Starvation mode?

Options
ebony__
ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
Is starvation mode solely about calorie intake?
Does food quantity and nutritional values play a part?
I would think there are more than 1 factor, but I dont know.
Do you?

Genuine answers please, everyones opinios of people eating to few calories have already been posted a million times. Just curious about other factors in play.
Cheers

Replies

• ebony__
    Options
    mm maybe ill just have to do some research
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i would assume it would factor in on what u eat and an how much you are eating...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    it is a matter of energy balance so i'd say there are not other factors aside from expenditure and intake .you can be malnourished whilst eating 2000+ calories of junk but not in starvation mode. you can also get all of your nutrients through supplements and 100% natural/whole foods but have too great a deficit and impair your metabolism as a result ("starvation mode").
  • ebony__
    Options

more details?
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I would guess that the only factor leading directly to "starvation mode" would be number of calories, because starvation means that your body doesn't have enough energy (calories) to adequately fuel itself.

I think nutritional value of your food contributes to other types of diet-related disorders/issues. For example...scurvy, iron deficiency, anemia...those are just some examples off the top of my head that have to do with the types of food you eat, but most tend to be in drastic cases, similarly to starvation mode.

I can't really back any of this up with scientific fact, but that is my answer based on what I have learned.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    it is a matter of energy balance so i'd say there are not other factors aside from expenditure and intake .you can be malnourished whilst eating 2000+ calories of junk but not in starvation mode. you can also get all of your nutrients through supplements and 100% natural/whole foods but have too great a deficit and impair your metabolism as a result ("starvation mode").

Great answer.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't think nutrition plays a big part in starvation mode.
    If one were eating strictly organically/healthily,
    but not eating enough--
    their body would still be starving, despite it being good food.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

more details?

I was amazed to hear the Endocrinologist tell my husband that he could survive of 800 calories or less.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of opinions on starvation mode but it is very real. In short version, your metabolism slows down to conserve your body fat when you don't eat enough calories. You can avoid it by finding a healthy calorie deficit based on your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and active metabolic rate (AMR). Most say no fewer than 1200 calories a day no matter what. I was eating 1500/day and stuck at a plateau for months.There's many online calculators to help you figure your "magic" number out, but the general rule of thumb is 3500 = 1 lb of body fat. Create a 500 calorie per day deficit to lose a pound per week.

As for the nutritional aspect, simple carbs and fats aren't going to help you lose, so focus your diet on complex carbs high in fiber and lean protein. They're harder for your body to digest so they won't be converted to glucose (which is stored as body fat when not immediately used) as readily.

Hope that helps!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

^^This
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

more details?

I was amazed to hear the Endocrinologist tell my husband that he could survive of 800 calories or less.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options

more details?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

No. It's real, it just doesn't happen if you skip one meal - it's a gradual condition that results from regular undereating and downregulation of your metabolism.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a term used to describe when you're body is being supplied with insufficient calories and your metabolism slows right down to conserve what little energy it is getting. However,
    Food quantity is important but food quality is what you're focus should be on. Malnutrition can also cause your body to hit a starvation mode. If you eat the wrong foods to meet your caloric needs, that doesn't mean you're getting the right fuels.
    Do you?
    I think it's important to consider that your exercise levels inherently affect the amount of calories you need to eat. The more you exercise, the more fuel you need to keep your metabolism at a normal level. If you do not put back the fuel into your 'car', it can only run on 'fumes' for so long. Eventually you will need to replenish your supply.

I lost 20 kg's and then hit a MASSIVE plateau. My body would not push any more weight. I looked at how I got to that point and found that I wasn't fuelling my body enough consistently.
    I've now gone well into eating back all of my exercise calories and I've found my body is THANKING me for it. Given the right fuels to the body, my metabolism kick-started with such a force that the weight just starting dropping again.

Hope this helps.
  • ebony__
    Options
    But does quantity not factor in. yes if your eating all your calories in junk .. or making up all your nutrients with suppliments I would assume thats basically terrible...

but what about quantity..

If your eating really healthy foods you can eat a huge amount in a day and be extremely full and still have very low cal (foods like broccoli, cauliflower, fresh beans zucchini and such as the bulk of the meals. )
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
  • ebony__
    Options
    Starvation mode is a term used to describe when you're body is being supplied with insufficient calories and your metabolism slows right down to conserve what little energy it is getting. However,
    Food quantity is important but food quality is what you're focus should be on. Malnutrition can also cause your body to hit a starvation mode. If you eat the wrong foods to meet your caloric needs, that doesn't mean you're getting the right fuels.
    Do you?
    I think it's important to consider that your exercise levels inherently affect the amount of calories you need to eat. The more you exercise, the more fuel you need to keep your metabolism at a normal level. If you do not put back the fuel into your 'car', it can only run on 'fumes' for so long. Eventually you will need to replenish your supply.

I lost 20 kg's and then hit a MASSIVE plateau. My body would not push any more weight. I looked at how I got to that point and found that I wasn't fuelling my body enough consistently.
    I've now gone well into eating back all of my exercise calories and I've found my body is THANKING me for it. Given the right fuels to the body, my metabolism kick-started with such a force that the weight just starting dropping again.

Hope this helps.

I love when people give posts like this, non judgement and not highly opinionated but just honest! thanks
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    But does quantity not factor in. yes if your eating all your calories in junk .. or making up all your nutrients with suppliments I would assume thats basically terrible...

but what about quantity..

If your eating really healthy foods you can eat a huge amount in a day and be extremely full and still have very low cal (foods like broccoli, cauliflower, fresh beans zucchini and such as the bulk of the meals. )

energy balance is the bottom line--you can"Stuff" yourself by drinking a gallon of water--there are no calories in water...you'd still starve even if you took vitamins to get the nutrients you need.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    disregard.