Protein?

Options
I am 12g over on my protein but short on everything else including calories. Is it really bad to go over on my protein?

Replies

• kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am 12g over on my protein but short on everything else including calories. Is it really bad to go over on my protein?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,115 Member
    Options
    It's ok to go over on protein, we almost all do. Your body needs protein to build muscle. If you are eating lean protein, and exercising, it isn't going to "mess up" your weight loss.

~Cheryl
  • jennijane
    Options
    i have the opposite problem! i eat way over on carbs (who knew that a grapefruit has 40 g of carbs!)... but i can't get close to my protein requirement. i'm a vegetarian... hmmm
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    you can customize how you want to intake your calories. I do 50% carbs 25% fat and 25% protein (rather than 55,30,15) and rarely ever go over. (Thanks songbrdsweet) Just go to goals, change goals ,custom and go from there.
    HTH
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    you can customize how you want to intake your calories. I do 50% carbs 25% fat and 25% protein (rather than 55,30,15) and rarely ever go over. (Thanks songbrdsweet) Just go to goals, change goals ,custom and go from there.
    HTH
  • katherine30
    Options
    eat nuts and beans ie peanut butter
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,115 Member
    Options
    i have the opposite problem! i eat way over on carbs (who knew that a grapefruit has 40 g of carbs!)... but i can't get close to my protein requirement. i'm a vegetarian... hmmm

Beans, bean soup, black beans on brown rice, edamame if you have fat to spare, nuts in small quantities due to their high fat also.

Here is one of my favorite bean recipes - serve hot on rice, in tacos or enchiladas, or serve cold as a side dish or on salad. I just polished off a big batch - lots of protein and all veggie.

BLACKEYE PEA CORN SALSA
    ½ cup chopped red onion
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro
    ½ cup chopped yellow pepper, or any combination of colorful bell peppers
    1 can (14 oz.) Diced Tomatoes – Mexican style (you can use salsa as a sub, mix to equal 1 ½ cups approx.)
    ¼ cup Lite Red Wine Vinegar Dressing – I sub ¼ cup red wine vinegar and 2 tbsp. EVOO

Spices to taste:

• 1 tbsp. Cholula or hot sauce
    • Fresh ground pepper
    • 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke or 2 tbsp Bar-b-que sauce (blend with liquids)
    • Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning the HOT version, or ground chilies

In a large bowl, combine
    Peas
    Corn
    Celery
    Red Onion
    Cilantro
    ½ of the tomatoes and or salsa ( for chunky color)

Blend the remaining ½ amount of tomatoes or salsa with vinegar, EVOO, hot sauce, Liquid Smoke (or BBQ), and seasoning. You can blend all the tomato products, I just like leaving some chunks in the mix.

Pour blended ingredients over salad and toss. Chill.
    Spoon onto lettuce leaves. Serves 8.