5-HTP... experiences?

Options
Tried 5-htp today and felt slightly stoned all day (didn't even drive anywhere)... it's a natural supplement that is supposed to help with stress/anxiety and curbing appetite (tom on the way), but by the evening, I had the munchies lol! ordered pizza delivery (have not done that in months)... no bueno, at least thankful it wasn't a workday ;-) The food diary though... ugh!

The recommended dosage seems to range from 50mg-600mg per day. I took one 100mg capsule this morning. I had done some extensive research on it beforehand, so I knew people use it for a variety of reasons, including insomnia, ADD, depression, etc. Seemed that since it increases serotonin, it would be better for me during the daytime hours for my purposes.

Thoughts?

Replies

• 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Its used primarily as a natural aid for mental disorders. Bipolar, anxiety, schizo, etc. I've taking it and had no effects at all on me...I'm still crazy, ate like there was no tomorrow and I still have a high anxiety level.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin, and produces the effects of serotonin. This is similar to the actions of SSRI, SNRI, etc (all the newer anti-depressants).

It has a vast effect on the central nervous system.

Honestly, I'd be sure to talk to a Doc about it. Any current medications your take especially blood pressure and anxiety/anti depressants have a high change to interact.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd be sure to talk to a Doc about it. Any current medications your take especially blood pressure and anxiety/anti depressants have a high change to interact.

Yes, good point I should have mentioned that I take no other meds, only a multi-vitamin. Went through the entire compatibility list on drugs.com for possible interactions... all clear.
  • HorrorGeek
    HorrorGeek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you take anti-depressants, adding 5-HTP will dramatically increase your risk for serotonin syndrome, which can be fatal.

If you are taking anti-depressants, ditch the 5-HTP immediately.

If you aren't, and you had that kind of reaction, I'm betting your serotonin works just fine and is in ample supply and the supplement boosted you too much. Serotonin is good, too much is bad. That is one herbal supplement that should not be taken lightly. Try meditation or herbal teas for stress instead.
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Try meditation or herbal teas for stress instead.

Yep, gonna stick with those for sure from now on. Thanks for your reply and the additional info!
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Is it possible to "flush" the "extra" serotonin out of the body?

Gonna have to look that up...
  • HorrorGeek
    HorrorGeek Posts: 18 Member
    Options

If you don't take anymore, and you aren't on anti-depressants, your body will re-regulate itself within a day. My 5-HTP experiment went horribly awry (my anti-depressants stopped working, I tried to "boost" them with 5-HTP...bad, BAD idea) but luckily, the body is pretty smart and fixed the damage before it become an emergency.
  • paxetamore
    Options

If you don't take anymore, and you aren't on anti-depressants, your body will re-regulate itself within a day. My 5-HTP experiment went horribly awry (my anti-depressants stopped working, I tried to "boost" them with 5-HTP...bad, BAD idea) but luckily, the body is pretty smart and fixed the damage before it become an emergency.

Thanks again!

I am happy to hear your situation did not become an emergency :flowerforyou:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I bought some a couple years ago. didn't do anything for me.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I take an SSRI... personally I would not touch 5HTP because the standards of clinical trials are supposedly quite poor.

I think the marketing of it as being 'natural' is just slightly overstated. Sure, it's a naturally occurring amino-acid, but by no means does the stuff in the bottle come from a natural source.

Because I am a scientist who is well-versed in the construction of a good experimental clinical trial, i would much rather use something that has been adequately tested than something that has not.
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I bought some a couple years ago. didn't do anything for me.

Compared to my experience, that sounds like a GOOD thing.
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I take an SSRI... personally I would not touch 5HTP because the standards of clinical trials are supposedly quite poor.

I think the marketing of it as being 'natural' is just slightly overstated. Sure, it's a naturally occurring amino-acid, but by no means does the stuff in the bottle come from a natural source.

Because I am a scientist who is well-versed in the construction of a good experimental clinical trial, i would much rather use something that has been adequately tested than something that has not.

Point well taken. Thank you :-)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    After a bit of research, I asked my doctor if I could try using 5-HTP to help me with mild depression (my Mom passed away in Dec, and I'm still in quite a funk). I wanted to avoid going on a SSRI, and 5-HTP was touted as a milder alternative, with less side effects. I had hoped it would help with my low energy levels and low moods.

I have been on it for well over a month now (100mg x 2/day), and I have found that it has actually *increased* my appetite by two-fold. While I have always had a healthy appetite, I don't seem satiated after eating like I normally do, since taking the 5-HTP. Not good! :-/

In the meantime, I've read a lot of contradictory information about how 5-HTP can affect appetite... some references refer to it as an appetite supressant, while others say it can increase appetite. ???

I guess it all comes down to how each individual reacts to it. I haven't really noticed a lot of lift in my mood or energy, personally. It's pricey, and with such a lack of results, I've decided to stop taking it.