Hi low carb or Atkins people?

Options
Would like to find some people who have tried or are trying low carb. I am starting but I am quite nervous considering it goes against everything I have been taught about losing weight. Just wanted people with experience and knowledge to chat with on this subject.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Diet's don't last. If you have any doubts, then it's probably not a lifestyle you can live with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gigilly
    Gigilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oioioi! Many years ago, my then boyfriend told me that "we were gaining weight and we needed to diet". So there was this "new" Atkin's diet that our friend had tried and had lost a lot of weight on. So we decided to do it for 2 weeks. End result is he lost 12 lbs and I lost 1 lb, my sense of humour and the ability to look at meat for a long time.
    Personally, I cannot do it because of the amount of endurance activities that I like to do, but that is just my lifestyle. There were a couple of interesting studies done on various diet methods and the conclusion was that they all worked more or less in the same way. The different groups lost the same amount of weight and managed to keep from gaining about the same among groups for the year following the diets. The biggest issue was the ability to adhere to a certain diet and the satisfaction rating for the food.
    I think as long as you feel that you are getting what you need energy wise and that you are also getting all your essential nutrients there are a couple of good diets to follow. Just never get to the point that you feel anxious or stressed (or starved!) by it because that is a good way to impact negatively on your healthy lifestyle journey.
  • ronellevan
    Options
    I started a low carb diet (50g to 75g carbs a day from veggies only) last week and am absolutely loving it!
    The food we're allowed to eat suits me perfectly. The few foods high in carbs I might miss are a long forgotten memory now that i can have bacon and egss for breakfast every day.
    Yay!

I did do atkins a few years back and it worked very well for me.

I think this will be a new lifestyle diet for me. Once I am at my desired weight, I can add in more carbs until I find the perfect maintenance space.

Try it at least, see if it fits. if it doesn't, there are plenty other diets out there you can try.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I started a low carb diet (50g to 75g carbs a day from veggies only) last week and am absolutely loving it!
    The food we're allowed to eat suits me perfectly. The few foods high in carbs I might miss are a long forgotten memory now that i can have bacon and egss for breakfast every day.
    Yay!

I did do atkins a few years back and it worked very well for me.

I think this will be a new lifestyle diet for me. Once I am at my desired weight, I can add in more carbs until I find the perfect maintenance space.

Try it at least, see if it fits. if it doesn't, there are plenty other diets out there you can try.

Thx I think I will stick with it. Day 2 is almost over and I feel good. I have suffered from some allergy symptoms for quite some time and wonder if they might be gluten related....as well as not feeling great after eating white stuff. Will have to see how it goes. I know a lot of people say "well once you go off it you will regain it all back" I believe that is true, but is also true for any other diet or weight loss program. I just find I need something laid out for me for it to work....thx for the reply.
  • aeprevette
    aeprevette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    research some on insulin. it promote a fat storage state when its coursing through your veins. i keep my carbs 50g-100g most of the time and it works for me. if your healthy fat intake is right you wont feel an energy loss. the human body is a machine and it adapts to the energy sources its given. weeks and months later, i do fine on less carbs. but starting out, i def felt the energy drag and the mental fog. read up on insulin and what it does to aging your body and other factors like inflammation. it shouldnt be overlooked. there was a recent study ..2 days of low carb dieting resulted in more fat loss than a week of regular higher carb dieting. its no doubt an intensifier. BUT calories rule. you can drop lbs eating mcdonalds if your in a deficit. period.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say "well once you go off it you will regain it all back" I believe that is true, but is also true for any other diet or weight loss program. I just find I need something laid out for me for it to work....thx for the reply.

That is not exclusive to Atkins. There are just loads of people that have dieted in different ways and as soon as they stopped - they gained it back. Atkins, weight watchers, Jenny Craig, etc.

The secret is NOT a diet but changing the habits forever that take you back to where you were. I follow a low carb style because I prefer it. Not because it is a gimmick. I can easily live like this the rest of my life. Took a bit to get past the bread cravings but now I not only don't miss it - I feel bloated when I eat too much of it (or any carbs for that matter).
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I cut out grains a few months ago and feel great. So many IBS and blood sugar symptoms are gone, and I had never previously had any reason to think I had issues with them. Gave my gut a chance to heal and now I feel and look better.

I don't worry about counting carbs but they've obviously dropped. This isn't a diet for me, it's learning how my body reacts to certain things and making lifestyle changes.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Would like to find some people who have tried or are trying low carb. I am starting but I am quite nervous considering it goes against everything I have been taught about losing weight. Just wanted people with experience and knowledge to chat with on this subject.
    When I first made the switch from low cal to low carb it was hard to change my way of thinking. Even though I was lowering my carbs I still wanted to lower my fat and calories too. Low carb dieting simply doesn't work as well if you don't eat enough fat. I try to get my fat from avocados, macadamia nuts, olive oil, and coconut oil. Fat is better than protein when you're low carbing. I try to keep my daily ratios at 75% fat / 24% protein / 1% carbs. It cuts hunger and cravings. Good luck!!! Feel free to add me:wink:
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Atkins or not, if you eat fewer calories than you burn then you're going to lose weight. There's really no reason at all to limit the foods you eat so long as you stay within your caloric limit. But if fad diets are what it takes to keep you from overeating, go for it.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    research some on insulin. it promote a fat storage state when its coursing through your veins. i keep my carbs 50g-100g most of the time and it works for me. if your healthy fat intake is right you wont feel an energy loss. the human body is a machine and it adapts to the energy sources its given. weeks and months later, i do fine on less carbs. but starting out, i def felt the energy drag and the mental fog. read up on insulin and what it does to aging your body and other factors like inflammation. it shouldnt be overlooked. there was a recent study ..2 days of low carb dieting resulted in more fat loss than a week of regular higher carb dieting. its no doubt an intensifier. BUT calories rule. you can drop lbs eating mcdonalds if your in a deficit. period.

I agree with everything!!! I am on a low carb diet because of health issues but I have also done research. You really should do some research and find out what it is all about. I love the low carb lifestyle and will NEVER go back to high carb and over processed foods. I feel sooooooo much better. :)

It is worth looking into. Research then decide. :)
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Atkins or not, if you eat fewer calories than you burn then you're going to lose weight. There's really no reason at all to limit the foods you eat so long as you stay within your caloric limit. But if fad diets are what it takes to keep you from overeating, go for it.

For most people, low carbs is not a "fad diet" - its a healthy way of eating for life.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That is not exclusive to Atkins. There are just loads of people that have dieted in different ways and as soon as they stopped - they gained it back. Atkins, weight watchers, Jenny Craig, etc.

The secret is NOT a diet but changing the habits forever that take you back to where you were. I follow a low carb style because I prefer it. Not because it is a gimmick. I can easily live like this the rest of my life. Took a bit to get past the bread cravings but now I not only don't miss it - I feel bloated when I eat too much of it (or any carbs for that matter).

I feel the same way!!! I thought it was just me. I feel so bloated and sluggish when I eat too many carbs. Its nice to know that some one else feels that way and its not just in my head!
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Google search insulin resistance, please. Some people cannot process sugar and carbs for metabolic reasons!
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mynameisbt
    Mynameisbt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting down my carbs for the past 6 months and I have seen great benefits. I have lost some weight and body fat and have managed to keep it off, my HDL cholesterol has gone up, LDL cholesterol has gone down and my Triglycerides are extremely low (under 45).

I say try it for a couple weeks and see if you like it.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Man I wish when people are looking for support specifically for low carb the naysayers would stay away. There is nothing hard about sticking to low carb and contrary to what some believe it is not calories in and calories out for everyone, if that were the case I'd still be 118 lbs. I'm a life long low carber. I have primary CI (carbohydrate intolerance) and it took me a long time to come to terms with that but since I've been doing what I am supposed to do my weight is falling off and my allergies have disappeared, I don't get heartburn anymore, as for the energy thing, I workout 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, work 2 part time jobs, am a full time student and a single mom, my energy is not lacking. Feel free to add me, we can all use all the support we can get.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I watched the movie 'Fathead' and it just made sense; no processed carbs..........it's on Netflix...and it gives the science and reasoning behind lots of things that you may be doubting. It's just additional information.

Good luck! Feel free to add me as well :flowerforyou:
  • thecrazy1
    thecrazy1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad there are people out there lke me, I thought I was alone. I have been yo-yo dieting for years i lose some weight and then it all goes back on plus some. I have suffered for years with bowel problems also migraines lethagy and other problems I was even tested for celiac disease and was told it was borderline. recently I decided to cut back on the carbs in order to shift some weight but what I discoverd was healthy (ish) eating with no more bowel problems loads more energy and less frequent migraines. I eat loads more vegetables, fish and chicken and some red meat . So why do carbs make people feel so bad? Is there some kind of intolerance?
    I must admit it is harder to find low carb foods nowdays, there are loads of (free from) in the supermarket but not much else.
    I have manage to cut out bread, pasta, rice and potato. It is difficult to find what to eat every day and it just shows how convienient carbs were but this is a new lifesyle for me so there is no gong back now. I do find reaching my calorie goal of 1500 cals quite hard but any tips greatly appreciated.
    Although this is for lfe i am going to Paris at the end of june and need to shift 3 stone how likely is it?

Thanks