It is true....

Options
...at least for me. 3 weeks ago we started a little wager amongst friends and family to see who could lose the most weight by Christmas. The money is always nice to win but last week I started to feel something, I started to feel better. I had lost 10 lbs at our 2nd weigh-in this past Monday (done every 2 weeks) and for the first time in over a decade I knew I lost the weight, I knew that something has changed. I started MyFitnessPal to help keep track of my calorie intake and exercises. I signed up at Bally's and paid for 3 years worth. After the 1st visit I never returned until this month, that was 8 months later. A mere 10lbs off a 290lb frame is so significant to me because I've done nothing but gain weight. Over the last 4 years it was 50lbs. Some people in my family weighed in at 190lb-210lb, I told them that last time I was 190lbs I was a fetus. The truth is that if you eat right, basically within your food measurements given from this site, add some vitamins and exercise at least 3 times a week you will lose the weight and you will feel good. It is projecting for me to be down to 265lbs by November. I can live with that. I'll be back to football playing weight at 250lbs by Christmas. Either way I'm a winner, wager or just from having lost the weight. Stick with it, you just have to trust yourself and just do it !!!!

Replies

• gator007
    gator007 Posts: 15
    Options
    ...at least for me. 3 weeks ago we started a little wager amongst friends and family to see who could lose the most weight by Christmas. The money is always nice to win but last week I started to feel something, I started to feel better. I had lost 10 lbs at our 2nd weigh-in this past Monday (done every 2 weeks) and for the first time in over a decade I knew I lost the weight, I knew that something has changed. I started MyFitnessPal to help keep track of my calorie intake and exercises. I signed up at Bally's and paid for 3 years worth. After the 1st visit I never returned until this month, that was 8 months later. A mere 10lbs off a 290lb frame is so significant to me because I've done nothing but gain weight. Over the last 4 years it was 50lbs. Some people in my family weighed in at 190lb-210lb, I told them that last time I was 190lbs I was a fetus. The truth is that if you eat right, basically within your food measurements given from this site, add some vitamins and exercise at least 3 times a week you will lose the weight and you will feel good. It is projecting for me to be down to 265lbs by November. I can live with that. I'll be back to football playing weight at 250lbs by Christmas. Either way I'm a winner, wager or just from having lost the weight. Stick with it, you just have to trust yourself and just do it !!!!
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    Go gator!

Thanks for the inspiration. How is your wife doing? It was great of you to enter so much information: and I agree - I already feel better after three DAYS! I've never attempted to lose weight in a very structured fashion, and this process just plays right into my obsessive-compusive nature: all the entering and reading and the whole thing. I have learned so much already, and I'm so grateful to have found this site. I'm not going to weigh myself until I've been at it seven days. I think that is best for someone with OCD to use the once-a-week approach!! Otherwise I'll be on the scale before and after everything I eat. And with a digital scale, I could send myself into a tailspin- and backslide right to the refrigerator.

Those wings seem to have been successfully integrated into your plan. Great job! My issue is the Margaritas. I found out they are 540 calories and 50 grams of sugar. I literally yelled out "Nooooo."
    I've now gone through the five stages of grief and reached the "Acceptance" stage and know they will have to be relegated to "almost never".

Stay with it!! (How big is the bet??)

Cheryl
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Great job Gator!!
    Keep it up =)
  • gator007
    Options
    $75 a person, winner take all, 8 of us. It is a good size pot. Don't forget to mention your stories, all of you that view this or other post. Do not hesitate to let it be known how you feel, how you are doing because someone out there might just be in the same boat.

My wife doesn't tell me but I can tell that she is losing. She also works out more than me. She really wants to win.
  • gator007
    Options
    $75 a person, winner take all, 8 of us. It is a good size pot. Don't forget to mention your stories, all of you that view this or other post. Do not hesitate to let it be known how you feel, how you are doing because someone out there might just be in the same boat.

My wife doesn't tell me but I can tell that she is losing. She also works out more than me. She really wants to win.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    $ 600 ! Gator, no more wings for you . Just go to Hooters and "look" at the "wings."
    Has anyone found a way to rank their foods? It seems that at the end of the day I'm trying to find a food with no protein, 300+ calories, 50 carbs, and 10-15 grams of fat (or various different combinations).

I tend to go over in protein every day, but I keep eating my calorie allotments. I'm searching for websites or databases that will let me rank (list) foods according to their respective nutrient components. That would help me so much. I'm trying to arrange my foods in some order that will help me, but it is so time consuming: and I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with this problem. I don't want to limit my food choices, but it sure seems to be the easiest thing to do in light of the time factor. ooooo, maybe I can make a spreadsheet. I'm going to post this question on the "Food & Nutrition" section on MFP, as well.

I'm going out tonight to buy some new OXO measuring devices, so I have several of each type, and I saw a conversion chart for volumes: grams, ounces, ml, tsp, tbsp, pints etc. I saw it at Cost Plus, so I'm hoping it's still there. (They have OXO, too.) Maybe I can find a small food scale there or at LINENS & THINGS.

Ok, so - your bride. Would she notice if you switched her Splenda for real sugar? Secretive indeed ! At least if she wins she'll probably buy you a consolation gift.

Have a good weekend.

Cheryl

Good luck to you both. Any of your other diet-pals on this website?
  • gator007
    Options
    yeah, Hooters and "look"at the wings, already looking at legs and thighs...alright that was childish but funny. Anway wife thought it was funny too so I'll still get to sleep in the bed. Over the last 3 weeks I've found the foods I liked most, did my own ranking and can now mix match to keep the carbs, calories, fats, etc in check. We are always trying to find new foods and dishes to try out. As long as we can match them up we get a full meal and snacks without going over or just by a few points. A program that will take your entree and automatically match up the best combo of foods would be cool. What we are not doing is eating the same thing everyday, that just kills the will power. This week I'll see a doctor to help monitor my progress with a physical, blood work, whole nine yards. I'm at 276 from 290 thee weeks ago. I like it but I want the doc to make sure that I'm not losing too much per week. We'll see. I can't wait to post before and after pictures.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss, gator! Excellent work.

Yikes! Pictures?? I have a friend who also is losing weight with me: though she has more to lose AND a lap band. We were talking about "before" pictures, and how scary they are.
    Maybe I should put mine on the refrigerator...Though, I haven't really been tempted to cheat. It's in my competitive nature to match the numbers every day.

I did the same thing you guys did and stuck with all my favorite healthy foods - except Margaritas (I'm thinking of just Tequila on the rocks with lime. Tequila is SO healthy) - and have them pretty well figured out for how much to have dailly. But it seems that 55% carbs, 15% protein & 30% fat is all out of whack. I'm giving these default goals two weeks, and if I don't see any difference, I think I may change (increase) the protein and decrease the carbs. I also have an appointment with doctor for guidance and testing.

p.s. I think legs and thighs have more fat than wings. I'm not mentioning the other white meat ;-)
  • kbl327
    kbl327 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cmriverside, I appreciate seeing your supportive words on the message board when I log in my food. I wish there were more people posting and supporting. I start work again tomorrow after a long leave of absence and I have to admit that I think it will help my food because of the regular schedule. But I sure don't look forward to coming home exhausted and dealing with cooking dinner. I sometimes use a crockpot, but I would love other ideas for how to handle having dinners ready after a long day.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    kbl327,

Thanks for the kind words! I feel the same way, but I'm also off work right now, so I have more time to play on the computer, and it keeps me busy and helps me fine tune my plan. It's good to be able to share experiences whenever I want or when it is convenient - I just can't go the Weight Watchers route-to plan and go to meetings. Plus, since I'm not working, I'm not willing to pay the high prices of the "Organized" weight-loss plans. Well, at least I'm hoping I'll be able to make the weight come off by using this process.

I found that I could make all my meals (the ones that need to be cooked) on Sunday or Monday, and I chose some that I could just measure into portions, and stack in the refridge- like stir fry - and cooked all the meat and rice on Monday, then just added veggies at the mealtime and steamed the whole thing for 10 minutes in a small frying pan with a lid. If time is an issue for you after work, or you're tired; you can always buy the Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers frozen entrees. Once you are familiar with the ones you like, you may even want to prepare them yourself and freeze or refrigerate them. But there are many choices and we make things work when it is important enough to us. I don't use my microwave, so I have to be even more creative and plan ahead. Raw foods are even better for us than cooked so, you really just have to heat small portions for a few minutes. I like the 6-Little-Meals-a-Day approach, and I think our bodies are really made to graze anyway.

Don't limit yourself. A meal can be 1/2 a whole wheat english muffin, a scrambled Egg Beater with a sprinkle of parmesan, and hot sauce. 10 minutes tops. Including cleanup. Throw in any of your fave veggies with the Egg Beaters and you're good.

Water!

Morning snack: your fave 100% juice, or some fresh fruit - or, a V8 and some Triscuits. I mix all my 100% juices with sparkling water. 4 oz of juice and some ice, and it's much tastier and better for you than diet pop, and it fills you up.

Water!

GET OUT THERE AND EXERCISE - THAT IS WHERE YOU WILL GAIN ENERGY! I can't believe how much better I feel since I started only one week ago. Did I mention Water!?

Lunch - salad, 1/2 portion of dressing, a rice cake,

Water!

Afternoon Snack: String Cheese and some of your fave veggies or some Edamame and a couple more Triscuits

Water!

Your dinner- I'm not going there. :-)

Water!

I wish you luck. If you haven't been eating well and exercising recently, I promise this will make you feel so much better! Do what you can -EVERY little step can add up.

Keep us posted! I'm the chatty one. I'm sure not everyone wants to hear from me!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I just want to say I lost 7 pounds in 8 days of being with the program. And I am eating all the calories suggested in exchange for the exercise.

I'm trying to stay within the recommended Calories/Carbs/Fats/Proteins percentages.
  • gator007
    Options
    Hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend. As of this morning I lost 18lbs in 1 month through eating right (not dieting!!) and with exercise. It does feel great. Everyone is noticing including myself. The most important thing that I noticed is the fat jokes, the little poke fun of comments and other things that you'd pick up on have pretty much eased, just like that. It is "your looking good", "you've lost a lot of weight", "you can really tell", "holy *kitten*, you lost how much?". I can remember my buddies making fun when going to a buffet, "it's all you can eat, not eat all". At this point I have the last laugh.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was reading through your posts Gator and I have to say ... way to go!! I think it's always such a personal triumph to succeed at a goal!! Hopefully the money is as good as yours! I think that's not a bad idea to start with a few friends of mine... you never know, right! Anyway, good luck and I look forward to reading your progress.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Way to go Gator!

Some members have pointed that out to me... it's eating healthy not dieting.
    I have to get that through my thick head.

Keep it up gator! =)
  • gator007
    Options
    Okay, not sure why but I have been in a funk over the last 2 months. I was down to 262 and now I've been at 270 for the last 3 days. Still good from being 290 just 3 months ago but nevertheless I became unmotivated somewhere along the way. I can tell you this because experience I have, you cannot change your habits and expect the same results every time. It should not be a shocker that if I stopped exercising and eating right that I should expect by body to remain the same. I have no idea why I just let go again. 8 pounds is not too much but what if it were 10-15 or 20, the fact is that anything has an impact. I was down when it was 2 lbs, I was frustrated at 5 lbs and now I'm pissed at 8 lbs. BTW, I was in Vegas this past weekend so everything I had done before stayed at the airport as I boarded. I'm surprised and grateful I didn't "balloon" up from all the food and partaking in the alcohol beverages, partaking way too much :) During the flight back I thought about all the things from the past 2 months and just told myself that I do not want to be the way I was before. I do not offer any advice but if you want moral support I'll give it and if you want someone to say a prayer for you I will. I think I just found my own motivation.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Gator! I thought you dropped off the site! So glad to see you back!

I've had a bad week, too. I had a carb binge, gained three pounds, re-injured an old back injury and couldn't workout for three days. This is the first time I've gained since August 22. Scary.

Today I feel 90% good. I just talked to my trainer to get back on track.

I am beginning to see (and I have read some others' posts regarding the same thing) that we just have to slip now and then- I prefer the "cheat" theory - where you have a day that isn't so good, but take it in stride. (not that I have mastered that, by any means). The eight pounds you gained is not that much in relation to what you have accomplished. I think if you take it easy on yourself and just start again, it will drop off again.

$$600. 00 ..................................

How's wife doing?

~Cheryl
  • arothermel
    arothermel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hang in there gator007. you are not alone. it seems i have 2 good days and 3 bad days. i just try to be grateful for the 2 good days and hope that it turns into 3 good days soon. part of my problem is that i am very hard on myself and it sounds like you are too. i had a friend tell me strive for progress, not perfection.
  • gator007
    Options
    Back on track now. Lost 3 pounds already. I just need that good kick in the *kitten* to get me going. Hopefully I will have learned or I'm going to have a sore azz. I'm back on the losing wagon, by losing I mean weight and by wagon I mean...wagon.

Cheryl, we know what you mean about the binges. Hope you get to feeling better with your back. It is problems like that for me that make me skip a gym workout and then realize that I skipped several more.

Arothermel, being hard on oneself only has two paths; positive and negative. I was on the negative where I wanted perfection just because I lost so much weight in the beginning. I thought to myself that only a boot camp drill instructor mentality would do it. I've humbled myself and now on the positive path because I had put aside more important things like LIFE and FAMIL Y. BTW, stay away from chocolate cake with peanut better icing.
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Gator rocks! Woo hoo. lol Way to go!