Eating more to lose weight - Does it work?

Options

Replies

• julesga
    julesga Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So, how do you explain the success of people who have had weight loss surgery and eat around 800 calories/day during their losing phase?

If you are obese, your body has more fat store to allow a body to "feed on itself" to provide energy. What you don't realize is you also lose muscle mass by doing so. In the end, you will NEVER get into the shape you want to be eating 800 calories. You may be skinny, but you will never be fit.

This.

There's a difference between starvation and weight loss. You should never feel like you're starving when losing weight.

Furthermore, rapid weight loss also leaves you with a TON of excess skin because the skin can't keep up with the changing body size as easily as if you lose at a slower rate.

Age and genetics play a much bigger factor in excess skin than speed of loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    you are going to get all KINDS of differing opinions based on real life personal situations.

When I first lost my weight, I ignored my net calories and didn't eat a morsel OVER my MFP allowance of 1,200 calorie allowance, despite burning at least 1,000 calories a day.

This time around, I experimented and decided to eat back my calories so I have a NET of around 500 calories. to my horror, I piled on 8 lbs inside of almost 3 weeks.

Eat back exercise calories? not for me, as i wish to lose weight.

What you are saying is that you were living on 200 calories per day????

I ate the calories that MFP suggested for my weight loss goal of albs a week..which was around 1,200 calories per day.
    This is a prime example of what happens when you ignore the MFP system, and don't eat your exercise calories. Your MFP calorie goal is a NET goal, not a gross goal, you needy to eat more to repair the damage to your metabolism, which will cause a temporary weight gain while your thyroid function re-regulates itself, as you've essentially been starving yourself this entire time. 200-500 NET calories is no different, biologically, then not exercising and only eating 200-500 calories a day.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how it works but it does. I was stuck, hadn't lost anything for almost 2 weeks and then had 2-3 big meal days in a row. I ate fairly healthy stuff, just quite a bit more and sure enough I dropped 2lbs. I had top sirloin steak (4oz), baked potato, salad with a lot of toppings, dressing, etc. Another day I had 2 servings of fish, tons of veggies and actually used butter! Another meal was top sirloin with a sweet potato, salad. I also had Pizza Hut.. 1 slice of thin crust ham and pineapple pizza and one slice of sausage. Hmm I guess those look like normal meals now that I see them listed. LOL Maybe I should always eat this way.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    So, how do you explain the success of people who have had weight loss surgery and eat around 800 calories/day during their losing phase?

Eating less does cause weight loss, we all know that. But it doesn't cause healthy weight loss, nor permanant weight loss. Those who have had the surgery are taking all kinds of vitamins because they do not get it from food because they're only eating 800 cals per day. And, as soon as those people are able to eat more normally, they run the risk of gaining it all back, and then some.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Also, lifting heavy weights and consuming adequate protein ensures one does not lose muscle mass.

Nope. I lift heavy 3x per week and eat a ton of protein (over 100g per day) and I've lost 6 lbs of lean mass. Calorie deficits do that. Bodybuilders lose up to 40% of their gains during cut cycles (times when they are cutting fat and thus eating less) also. People who lose enormous amounts of weight lose a LOT of muscle along the way. The thing is that they have a lot to begin with, unlike those of us who only have 40-50 lbs to lose.

You can possibly argue that extremely low calorie diets are much better for those who are very obese because the loss of lean mass is not as important as the loss of fat since they have so muce more lean mass than the person who only has 50 lbs to lose. However, for someone who only has <60 lbs to lose, it matters a lot more because the loss of lean mass will be more critical then as they go forward. Hence a VLCD would be a very bad idea for someone who doesn't have huge amounts of fat to lose.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It worked for me!

I started out on 1500 net, the first 15lbs came off ok, but the last 5 were such a struggle! After a while I got fed up on being on constant low calories that I upped it to 1750 net, just to have a smaller deficit, and then the last 5 came off within a month or 2, no problem :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

If you are obese, your body has more fat store to allow a body to "feed on itself" to provide energy. What you don't realize is you also lose muscle mass by doing so. In the end, you will NEVER get into the shape you want to be eating 800 calories. You may be skinny, but you will never be fit.

This.

There's a difference between starvation and weight loss. You should never feel like you're starving when losing weight.

Furthermore, rapid weight loss also leaves you with a TON of excess skin because the skin can't keep up with the changing body size as easily as if you lose at a slower rate.

Age and genetics play a much bigger factor in excess skin than speed of loss.

Age matters, but it's a fact that people who lose slower don't have nearly the same issues with excess skin as those who dropped the weight faster. Skin will adapt to the new body along the way, but it's a slow process. The older you get, the less elastic skin is and thus it takes longer and is much more difficult to tighten. Not sure about your "genetics" comment. Do you have any sources to cite for this (science, not an opinion article)?

Furthermore, the amount of weight you lose matters also. The skin can only tighten so much. I see your point though.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am at the start of my second week having increased my calories from 1290 to 1400. My scales are still hesitant but I will try and continue as so many people have had such great results.

I exercise 5 times a week, using my HRM and I always weigh everything and log every morsal that touches my lips.

This HAS to work.............. :noway:
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Never be fit? Really? There are WLS people than compete in marathons and tris. Lots of them, actually. Also, lifting heavy weights and consuming adequate protein ensures one does not lose muscle mass.

I think you misunderstood what they were trying to say... If you ONLY eat 800 calories a day and that is ALL you do get get 'skinny' (as in, you don't exercise) then you might get skinny, but you would never be fit. I don't think that they were trying to imply that those who choose surgery are incapable of getting 'fit', only that you cannot attain that by eating a super-low calorie diet alone.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    you are going to get all KINDS of differing opinions based on real life personal situations.

When I first lost my weight, I ignored my net calories and didn't eat a morsel OVER my MFP allowance of 1,200 calorie allowance, despite burning at least 1,000 calories a day.

This time around, I experimented and decided to eat back my calories so I have a NET of around 500 calories. to my horror, I piled on 8 lbs inside of almost 3 weeks.

Eat back exercise calories? not for me, as i wish to lose weight.

What you are saying is that you were living on 200 calories per day????

I ate the calories that MFP suggested for my weight loss goal of albs a week..which was around 1,200 calories per day.

But you're saying you burned off 1000 of it. Which is a net of 200.

If you track your exercise in here, MFP will automatically up the amount you need to eat per day based on that. You should have been consuming more around 2200 not, 1200.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Never be fit? Really? There are WLS people than compete in marathons and tris. Lots of them, actually. Also, lifting heavy weights and consuming adequate protein ensures one does not lose muscle mass.

What I am saying, you won't get fit off of eating 800 calories. I understand that there are stories of those who did the surgery and then got fit after they lost weight, but at that point, they are probably eating more.
  • malevolentlizard
    Options
    i tried it last summer and it completely worked. lost 24lbs in 4 months!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    As an aside, eating 1200 calories and exercising is not clinically diagnosable anorexia nervosa. It takes a lot of criteria to meet that diagnosis, and it's one of the most if not the most lethal mental illness.

AN is also different than the purely physiological term anorexia, which means poor appetite, for any reason.
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i just started this about a week ago. what happened was mfp suggested i eat 1200 calories a day which i did. i lost 8 lbs the first month. 2lbs the second month and then stopped losing after that. i also became extremely tired. i started seeing posts on here about eating more so i decided to find my bmr which is 1543. my plan was to up my calories by 200 to see what would happen. i gained a pound the first two days and then lost 2 the next 3. i did not exercise at all last week.

i think i will pay attention to what my body needs and eat accordingly. when i exercise i will attempt to eat back at least half of the calories as to not create too big of a deficit for the day. i will also increase my calories in about a week or so so that i am eating more than my bmr but less than tdee.

i think you should ease into it and have patience. you'll be satisfied with the results.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No this doesn't work, apparently. I'm back up to my starting weight so forget that *kitten*.

May I ask you why it doesn't work for you?
    How long did your body to adjust to upping your calories?

Are you weighing and measuring your food accurately?

When I upped my calories,I was told to give it 2-3 weeks because I may see temporary water weight gain. It takes a bit for your body to adjust to the increase in calories.

Ahh nevermind my response. I'm just having a hard day. I increased my workouts (cardio/strength), and have been keeping my foods in check and within my range. Seems I'm gaining more now than ever and it's a bit depressing.
    I'm 5'9, back to starting weight of 181.2 this morning and am trying not to let it bring me down. I'm honest in my diary logging (as it only hurts me not to be!) and I suppose all I can do is drink a ton more water, and keep up with exercise.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yes. It does work. Your body needs enou fuel and energy to lose weight. To few calories and weight loss slows or stops. I've seen it repeatedly with the people I am working with here.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No this doesn't work, apparently. I'm back up to my starting weight so forget that *kitten*.

May I ask you why it doesn't work for you?
    How long did your body to adjust to upping your calories?

Are you weighing and measuring your food accurately?

When I upped my calories,I was told to give it 2-3 weeks because I may see temporary water weight gain. It takes a bit for your body to adjust to the increase in calories.

Ahh nevermind my response. I'm just having a hard day. I increased my workouts (cardio/strength), and have been keeping my foods in check and within my range. Seems I'm gaining more now than ever and it's a bit depressing.
    I'm 5'9, back to starting weight of 181.2 this morning and am trying not to let it bring me down. I'm honest in my diary logging (as it only hurts me not to be!) and I suppose all I can do is drink a ton more water, and keep up with exercise.

And yes, I make sure the types of calories I eat count. I don't just eat "anything." I'm health conscious and love clean meals. I know I've gotta make them even cleaner if I want the results I'm after!
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. That is what I meant. More than your BMR but less than your TDEE. The question is has this method worked and so far from the rather quick replies (thanks btw) it has worked.

So I will give it a shot. Thanks.

Absolutely. This is how I broke through my plateau at 7 lbs lost...only a few weeks ago. I started MFP with the standard goal of 1 lb/week and it set me at 1370, which at first I thought I was good to go because it was more than 1200. Then I also started working out. As soon as I started working out, the weight loss stopped. After doing some research and talking to a few of the knowledgable souls here, I've upped my per-exercise calories to 1500 and have been back to losing. It does seem counter-intuitive, but remember that food is fuel and your body needs it! ;)

Good luck!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes. At the beginning of the year, I was eating 1200 calories and exercising (burning around 500 calories) and I did not lose weight.

Then my MFP girls told me to eat more. I researched a little more along with another one of my MFP girls. And found that I should eat my lean weight in protein. So, I increased my calories to 1600-1900 (I eat 1600-1900 and exercise 500 calories) BUT, I changed my macros to 35/35/30 Protein/Carbs/Fat. And this is what worked.

So just increasing calories did not work alone, I had to change what I was eating.