Any Kidney Donors?

I have been thinking about kidney donation for a while now..does anyone know anything about the procedure or even better, has anyone ever done it??

thanks

Replies

• Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    That's very admirable of you to be willing to donate your kidney to a stranger. My father was a kidney transplant recipient and he is so grateful to the person (who had passed away and nominated to be a donor) who donated his kidney.

My mum has been tested thoroughly and was an excellent candidate for donation to my dad, however due to doctor's concerns about her heart, they decided it wasn't the best idea for mum to donate to dad. You go through a lot of testing, both tissue and psychological to make sure you're really ready for doing what you are thinking about.

I know for me, that I will end up having a kidney transplant as I have the same condition my dad does, so I know I would be eternally grateful to the person who nominates to be a donor.

I highly recommend speaking with a therapist who can help you go through emotions and your decision.
  • Hello, your post came up in a google search and I felt I could offer some help. I donated a kidney to a stranger in 2010. It was the very best thing I have ever done and wish I could do it again. If you want to read up all about it then please go to my blog. The links on the left under "become a donor" give step by step account of the whole evaluation process, operation and recover from a donor's perspective. http://LivingKidneyDonation.co.uk Anything you want to know please ask or post comment on the blog. Thank you and I hope it helps