I need my coffee...

Options
chopsticks
chopsticks Posts: 106 Member
Ok...I have two young kids that always get me up before i'm ready so it usually takes me two or three cups of coffee to get "functional", but the added cals from the creamer and the sugar are putting me over my cal limit. I know i could exersize more to even it out or cut out the creamer and/or the sugar, but i don't want to do that if there is an alternative. I exersize when i can i'm even lucky enough to have a job i can exersize at. So does anyone have any ideas on how to keep my coffee....i'm willing to buy other product to put in it if they're out there.

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok...I have two young kids that always get me up before i'm ready so it usually takes me two or three cups of coffee to get "functional", but the added cals from the creamer and the sugar are putting me over my cal limit. I know i could exersize more to even it out or cut out the creamer and/or the sugar, but i don't want to do that if there is an alternative. I exersize when i can i'm even lucky enough to have a job i can exersize at. So does anyone have any ideas on how to keep my coffee....i'm willing to buy other product to put in it if they're out there.

Well you may not like my suggestion, but exercise INSTEAD of your coffee.

See, I told ya!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Well you may not like my suggestion, but exercise INSTEAD of your coffee.

See, I told ya!

When my kids were littel I had the same problem. Someone suggested this, so I tried.

For 1 week I had a 16 oz glass of water, and did a 20 minute exercise tape. I had MORE energy than the coffee ever gave me.

So it is just an idea!!

Also now I sub 1/2 the creamer and 1/2 1% milk. I figure at least I am getting some nutrition from the milk.

Good luck:drinker:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have one cup a day with sugar free creamer (15 cals) and a packet of Sun Crystals (stevia...5 cals).
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    fat free creamer and splenda/equal/sweet and low, etc...
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I skip the cream and just go straight for the sugar. If you need the cream try real cream 1/4 teaspoon.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love my tall coffee in the morning with sugar free vanilla creamer. Tried to give it up but I get withdrawl headaches. It does help to try and drink water when you get up about 2 cups full. I always try to exercise early even with kids before I go to work. It is a struggle but helps deal with the stress of the day and kids a little better...
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options

what kind of cream are you using? I was using fat free coffee mate for a while and that was really ruining me. I switched to half and half(you dont need that much tbs or 2) and sweet and low...works for me! I also add cinnamon to my beans!
  • kountess821
    kountess821 Posts: 16
    Options
    I put a ReddiWhip swirl (15 calories) on top of my coffee!
    Not only does it taste great - it makes me smile ;-)
  • coachkathy
    coachkathy Posts: 35
    Options
    I have 1 cup of coffee (never more) every morning. I use 1 splenda packet & about 1 Tbs Half 'n Half. I used to use the Fat Free flavored creamers until I realized all the yucky ingredients in them. I don't think you need to give your morning coffee but maybe limit it to just one cup.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Life is a series of choices-- if you're going to have cream and sugar, cut down elsewhere or exercise to enjoy them--

If I can do it with 9 kids, you can do it with two-- :flowerforyou:
  • chopsticks
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas...when i go shopping this weekend i'm gonna pick up some of those sun crystals(new to me) and some better creamer....i'm also gonna try to convince my boyfriend on the cinnamon in the beans idea:drinker: thanks
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Another option could be slowly weaning yourself off the stuff...I know it sounds impossible and your going to laugh but I'm totally living proof it can be done. I went from drinking a double double, so 2 cream 2 sugar in my coffee and now I'm pretty much down to black coffee. I usually put a teeny bit of skim milk just to cool it down a touch. It is HARD to do but once you do you won't go back. Start slowly, the first little while it'll taste gross but you get used to it and do actually love it again!hahaha..Now that I'm down to practically black coffee it's awesome, I love it and eww cannot have ANY sugar anymore and I am a sugar junkie so for me to say that is a big deal!hahaha...Just a suggestion, it takes a bit to adjust after cutting each ingridient..so if you have 2 sugars, cut out 1 and just have 1 sugar, allow to adjust and then cut out something else... do it one at a time and just push through the first week it sucks, it's better in the long run!!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Another option could be slowly weaning yourself off the stuff...I know it sounds impossible and your going to laugh but I'm totally living proof it can be done. I went from drinking a double double, so 2 cream 2 sugar in my coffee and now I'm pretty much down to black coffee. I usually put a teeny bit of skim milk just to cool it down a touch. It is HARD to do but once you do you won't go back. Start slowly, the first little while it'll taste gross but you get used to it and do actually love it again!hahaha..Now that I'm down to practically black coffee it's awesome, I love it and eww cannot have ANY sugar anymore and I am a sugar junkie so for me to say that is a big deal!hahaha...Just a suggestion, it takes a bit to adjust after cutting each ingridient..so if you have 2 sugars, cut out 1 and just have 1 sugar, allow to adjust and then cut out something else... do it one at a time and just push through the first week it sucks, it's better in the long run!!

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. I weaned myself off the sugar a long time ago, but I was all about triple cream. I am now down to light cream or 2% milk - I hate really hot foods, so doubt I will get lower than that. I would wean the cream first, then work on the sugar - you get way more calories from the cream!

Any maybe try having a healthy breakfast with a good protein along with that first coffee and you might find you don't need the other ones so much!

I am SO not a morning person - so I feel your pain. Good luck!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    coffeebath.gif

Must have morning Joe--
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

This may not work for you, but I used to HAVE to have a flavored latte, it was the only kind of coffee I enjoyed, than I slowly started working out of the flavor (had them put less in) then went off flavor and moved down to drip coffee. I'm not trying to wean off how much sugar I use and slowly moving from creamer to nonfat milk. I'm actually finding myself slowly becoming accustom to the change in flavor and now I love my coffee and find flavored latte's too sweet! haha, maybe slowly working your way into a nonfat milk instead of creamer could be a goal? Just a thought
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to coffee for over 20 years. In January I started cutting back and as of January 9, I have given up caffeine. In the morning I drink hot water with lemon, duringthe day I drink herbal teas and water. I don't miss it now except for when I smell it. It always smells so much better than it tastes
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups every morning w/ skim milk (or Vanilla Silk) and splenda......sometimes I treat myself (not often) and put 1/2 and 1/2 in it.

you drink it first thing in the morning, so just be careful the rest of the day.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well I used to drink one cup of coffee with equal and fat free french vanilla creamer. I also use to drink all nothing but diet cokes all day. When I decided to get healthy and drink my water I didnt have room for anything else. Now all I drink is water. Once and a while I may have a sip or two of diet caffeine free coke.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    bump:wink:
  • chopsticks
    Options
    bump:wink:

ok i have seen this before..curious what it means. So, all of you have great ideas and it looks like i'm gonna have to switch my creamer( i use international delight amaretto now) and wean myself down on the sugar. Thanks everyone!!!:happy: