beginner runners

Options
Just starting to get back into jogging after a 2 year hiatus due to multiple surgeries.

I used to run 5k 3 times per week, and often 3k on the in-between days. I wasn't fast (35mins was my best time) but I could do it.

Even though I have done it before, starting out at zero again is REALLY HARD!!! Who is with me?!

I am doing some modified (read: perverted) version of the c25K where roughly every second day I increase the time that I spend running for a minute. Two days ago I hit 4 consecutive minutes running and decided I could probably spend the next 2K doing short walking/running intervals.

Today I decided to essentially do 4 reps of a 6 min walk, 4 min run. I liked this, so next time I will do the same with 5mins:5mins.

It seems to be pretty hard on my knees... so I think I need to replace my joggers (I have to get the ones with super arch support because my feet roll in and give me shin splints, but I don't remember my knees suffering last time I took up running.)

How are you finding running? What 'program' are you following?

Let's talk jogging, beginners!

Replies

• Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    hello? anyone...?
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting your running again! Sounds like you may need updated shoes, plus make sure you're not overstriding and heel striking as that can be hard on your knees. I've been running(slowly) for almost a year now. My best 5k time is 39 min. I did the C25k plan and now I'm working on a bridge to 10k plan to try to get some speed. I also have a bunch of weight to lose(40 lbs) and I know everything about running will be better once the weight is gone!

Good luck with your training!

Lori
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

I've been running for a month so far, if it can be classed as running. I'm short and slow, and those two things combined mean I run at a far slower pace than others would consider a jog, and I've not done anything long distance yet. I've been doing one or two runs a week as I build up my strength. I got shin splints early on, and have now bought the right equipment and I'm recovering slowly.

I'm not following any planned schedule, just going for it at my own pace. I mapped out a 0.8-mile route and have been doing that.

I run as far as I can, and once I can't go any further I walk. I have my headphones in, and complete the rest of my journey running for at least every chorus of the songs I listen to, and try and push further, but I make sure I am ALWAYS covering the choruses with a run. Just means I never let myself relax for too long.

In the past month my PB for 1km has dropped from 8m 20s to 7m 12s. Have gone from being able to run 0.13 miles without stopping, up to my next landmark which was 0.18 miles, and now to a quarter of a mile.

Yesterday, I mapped out a new one-mile route, so I can start recording my PBs for a full mile. Giving that a go on Wednesday morning for the first time.
  • Lolli1986
    Options
    Hiya!

I've been running for a month so far, if it can be classed as running. I'm short and slow, and those two things combined mean I run at a far slower pace than others would consider a jog, and I've not done anything long distance yet. I've been doing one or two runs a week as I build up my strength. I got shin splints early on, and have now bought the right equipment and I'm recovering slowly.

I'm not following any planned schedule, just going for it at my own pace. I mapped out a 0.8-mile route and have been doing that.

I run as far as I can, and once I can't go any further I walk. I have my headphones in, and complete the rest of my journey running for at least every chorus of the songs I listen to, and try and push further, but I make sure I am ALWAYS covering the choruses with a run. Just means I never let myself relax for too long.

In the past month my PB for 1km has dropped from 8m 20s to 7m 12s. Have gone from being able to run 0.13 miles without stopping, up to my next landmark which was 0.18 miles, and now to a quarter of a mile.

Yesterday, I mapped out a new one-mile route, so I can start recording my PBs for a full mile. Giving that a go on Wednesday morning for the first time.

Cool! that is a really good plan. I will incorporate some of those ideas into my own. I like the idea of selecting a distance and working toward a personal best.

I am super slow too, don't worry! even at my fittest I was not going to be winning any races, haha.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm planning on officially starting C25K this week, either tonight or tomorrow night. I have been doing home based cardio videos while the weather has been grotty and the nights dark (I don't live in a very safe area...) but now I feel I'm ready to get outside.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Just starting to get back into jogging after a 2 year hiatus due to multiple surgeries.

I used to run 5k 3 times per week, and often 3k on the in-between days. I wasn't fast (35mins was my best time) but I could do it.

Even though I have done it before, starting out at zero again is REALLY HARD!!! Who is with me?!

I am doing some modified (read: perverted) version of the c25K where roughly every second day I increase the time that I spend running for a minute. Two days ago I hit 4 consecutive minutes running and decided I could probably spend the next 2K doing short walking/running intervals.

Today I decided to essentially do 4 reps of a 6 min walk, 4 min run. I liked this, so next time I will do the same with 5mins:5mins.

It seems to be pretty hard on my knees... so I think I need to replace my joggers (I have to get the ones with super arch support because my feet roll in and give me shin splints, but I don't remember my knees suffering last time I took up running.)

How are you finding running? What 'program' are you following?

Let's talk jogging, beginners!

I used to run, many years ago. Haven't ran since getting pregnant with twins 8 years ago.

So I started C25K, and am now on week 5.
    The first week, I was scarlet when I finished and wondered how I was ever going to keep it up.

today's planned run is week 5 , run 2, which is 20 mins non stop running. I found week 4 much easier than week 1!!

When you start again, the improvement curve is quite steep - good luck :)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I still consider myself a beginner although I have completed 6 5Ks, an 8K, a 10K and a half marathon. Last year and into this year leading up to my Half in March I used the Hal Higdens 5K trainer (to get me back into running after a hiatus like yours) and then the Higdens Novice Half Marathon trainer. I'm between races right now, so not training hard core, but following the Higden plan of running Tues-Thursday-Saturday and doing cross training (cycling and yoga) on the other days. I'm planning for another half marathon in the fall either october or november.

@cherylpj, yes that counts, keep it up!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with running on and off for years but found a good park near me last night that is quiet but fairly well lit and near a main road so nice and safe so I can run there at night, so might start trying again. Went a run there last night a bit unplanned. I'm guessing that it might be about 0.8 of a kilmetre around the park but I'm going to take my Nike+ tonight to measure it more accurately.

I REALLY struggle with it, too, and find it weird because I'm quite fit when it comes to other things. I can walk for miles and miles without tiring and do cardio at least 3 times a week (Body Attack) where I sweat and get out of breath but don't feel like I'm going to die. I can also swim for ages without feeling knackered but I can't even run a full kilometre without thinking that my lungs are going to physically explode! It also kills my knees too, although I do have quite dodgy knees to start with anyway.

I tried the C25K programme before and didn't like it. I feel like I'm achieving more if I focus on distance covered than time running, so I'm just going to try to slowly build up my distance a little at a time, I think.

Any new runners up for starting a group where we can share our moans/victories?
  • mousecat84
    Options
    Hey Lolli! When I was just starting out, I let my body tell me when it ws ready for a bit of running intermixed with the walk. I did always feel the need to better myself though, and once I reached a milestone like running 1K nonstop, I couldn't let myself do any less! So I basically would then set a newer challenge, and go from there.

It did take me a short while to run for more than a minute nonstop though haha

Hopefully that helps you in someway :happy:
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a book called Galloway on Running. It has plans for beginners and advanced and talks about how slowly you should increase distance. Also, you are a pronator; take your current shoes to a good running store in your area and ask them what shoe you should buy to help. They can tell by the wear pattern on your current shoes what you need. Look to spend at least $90-100. You might also ask them where you can get some custom orthotics made.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with running on and off for years but found a good park near me last night that is quiet but fairly well lit and near a main road so nice and safe so I can run there at night, so might start trying again. Went a run there last night a bit unplanned. I'm guessing that it might be about 0.8 of a kilmetre around the park but I'm going to take my Nike+ tonight to measure it more accurately.

I REALLY struggle with it, too, and find it weird because I'm quite fit when it comes to other things. I can walk for miles and miles without tiring and do cardio at least 3 times a week (Body Attack) where I sweat and get out of breath but don't feel like I'm going to die. I can also swim for ages without feeling knackered but I can't even run a full kilometre without thinking that my lungs are going to physically explode! It also kills my knees too, although I do have quite dodgy knees to start with anyway.

I tried the C25K programme before and didn't like it. I feel like I'm achieving more if I focus on distance covered than time running, so I'm just going to try to slowly build up my distance a little at a time, I think.

I also struggled with C25K, I highly recommend the Hal Higden training courses. He gives you a distance say (Mon - 2 miles) and you cover the distance at whatever pace you are comfortable with... walk the whole way, run the whole way, run walk at your OWN intervals, no forced - run for 2 minutes, walk 1 minute etc.... run till your tired, then walk, then run again until you cover the distances. I gave up on Couch to 5K but Higdens got me to a half marathon.
  • mousecat84
    Options
    Ooh, and he comments about finding an enjoyable place to run is a very good motivator I find! Great scenery along the beach, and it feels safe with many others around. I like also that they have intervals of 500m painted on the path!
  • pinkpearline
    Options
    I am a chartered accountant by profession and i have a routine sitting and number crunching everyday 9am to 7pm, with very less standing or walking activities. I was never a runner in my entire life before.

I tried controlling my weight gain with various diets and succeeded too. but in last 6 months i gained more then 10kgs ( i was 52 kg and i reached 63). it was because of long sitting and no exercise. I am 24 and i have tendency to gain weight quickly but this time it was super fast i couldnt realise

I started walking 2 months back.. Initially walking continuous for 30 mins was like winning some treasure for me and 2 mins running was making me feel so out of shape and unhealthy. I am still trying to improve , i also try 6-7 mins walk at 6km/hr and then running at 7.5-7.8 for 2 mins. THE MAX i went was four mins last days :)
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I also struggled with C25K, I highly recommend the Hal Higden training courses. He gives you a distance say (Mon - 2 miles) and you cover the distance at whatever pace you are comfortable with... walk the whole way, run the whole way, run walk at your OWN intervals, no forced - run for 2 minutes, walk 1 minute etc.... run till your tired, then walk, then run again until you cover the distances. I gave up on Couch to 5K but Higdens got me to a half marathon.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it. :)
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am like you, I am currently on a hiatus (5 months pregnant and my belly wants to fall out of my butt when I run longer than a mile) from jogging and am just walking right now. Before this, however, I was at 4.25 miles on my long runs and was working up to a 10K.

I am hoping that I can get back into it relatively shortly after I have my kid.

Good luck to you!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K in February, and was running 5K 3 times per week for awhile, but last week, I did a 4 mile run, and then 2 days later I did a 5 mile run! I usually get around 32 minutes for the 5K - did the 5 miles in about 55 minutes. I found that for me, it seems to get easier further into the run - my legs do get a little tired, but I seem to be able to regulate my breathing better.

I had occasional knee pain, and found that as long as I stretch hamstrings and quads after the run, that went away. I also found if I am getting out of breath or side stitches to slow down my breathing and breathe from my belly and it gets better. Also check out websites like goodformrunning.com to make sure your form is right (leaning forward, etc.)

I briefly got into running in my early 20's and the furthest I ran then was 2 miles, I think. Never thought I would be running 5 miles in my 40's!! I am doing my first 5K race on Saturday, and have signed up for some more races, including a 12K in October.
  • Lolli1986
    Options
    hahaha, yay! lots of good advice and ideas.

I used to love running, but I was fitter and 10kgs lighter last time I started, so it was much easier!

I too had to start running due to a shift from a very active job to a desk job. Now I want to be able to do it because I have missed it for so long.

Ooh, one of the best tips I came across when I was first learning was cross training with steep hill climbing. In our town we have a small 300m high hill right in the middle, which is quite steep and has a number of tracks. going up the steeper tracks REALLY built up strength in my thighs, which translated to much faster run times. It was like 300m of big stairs. Ha... I used to run 3km up the road of that hill.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic that you're getting back into it. I hope your knees settle down and stop giving you grief.

I've just started Week 3 of C25K. I am really enjoying it, so far.

I would like to continue to run long-term, but I don't think I'll ever go for very long distances. Probably 5 or 6 miles at most. If I did 5k three or four times a week, I would be very happy with that. I like to alternate running with hiking and hill climbing.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 5K in May and have started running with a girlfriend several times a week. I was hating it, but now I am starting to like it. I like doing a nice run/walk through my neighborhoods and a trail that is right by my house. I am also enjoying how it's starting to feel a bit easier! Now I just have to get my times up so I won't be the last gal finishing the 5k!
  • razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I could barely jog 200 metres at a time when I started running 2 years ago. Now I have halved my pace from when I started, have completed many races including 10 and 12k and am currently training for a HM. It has completely changed my life, as painful as the process has been. In short, never give up! If I can do it, you can too.