Is there a better measuring stick than BMI?

Replies

• I personally like to use body fat calculator... Women should have at the least 10% body fat, according to what i've read... http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/ there is a chart that explains where you are at... and you can calculate what you actual goal weight should be... I found out mine was too low based on BMI...
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    My BMI range says that I'd have to weight 140 lbs to be at the low end. I'm damn near 6'! 140 lbs? W/E!!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Totally agree with all.

Plenty of bodyfat calculators on the web, just take a few measurements. It isn't perfect, either, but you can still gauge progress over time.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Hey there I am a US Navy command fitness leader and we do use an altered form of bmi to measure people. However I have been fighting this for years. When bmi was developed it was meant to be applied to a large group of people. So if 8000 people averaged 5'8" and weighed 175lbs then they would find the bmi for that group. This works out to be a group representation because some may have a lot of muscle while others have little to none so it balances. However it was never meant to be applied to a single person so the math doesn't add up. As said previously body fat percentage is the most accurate. I fall in at a 28 on bmi (dangerously heavy)but I am only at 11% percent body fat(very athletic). A body fat measurement is not hard to get. Many gyms have the service as well as your doctors office next time you go in for a physical (which you should do before starting a new exercise routine and diet). Also chck with your work. Many companies have wonderful programs for fitness because it saves them money on healthcare. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Well, I don't think it takes BMI stats to figure out how overweight/obese Americans are. Just walk around any mall and take a look around. And, I was one of those overweight people! It's startling to me, the difference between how the average person "looked" say when I was in high school versus now.

But, I don't think BMI is a bad thing. Yes, as an individual it can take into account your age and gender in addition to your weight and height. I found one calculator on one of the more popular medical websites (can't find it now) which also allowed you to input other factors if you knew them, such as frame size (by elbow measurement) and body fat percentage.

I think most "generic" BMI calculators have a disclaimer that they don't work for truly athletically fit people. But, most Americans certainly don't fall into that category.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    For the average person, BMI is not a bad measuring stick. The exceptions are people with lots of muscle tissue and low body fat (bodybuilders are the classic example). I think we have a distorted view of what is healthy in our society and most of us don't realize that we are, in fact, that overweight.

I didn't believe it either. I was a good ways into the "obese" category when I started and I didn't look it really. Doesn't change the fact that I was obese.

As much as it sucks, it might be a good wakeup call to realize that you are borderline obese. That doesn't mean you can't do athletic things, but that you're carrying too much weight on you.

FWIW, I think the limits on the normal/healthy and overweight line is too low for some people, but not the obese/overweight line.

You should also have your body fat measurements done via BodPod or Dexa scan. They are the best way to know your body composition.

Sorry Elizabeth, I have to disagree with you on this one. The BMI scale was never intended to measure individuals, but was designed as a method for assessing populations. To apply it as it is currently used by the NHS/Insurance companies etc is quite simply a misapplication. Many people, not just body-builders, who are of greater-than-average physical structure quite simply do not fit within the parameters as they currently stand.

The WHO has reduced the guidelines several times since the current version was first used, as they expanded their reach to typically-smaller-framed non-Caucasian societies and needed to factor in their populations (critical word that - the WHO's primary use for BMI is the correct one - measuring populations, rather than individuals) and their associated predispositions. There are many people (particularly of Nordic, North/Eastern European and Celtic descent) whose frames and genetic predisposition to muscularity place them outside the current guidelines for 'health', yet are entirely healthy.

BMI's popular use has more to do with being cheap, requiring little more than a scale, a tape measure and a calculator, and relatively simple to assess than with being any real guide to healthy body composition. The OP may well be 'borderline obese' by the BMI standard, but very healthy using an appropriate method to measure an individual's physical health, rather than a misapplied, generic catch-all.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 278 Member
    Sure - but generally they are a pain to use. BMI is actually pretty good for most people and I think you can adapt a bit for gender and frame (use your wrist measurement to determine your frame small/med/big)
    Other easy stuff is waist hip ratio-Im not sure how that applies to men...Or the humble tape measure. Waist circumference can be related to incidence of heart disease - but that just gives you a number you shouldn't be bigger than.

But most of us havent got sophisticated body fat measuring equipment lying about at home so BMI it is
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    BMI is generally used for population based standards. For individuals your doctor will likely use BMI in combination with either waist to height or waist to hip ratio. This gives a much better picture of heatlhy weight. I am slightly in the overweight BMI category, but with either waist to height or waist to hip added I drop into the healthy weight category.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    BMI gets a much worse rap than it deserves.

Granted it doesn't work for everyone as mentioned above, but for most people it is an accurate representation. The people it doesn't work on would tend to be the sort of people who know about their health and don't need to worry about the BMI reading.

The argument against BMI gets used far too readily to dismiss it where people who are overweight decide that they clearly have lots of muscle under there and that is why it is out. The truth is that if you are overweight on the BMI scale then you are actually overweight.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Most Americans are very much obese. We are starting to be a country that thinks an obese body is "healthy" and people that are healthy are just skinny bithches that need to eat. The only real situation where BMI doesn't work is with body builders. I'm not talking about some guy that does p90x, I'm talking real body building. If you're just a normal person that exercises, BMI will not be off for you. Nothing is 100%, but for the average person, I think BMI is pretty right on. I would challenge you if you think BMI is incorrect, to go get a body fat test and see where you are and what it says. 90% of you that think your "healthy" might learn differently. That's not a negative thing at all. It's always good to know where you have to improve. The best way to drop fat is to not eat any. Easier said than done though.

While I think Body Fat is much better than BMI

You are spot on!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    For the average person, BMI is not a bad measuring stick. The exceptions are people with lots of muscle tissue and low body fat (bodybuilders are the classic example). I think we have a distorted view of what is healthy in our society and most of us don't realize that we are, in fact, that overweight.

I didn't believe it either. I was a good ways into the "obese" category when I started and I didn't look it really. Doesn't change the fact that I was obese.

As much as it sucks, it might be a good wakeup call to realize that you are borderline obese. That doesn't mean you can't do athletic things, but that you're carrying too much weight on you.

FWIW, I think the limits on the normal/healthy and overweight line is too low for some people, but not the obese/overweight line.

You should also have your body fat measurements done via BodPod or Dexa scan. They are the best way to know your body composition.

Sorry Elizabeth, I have to disagree with you on this one. The BMI scale was never intended to measure individuals, but was designed as a method for assessing populations. To apply it as it is currently used by the NHS/Insurance companies etc is quite simply a misapplication. Many people, not just body-builders, who are of greater-than-average physical structure quite simply do not fit within the parameters as they currently stand.

The WHO has reduced the guidelines several times since the current version was first used, as they expanded their reach to typically-smaller-framed non-Caucasian societies and needed to factor in their populations (critical word that - the WHO's primary use for BMI is the correct one - measuring populations, rather than individuals) and their associated predispositions. There are many people (particularly of Nordic, North/Eastern European and Celtic descent) whose frames and genetic predisposition to muscularity place them outside the current guidelines for 'health', yet are entirely healthy.

BMI's popular use has more to do with being cheap, requiring little more than a scale, a tape measure and a calculator, and relatively simple to assess than with being any real guide to healthy body composition. The OP may well be 'borderline obese' by the BMI standard, but very healthy using an appropriate method to measure an individual's physical health, rather than a misapplied, generic catch-all.

I understand your perspective, but the flip side of that is that we need some kind of standard measure of one's "overweightness" (not sure what word to use for that). I'm saying that the BMI measure is a good ROUGH guide to your body weight/height ratio if you are an average build (not an athlete, bodybuilder, etc.). There's wiggle room on the boundaries for sure based on size, your frame, and more importantly, your quantities of muscle and lean mass/fat ratio.

Far too many people use "BMI is a bad measurement" as an excuse to live in obesity. This is the problem with arguments like the one you're making.

While I understand the statistic is meant to used for the population as a whole, with few exceptions, it does apply to individuals by definition who are in that average build category which is most people.

I also think that the excuse of ignoring BMI goes to further distort our view of what is "healthy" weight in society. America is fat. Very very fat. It's not unusual for women to be 35%+ body fat and still think they're "healthy" or "just a little overweight." Average Americans now are overweight, and in some parts of the country obese. That's the AVERAGE.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Anything is better than BMI.

Agreed! I'm 5'2" and 120ish lbs. I wear a size 0 in work pants, 2 in dresses and 1/2 in jeans. I'm technically just under obese at 22.3%. That's absurd. I would have to be anorexic to be in the athletic range. When I went to the doctor and had blood work done, I was well within athletic range for all of my tests.

BMI sucks. Another thing that really pisses me off is that I'm considered at risk for heart disease because of my hip to waist ratio. 33 and 27, respectively. I'm not sure what else I can do to make myself be "healthy" on these ridiculous generic tests. And, again, all of my tests came back WELL WITHIN the athletic range. Some are almost so low that they dipping into too low. The doctors praised me...highly.

I ran 70 miles in March. Going for 100 in April. I run races. I lift and do kickboxing, Step and Zumba....but I'm unhealthy.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    While the term BMI was invented in the 1970's, the formula dates back to 1830 !
  • Mdlea
    Mdlea Posts: 25 Member
    I see the point about BMI standards being used for general population, but not being so good for an individual. I had a friend who was skinny and didn't weigh all that much, but he was flabby. His BMI would have shown him to be healthy or perhaps even too light. A low-body-fat, highly muscled athlete would likely show up as at least overweight via BMI.

I do not even remotely suggest that America in general is not trending towards overweight/obese. All it takes is a quick walk around the mall (or workplace) and you can see that. The mirror and the fit of my clothes firmly convinced me of that a few months back.

I just want to have something to personally shoot for. Body fat percentage is probably a much better indicator. That, along with how I feel physically. In three months, I've lost 40 pounds and gone from 20 minute walks up to 2+ hour road bike rides and multi-mile runs. I'm not there yet, but I will be.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    I see the point about BMI standards being used for general population, but not being so good for an individual. I had a friend who was skinny and didn't weigh all that much, but he was flabby. His BMI would have shown him to be healthy or perhaps even too light. A low-body-fat, highly muscled athlete would likely show up as at least overweight via BMI.

I do not even remotely suggest that America in general is not trending towards overweight/obese. All it takes is a quick walk around the mall (or workplace) and you can see that. The mirror and the fit of my clothes firmly convinced me of that a few months back.

I just want to have something to personally shoot for. Body fat percentage is probably a much better indicator. That, along with how I feel physically. In three months, I've lost 40 pounds and gone from 20 minute walks up to 2+ hour road bike rides and multi-mile runs. I'm not there yet, but I will be.

This is a good way to look at it. While the BMI scale is useful to see roughly where you stand, body fat is much better. Totally agree with you there.

Get a scan done. That way you know, then you can decide what to do next.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    I ran 70 miles in March. Going for 100 in April. I run races. I do kickboxing, Step and Zumba....but I'm unhealthy.

Here's the problem with this statement. You're confusing excess body fat with "unhealthy." BMI is just a measure of your weight/height ratio as it relates to the general population. Just because you're overweight or even obese doesn't mean you can't live a healthy lifestyle, but it does mean you're carrying a lot more weight on your frame than someone who is "average" or "healthy" size. (the word "healthy" is being confounded in the BMI calculations).

The truth of it is that people who are generally considered overweight or obese are at higher risk for disease and other serious health concerns. That does not mean that YOU are. Just that, on average, people who fall into that group are.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Bump!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    I ran 70 miles in March. Going for 100 in April. I run races. I do kickboxing, Step and Zumba....but I'm unhealthy.

The truth of it is that people who are generally considered overweight or obese are at higher risk for disease and other serious health concerns. That does not mean that YOU are. Just that, on average, people who fall into that group are.

Pretty sure you just proved why people are saying these generic tests aren't good for individual assessment and why I'm complaining, personally, about them. I'm "unhealthy" when I type my stats into these calculators, but I'm actually not. Doctor/blood work proven.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I use the waist to height ratio and body fat %- because Im really tall and have a high % of lean mass- my BMI is always always going to listme at overeight and I really hope it dies a painful hunger games type death.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member

Pretty sure you just proved why people are saying these generic tests aren't good for individual assessment and why I'm complaining, personally, about them. I'm "unhealthy" when I type my stats into these calculators, but I'm actually not. Doctor/blood work proven.

Exactly!!!! And that's why these generic tests do get the bad rep. they get - BMI is too generic and too non-specific to really be a guide to anything other than where you fall in comparison to the rest of the population, and what the range among the population is. Which is what it was designed for. NOT for assessing an individual's health and the risk they may or may not be at, which is what it is all-too-commonly used for.