Females doing Heavy Weight Training

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Form is critical, on squats make sure your knees don't go past your toes and your hips go below your knees in the hole.

Close, but actually your hips should be below your knees. You want to reach parallel or just below parallel in order to fully engage your hamstrings and glutes. By not going all the way down you're actually risking knee injury.

I believe that's what they said.
    Rereading you're right. When I first read it I read it as make sure your knees don't go past your toes and your hips (don't) go below your knees. Then again, mixing positives and negatives together always throw me off. :laugh:

I read it the way you did at first as well lol.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Bump =) Thanks for the awesome question!
  • savvy85
    savvy85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name's Laura,
    I'm currently 158lb and 5'7" my goal is to be in the 130's. At the moment my fat % is around 23.5%

I've come across quite a few success stories on here that claim it was heavy weight training that has given them their success. I've read a particular story that seemed to fit my situation very well, and I thought that maybe heavy weights is what I need to be doing to get rid of that extra layer of fat.

I've asked a few male friends what they do at the gym to get an idea and told them that I wanted to start lifting heavy... the amount of ignorance out there! You wouldn't believe it! "Why do you want to lift heavy?" "Just tone" "What! You want to be a body builder?" It was frustrating, so now I turn to you, MFP folk and hope for a more informed response :-)

I've started heavy weight training just last week, and I guess what confuses me, or what I'd like to know is:

1. What is your heavy weight routine?
    2. Do you do cardio with training or only on off days or both or neither.
    3. What kind of weight did you start off with and how often do you increase the weight?
    4. Did you up your calories?
    5. Did you use any protein supplements?
    6. How long did it take you before you started seeing results?

I just want to know if I'm on the right track as I don't hear of many women doing heavy weights.

My routine is as follows:
    1. Squats with 20kg (44lb) barbell 3 sets of 7
    2. Machine leg press 100kg (220lb) 3 sets of 7
    3. Lat pull downs 40kg (88lb) 3 sets of 6-7
    4. Lunges with 7kg (15lb) dumbells 3 sets of 10
    5. Military arm raises 20kg (44lb) 3 sets of 7
    6. Bicep curls 10 kg (22lb) 3 sets 6
    7. Abs (what ever I feel like doing on the day)
    8. Bench press 10 kg (22lb)
    9. Tricep kick backs 7kg (15lb) while in plank

Any feedback would be fantastic!!!

I personally think you have a lot of unnecessary filler in your routine. To be fair, unless you're a competitive athlete of bodybuilder, isolation exercises like triceps kickbacks and biceps curls are a waste of energy. Your triceps get more work than they can handle from bench press and military press, and your biceps get worked both from negatives on the bench and military presses as well as getting plenty of work in on the lat pulldowns. Also, if you're doing squats, dump the machine leg press, that's another wasted exercise, as essentially it's just a machine version of squats (and yes, leg pressing way more than you squat is normal, as the machine pretty much does most of the work for you.) Compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press and rows will be much more effective than the isolation moves you have in there.

I know a lot of people mention New Rules of Lifting For Women, but I read through it when my wife got it from the library, and I wasn't really all that impressed with it. Some good information, mixed with a lot of bad information, and the routines seemed a bit over complicated, for no good reason. I also recommend either Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength for a good, heavy weight training program. Between the two, Stronglifts is a little easier from a technical lifting standpoint, as it uses more basic compound lifts, where Starting Strength uses more technical Olympic style lifts.

Hey, Thanks for the feedback, i really appreciate it...
    I started my routine based on an Iphone app "Ifitness" - weight loss program as everyone I spoke to did not have anything useful for me. I totally agree with not just wanting to focus on one muscle group. I've completed Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred which teaches you a lot about working more than one muscle group or big muscles with little ones... So sqauts and lunges while doing bicep curls, or military press, doing planks with a tricep kickback is actually very challenging :-) ... I guess I just got a little overwhelmed with the heavy weights as they are foreign to me... and I'm having to learn about it on my own. I might give stronglifts 5x5 a go, a few people are recommending it. I also might grab a copy of New Rules of Lifting For Women and have a read through.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name's Laura,
    I'm currently 158lb and 5'7" my goal is to be in the 130's. At the moment my fat % is around 23.5%

I've come across quite a few success stories on here that claim it was heavy weight training that has given them their success. I've read a particular story that seemed to fit my situation very well, and I thought that maybe heavy weights is what I need to be doing to get rid of that extra layer of fat.

I've asked a few male friends what they do at the gym to get an idea and told them that I wanted to start lifting heavy... the amount of ignorance out there! You wouldn't believe it! "Why do you want to lift heavy?" "Just tone" "What! You want to be a body builder?" It was frustrating, so now I turn to you, MFP folk and hope for a more informed response :-)

I've started heavy weight training just last week, and I guess what confuses me, or what I'd like to know is:

3. What kind of weight did you start off with and how often do you increase the weight?

I just want to know if I'm on the right track as I don't hear of many women doing heavy weights.

I personally think you have a lot of unnecessary filler in your routine. To be fair, unless you're a competitive athlete of bodybuilder, isolation exercises like triceps kickbacks and biceps curls are a waste of energy. Your triceps get more work than they can handle from bench press and military press, and your biceps get worked both from negatives on the bench and military presses as well as getting plenty of work in on the lat pulldowns. Also, if you're doing squats, dump the machine leg press, that's another wasted exercise, as essentially it's just a machine version of squats (and yes, leg pressing way more than you squat is normal, as the machine pretty much does most of the work for you.) Compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press and rows will be much more effective than the isolation moves you have in there.

I know a lot of people mention New Rules of Lifting For Women, but I read through it when my wife got it from the library, and I wasn't really all that impressed with it. Some good information, mixed with a lot of bad information, and the routines seemed a bit over complicated, for no good reason. I also recommend either Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength for a good, heavy weight training program. Between the two, Stronglifts is a little easier from a technical lifting standpoint, as it uses more basic compound lifts, where Starting Strength uses more technical Olympic style lifts.

Not to pick the nits, but the only difference between Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength is the number of sets and that Starting Strength uses the Power Clean in place of the Pendlay Row. Frankly I just trust Rippetoe a lot more because he seems so much more knowledgeable.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Gratz to all you women doing some really weight training! You'll thank yourself for it! Love it!

Anybody looking for suggestions, Mark Rippletoe released his 3rd edition of Starting Strength. That's a great starting point for anybody, man or woman.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name's Laura,

Not to pick the nits, but the only difference between Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength is the number of sets and that Starting Strength uses the Power Clean in place of the Pendlay Row. Frankly I just trust Rippetoe a lot more because he seems so much more knowledgeable.

Yes, I know, and the Power Clean is a more difficult lift from a technical and form standpoint than a Pendlay Row, which is why I say Stronglifts is the simpler program. I've read Starting Strength, but I personally prefer the Stronglifts routine as my base. Both are great programs, but for a beginner, without a coach or spotter, Stronglifts is easier to execute.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump for future reading
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1. What is your heavy weight routine? I'm in the final stage of New Rules of Lifting for Women - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
    2. Do you do cardio with training or only on off days or both or neither. Monday PM teach BodyStep, Tuesday AM warm up run + NROL4W + run until out of time, Wednesday AM teach BodyPump, Wednesday PM cardio, Thursday AM warm up run + NROL4W + run until out of time or insanity + NROLFW, Friday rest, Saturday NROL4W + teach BodyStep, Sunday rest. I'm thinking about adding 45 minutes of yoga into the schedule 2 days a week to help stretch out as I've been very tight lately.
    3. What kind of weight did you start off with and how often do you increase the weight? I try to increase by 2.5 - 5 pounds almost every time I hit the weight room.
    4. Did you up your calories? Sometimes
    5. Did you use any protein supplements? Vegan Rice Protein
    6. How long did it take you before you started seeing results? Almost immediate, but I was already lean.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've decided to start strong lifts 5x5 on Monday!
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump for further replies. :)
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm easing into the THT4 routine. Do a Google search on it, as you might like it.
    I currently do cardio 2x a week and it's short cardio. I'm going to increase it to 3x a week.
    I started off with what I could manage to lift/pull at least 7 times. I increase by 5 lbs every 1-2 workouts. Depends on the muscle
    Yes, I currently eat 2,500 calories a day and I'm getting ready to increase to 2,700.
    I was using soy protein but I don't like the grittiness so I'm finishing what's left to move on to whey protein.
    About 3 weeks in, I started noticing muscles being there without me having to flex.
  • butjuli
    butjuli Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump. I currently lift heavy in the gym, but my body is getting used to my routine. A friend and I are starting New Rules of Lifting for Women next week. I'll update you =]
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

There is a 4 day per week plan on this site that I LOVE and I've been doing for a few weeks now. 2 day sof upper, 2 days of lower.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am following Jamie Eason's LiveFit 12 wk plan. I'm in Phase 2 wk 2 so I do lifting 6 days a week and cardio 4 of those days for 30 min.

You can find the info on bodybuilding.com.

I did up my calories to 1500 and then I usually eat back what I burn lifting. I'm maintaining weight but others say I'm slimming down. I've lost a few inches according to my measurements.

I'm interested in the strong lift 5x5. I think I'll have to google that program next.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options

1) I usually would do a 5-day split: Mon-Legs- Quad focused, Tues-Back/Bi's, Wed-Chest/Tri's
    , Thurs-Shoulders/Calves, Fri- 2nd leg day - Hamstring focused

2) I never did cardio when I lifted for the two years I was doing it. I might have thrown in the stepmill or treadmill here and there, but I wasn't consistent. Cardio is totally up to you...it's not needed to lose weight.

3) For squats - I started with just the bar (45 lbs)...and my in about two years, I was able to squat 245 lbs for 3 reps. Bench press was my weakest...started with the bar and my max was 135 lbs. Deadlifts I started at 135 lbs and I was able to max out at 240 lbs.
    The weight you start out at depends on your strength. It's perfectly fine to start with just the bar or lightweight so that you can get the proper form down. Once you feel like you can hit 10 reps, increase your weight by 2.5-5 lbs.

4) During those two years I never logged my calories. I only dropped about 10 lbs but my body totally reshaped and I was tighter.

5) No protein supplements. I used only pre-workout supplements such as Jack3d.

6) I saw results within 6 months....again, this will change with each individual. Light weight and high reps won't do much at all to reshape your body. You MUST lift heavy to see some change....
  • jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm just now getting back into this fray and I'm so glad to see this topic. I saw Strong Lifts mentioned here a lot so I downloaded the pdf. I liked his method but it reads so much like an infomercial that it was kind of a turn off for me. I'm a big fan of Rippetoe's style of writing. Right now I'm doing a pretty basic dumb bell work out until I get used to moving again and then I think I'm going to do Starting Strength once I get my garage gym lined out. I hate lifting at the gym because of the vast number of people who feel compelled to tell me that squats are dangerous and I should be using the Smith Machine.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump.