Do you try and 'make up' for bad days...

Options
Cal28
Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
...or do you just forget about it and move on?

I'm not on about the odd cheat/spike day but if you drop the ball a bit do you try and make up the deficit the following day or two? Just curious.... :smile:

Replies

• Sjvarley123
    Sjvarley123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    HI i work to a weekly average, so yes if have a day when i go over i will adjust the rest of my week accordingly. Seems to be working so far for me.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I might step it up at the gym a bit. Push some extra water. But I don't calorie deficit to make up for it.

That's just life :)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Push some extra water.

Wow your loss is AMAZING! Does the water help? I'm awful for my liquid intake, I know I need to have more but just never want it (unless I'm at the gym) x
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If I ever go over my calories, I just forget about it and move on. No point confusing my body by turning a day of over-eating into a few more days of inconsistency.

One day is never going to have much of an impact on my weight overall.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If I ever go over my calories, I just forget about it and move on. No point confusing my body by turning a day of over-eating into a few more days of inconsistency.

+1
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    if it's one day no I don't. But if it's two or three days I do. I'll step back on my cals a bit (My current goal is 1,500 w/o exercise, I'll cut 200 from that and not eat back exercise cals) and up my exercise.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be bad, i.e. a party, football sunday, vacation etc...I will pre-emptively work out to gain as much of a calorie cushion that I can. If I don't prepare beforehand, I just hydrate with water the next day, and try to eat clean for a day or two to get rid of any salt I may be retaining, and get my stomach back to normal, non-fatty digestion.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I forget about it and move on. Otherwise it just turns into a binge/starve cycle in a lot of cases I have seen. No thanks! We are all going to slip up, but just have to look at the big picture :D

Had 4,000 calories saturday. Ahhhh i new week
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    ...or do you just forget about it and move on?

I'm not on about the odd cheat/spike day but if you drop the ball a bit do you try and make up the deficit the following day or two? Just curious.... :smile:

I just forget about it and move on - one day isn't going to make much difference.

I had a 3000k day last weekend, and the weekend before, but I carried on with my daily 1600 and still lost 1lb+ each week.
  • StephyJeanS
    Options
    So glad to hear i'm not the only one who has bad days :-). I had a 3500 calories day on Friday (pizza always seems like such a great idea after a drink) and whereas in the past I would then have eaten virtually nothing for the next two days to compensate, I decided to carry on at my 1200 goal and just forget about it.

It was gutting though, I ate at 1200 for 6 days last week yet because of my one bad day my average was then 1550...... GRRR!!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It depends on how bad it was, and what my cals are set at

When I was set at 1lb a week loss, if I went over a bit on a few days, or a lot on one day, I'd still average at or under maintenance for the week.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    i have a 4500-5000 calorie day once a week, still losing weight. you just have to find the balance for YOU.
    figure out what your maximum consumption is for a day in which you will not gain weight, and that can be
    your 'cheat' day. It will keep you sane and will help you in your weight loss journey, trust me =]
    nobody is perfect, we cannot expect to eat clean 100% of the time, there will be times and circumstances
    in which we must let ourselves go, whether it be pure temptation, a family bbq, someones birthday etc
    and such is life, although we cannot be 100% in control of our lives, we can certainly be in control of about 80% of it =P
    don't you agree?
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Calories are really a rolling total. Having a "bad day" builds up your stores.

I haven't had a massively bad day in awhile, just mild, and I do tend to cut back in the following days.
    I also tend to exercise more to make up for it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just try to drink extra water for a few days if bad also means more processed foods or sodium. I've actually found the bad days can help jump start my metabolism if I've plateaued - BUT, that's only if they happen only every few months.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just forget about it and move on.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sometimes with hindsight I notice I subconsciously under eat the next day.

Consciously I ignore it - but pay attention to how many times it is happening -- a couple of times a month is OK a couple of times a week is not OK for what I am trying to do
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I generally just dont eat my exercise calories the next day, which isnt a huge thing but it makes me feel better
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I most certainly will be making up for this past weekend. I had my wedding anniversay and I am sure that I have gained a little.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options

This ^ ... Just as one day's dieting won't lose you much either! As long is it is just one day and not too frequently :smile:
  • ItsDiana
    ItsDiana Posts: 60
    Options
    I sometimes plan an 'all fruit day'. :)