Sytera
    Options

Could it not be true for those people who believe it? Not everyone fits in the same shaped scientific box. Like rml_16 pointed out: "Even within the studies, it's based on the results of a MAJORITY, not 100% of participants." Maybe a study needs to be done with a large number of these believers. Some would eat their meals spread out like normal. The others would follow a 1-2 meals a day routine. Then see how those results compared. See if science could prove them wrong.
  • Acg67
    Options

Could it not be true for those people who believe it? Not everyone fits in the same shaped scientific box. Like rml_16 pointed out: "Even within the studies, it's based on the results of a MAJORITY, not 100% of participants." Maybe a study needs to be done with a large number of these believers. Some would eat their meals spread out like normal. The others would follow a 1-2 meals a day routine. Then see how those results compared. See if science could prove them wrong.

Can you give me a logical explanation of what difference would you see and why, if you tightly controlled calories and macros and just had them eat a different amount of meals?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Can you give me a logical explanation of what difference would you see and why, if you tightly controlled calories and macros and just had them eat a different amount of meals?

I would think that for most there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference as long as it was tightly controlled. But outside that control, it seems logical that some would fail at trying to force a change in meal timing because they simply weren't happy. Psychology is just as big a part of dieting as physiology. Perhaps bigger.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    The reason people get corrected, although in my opinion not really attacked except for the whole broscience thing which I personally hate, is that when they say a person must eat a certain way, they are often taking things that are purely personal preference and saying those are the things that result in weight loss while ignoring that the weight loss is because of a caloric deficit. There is lots of scientific studies that show meal timing has no effect on weight loss. Yet many keep insisting it must be 5-6 small meals a day. That is fine if it works for you, but what if it doesn't. I personally prefer 3 meals or less a day. When I ate 5-6 I was constantly having to fight hunger and other than the fact that for health reasons I had to lose the weight, I would have quit the diet like I had many times before. Once I discovered it was all about what would help me stick with my caloric deficit, not how many meals I eat, I was freed to eat the way I personally prefer, and frankly that has worked just fine for me. If I had continued to think I must eat 5-6 meals a day, I probably would have given up long ago and put the weight back on. Now I have a way to eat that I can continue for the rest of my life because it is how I prefer to eat. Thus, when someone says a person must eat 5-6 meals I day, I will respond and say, "No, that is a myth with no scientific basis." Eat at the pattern and frequency that works for you. If that means no breakfast, that is fine as long as you stay within your calories. If that is 5-6 meals, as long as it keeps you within your calories, go for it. If it is eating all your calories before 7pm so you don't indulge in mindless eating, if that works for you and keeps you within your calories good for you.
  • Sytera
    Options
    Their bodies, for one, would take some time to get used to the new meal plan. As bcattoes pointed out, while their bodies were adjusting, they may have issues staying away from food, fighting the urge to eat when they used to. Also, they may not sleep as well on an empty or full stomach, depending on when they were eating their 1-2 huge meals.

What if their bodies do actually need to eat spread out meals/snacks to process it all properly? What if eating a huge amount late at night did cause them to gain or stop losing weight? What if for those people their metabolism did take a hit eating less often? Yes, these are "what ifs", but no one has the answers because no one has done a study specifically on people who claim to need to eat at frequent intervals. Or if they have, I haven't seen it.

I'm a fan of making informed decisions. So far, I've only seen one side of the argument. Yes, it is scientific but there is another side to it, too, which hasn't been studied in depth.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Their bodies, for one, would take some time to get used to the new meal plan. As bcattoes pointed out, while their bodies were adjusting, they may have issues staying away from food, fighting the urge to eat when they used to. Also, they may not sleep as well on an empty or full stomach, depending on when they were eating their 1-2 huge meals.

What if their bodies do actually need to eat spread out meals/snacks to process it all properly? What if eating a huge amount late at night did cause them to gain or stop losing weight? What if for those people their metabolism did take a hit eating less often? Yes, these are "what ifs", but no one has the answers because no one has done a study specifically on people who claim to need to eat at frequent intervals. Or if they have, I haven't seen it.

I'm a fan of making informed decisions. So far, I've only seen one side of the argument. Yes, it is scientific but there is another side to it, too, which hasn't been studied in depth.

I think the answer is not to fight about the science, but rather use trial and error for your own body to figure out what works FOR YOU.

When I offer advice, it's always in the context of, "This worked for me, so you may want to try it. But it may not work for you."
  • Sytera
    Options
    Eat at the pattern and frequency that works for you. If that means no breakfast, that is fine as long as you stay within your calories. If that is 5-6 meals, as long as it keeps you within your calories, go for it. If it is eating all your calories before 7pm so you don't indulge in mindless eating, if that works for you and keeps you within your calories good for you.

Great point. Everyone is different and has different needs. I guess I just have an unrealistic dream of people respecting one another and offering sound advice instead of throwing out terms such as "broscience". I want to see all sides of everything and maybe that is from all the research I have done in making sound decisions for my children. Maybe I should just let this one go for now instead of continuing to question it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Eat at the pattern and frequency that works for you. If that means no breakfast, that is fine as long as you stay within your calories. If that is 5-6 meals, as long as it keeps you within your calories, go for it. If it is eating all your calories before 7pm so you don't indulge in mindless eating, if that works for you and keeps you within your calories good for you.

Great point. Everyone is different and has different needs. I guess I just have an unrealistic dream of people respecting one another and offering sound advice instead of throwing out terms such as "broscience". I want to see all sides of everything and maybe that is from all the research I have done in making sound decisions for my children. Maybe I should just let this one go for now instead of continuing to question it.

The brosicence term is usually invoked when people say, "It worked for me, so it WILL work for everyone else."

That just isn't the case much of the time. It's different than just offering options. Saying it's the be all and end all answer is the problem.
  • Acg67
    Options

I think you missed the numerous posts that agree that it is all personal preference but it becomes broscience or bad advice when someone says you MUST eat X times a day and then inserts some BS reason (keep blood sugar under control, speed up your metabolism, your body can only absorb 30g of pro per meal etc etc)
  • Sytera
    Options
    My point is, what if THOSE people, the ones others are saying "you MUST ***" to, really DO need to do those things? What if they haven't tried it and it is what will work for their body? I don't see why it is BS to tell them they need to do something different that really may actually be what works for them.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My point is, what if THOSE people, the ones others are saying "you MUST ***" to, really DO need to do those things? What if they haven't tried it and it is what will work for their body? I don't see why it is BS to tell them they need to do something different that really may actually be what works for them.

No one tells them not to do it. People tell them to quit telling others that they have to.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

There is a real difference between "Have you tried" and "You need to". There is also a difference between helping psychologically and helping physiologically.

The frequent meals are not what is keeping your metabolism going. For some people, though, they keep blood sugar regulated, they keep food constantly going in so the person feels less hungry, or for people who are trying to increase calories, they increase the amount of food eaten without overfilling the belly.

So yes, when someone says "You need to eat 6 meals a day to keep your metabolism going", people will link to the studies showing this is false.

On the other hand, if someone asks for advice on controlling mealtime binging, someone might well say "perhaps you might try eat more frequent, smaller meals so that you aren't quite as hungry at mealtime", which is a perfectly legitimate point.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. Some days I have time to eat more meals than others so I spread them out and I also eat 3 meals a day. I am getting results with both of them.