Larabar Banana Bread: If you haven't tried them don't bother

Options
I bought four of these little bars yesterday to try and now I wish I didn't! I love banana bread and I assumed that you can't really go wrong with such a basic recipe, but these bars don't taste remotely like any banana bread that I have tasted! Infact they taste really horrible! Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, but unfortuately not taste free! They are really bitter and have a gluggy texture. Perhaps the other flavors are better I don't know? Furthermore at a whopping 230 calories per tiny bar, I'll stick with my Luna Bars thanks very much!

Replies

• brandysilvers
    brandysilvers Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you about the banana bread larabars they are awful, but every other flavor I tried has been good. My personal favorite is the peanut butter chocolate chip. Yummy! My next favorite is the coconut cream pie. I would give some of the others a try before writing off larabars.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    OMG, they taste like batteries and earwax!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried that flavor but I love the Apple Pie. Just tried coconut something and cashew cookie, prob won't buy either again. Great to grab when I don't have something easy ready,
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options

eewwww thanks for the heads up!!
    Stick with my marathon snickers trail mix bar!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    It's my 3rd fave! I hate chocolate and I don't like peanut butter with foods like that. It's a wannabe fancy dessert item. The only one I really like is the Key Lime and Cherry Pie. Those are deeeelish! Just the whiff of the Jocolat bars makes me want to hurl. They smell so bad!
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I bought four of these little bars yesterday to try and now I wish I didn't! I love banana bread and I assumed that you can't really go wrong with such a basic recipe, but these bars don't taste remotely like any banana bread that I have tasted! Infact they taste really horrible! Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, but unfortuately not taste free! They are really bitter and have a gluggy texture. Perhaps the other flavors are better I don't know? Furthermore at a whopping 230 calories per tiny bar, I'll stick with my Luna Bars thanks very much!

And you have three more!!! :brokenheart:
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    mmmmm I love luna bars! smores is my favorite!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options

Curious as to how you know what these taste like, and how you know what they taste like together? Lol.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I tried the Luna or Lara bars and it tasted like it had alcohol in it to me. I just couldn't eat it.
  • jwil1231
    jwil1231 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I recently was given the coconut cream pie one this past week and it was hummmphl. Not all that, try the Atkins bars, I eat the chocolate coconut alot and they are only about 170 calories, also the Balance bars are a great choice too. I like them better than the Larabar and since I count my calories that additional 50 calories could be used on something I like better. :drinker:
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree about the Larabar Banana Bread flavor- I don't know why they taste so awful?!?

But I like a lot of the other flavors, particularly the Apple Pie and Coconut Cream Pie ones. Don't write them off!

The reason someone would choose Larabars over Luna or Cliff bars or some other bar is because they are made with just a few basic ingredients- fruit and nuts. Nothing else added (i.e. weird flavors and soy protein isolate, etc). So if you are looking for a minimalist, REAL FOOD type of bar, they are perfect!

.....just don't get the Banana Bread ones!!!!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Curious as to how you know what these taste like, and how you know what they taste like together? Lol.

You don't want to know. Just know that I know :ohwell:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love larabars! I really like the cashew cookie and the cherry one. I have yet to try the apple but I will. I wouldn't be interested in the banana bread ones but anything that is GF and with no chemicals is always something I will try.