Les Mills Body Pump

Options
How should I add this to my exercise? I have searched for it and can't find it.

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    go to a class...?

ETA: My bad....didn't realize you meant on MFP. I think I used Circuit training the couple times I did Body Pump
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You have to create your own exercise for it. :( You will also have to estimate your own calorie burn, which is easier if you have a HRM.

How do you like the program? I was thinking about trying it.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think the question is directed to adding it to daily exercise tab.

Just find which exercise is the closest match. Perhaps circuit training?
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Les Mills' says you can burn up to an average of 560 calories/hour. The only way to know for sure how much you're burning is to have an HRM but for me I created a line item called Body Pump and use 500 calories/60 minutes but since I know it's an estimate I never eat all those calories back in a day. That's been working for me.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    when i used to do it i added it as circuit training. I loved it got out of the habit of going
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be able a product I typically get loads of spam e-mails about.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I used a hrm and added an exercise.

I burn over 500calories doing it. In the session I measured, including 10mins on the stepper beforehand, and some stretching and the class, I burned 680 cals.

Now, I take my BMR cals off that before counting how many I have left to eat!

In 90mins, but BMR is about 110 cals, so that left me with 570 to eat back.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I never burn more than the mid to high 400's for pump class.

I can't do the lunge track though, so I do squats instead.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Wearing a HRM is for sure the best way to know...but I enter it as weight training...It's not a lot of cals burned that way...but I do lots of cardio on those days too!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I teach BP classes and my average burn is 400 - 450. This class is only as difficult as you make it, I pump heavy weights to make, getting my heart pounding, and my sweat flowing. If for some reason I have to take it easy I burn as low as 250, I have friends that burn over 600 in a class at times. As you can see, that's quite a difference. Therefore, it's very difficult for someone else to tell you what your burn will be, a good hrm is the best tool you can buy to figure out exercise burns.
  • lakebreezewi
    lakebreezewi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Classes are oftered at a variety of locations...I've been to the training - it comes down to doing a minimum of 800 repetitions in a 60 minute session.
    Here's the basic outline..sort of..(as it's all copyrighted)
    Get 10 songs, each about 6 minutes long
    For each song pick 4-5 exercises with weights
    Through out each song repeat each of those 4-5 exercies as many times as you can
    Next song - a new set of 4-5 exercises and repeat (add and take away weights as you are able)
    By the end of the hour you should get in 800 total repetitions

It's the 800 reps that produce the results - at least according to the Les Mills folks.

Good Luck and happy pumping :)

You can also purchase the DVD's online
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Do circuit training, since both large and small muscle groups are used. You want major burn? Try a Les Mills BodyCombat class. I teach both BodyCombat and BodyFlow and combat burns a lot!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Do circuit training, since both large and small muscle groups are used. You want major burn? Try a Les Mills BodyCombat class. I teach both BodyCombat and BodyFlow and combat burns a lot!

Agreed, and don't forget about BodyStep, I still get mega burns from Step when I mix up my releases frequently (over 600 calories per class).
  • SBthud326
    SBthud326 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Its not just doing as many reps as you can, they constantly change the tempo too to keep your muscles confused and working hard, not settling into the same repeated movement over and over. I just list it as weight training, and I ADORE the Beachbody at home version. I am almost done with 90 days and I have lost a bunch of inches.
  • Fikinghell
    Fikinghell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just reading your posts and I add around 280 for a 'Body Combat' class (60min) I take at my gym. I'm now thinking I should up the calories on this exercise!

Les Mills has started at my gym too - was thinking it was for the 'fitties' but I might just give one class a go this weekend...

I love Body Combat but I have been hearing good things about Body Pump too! So many classes, so little time lol

Happy Pumping you lot :)
  • srohler
    srohler Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I have been taking the class at our ymca, and recently bought the home version and love it! I just wasn't sure how to add the exercise but I have it figured out now. I will wear my HRM tonight and see how I do!