Bread, to eat or not to eat

Options
YOur thoughts please.
My weight loss has plateaued and this coincides with me going from on slice of granary bread a day to 4. I have stayed below my calories, just wondered if others thoughts.
Thanks

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Bread does this to me, too, so I try to limit it.
  • megimoops
    megimoops Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    try for a few days going back to just one slice

and see what happens

but I think that you have done remarkably well loosing all you have lost
    I only joined last night,

meg
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Meg!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well are you carb sensitive?

I really do not think that it is problematic.

Do you eat enought to feed your body or are you too low and your body is freaking out?
    How long have you been at this plateau? If it is less then 6-8 weeks, it is not really a plateau.
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Meg and welcome

I guess it really isnt a plateau as such, just from 2lb a week loss to less than a 1lb in 3 weeks. I have upped my calories a bit to try that too
  • scooterist
    Options
    I've been doing this for about three months now. I cannot last a morning on a bowl of cereal or porridge so I ditched white and 50/50 bread and start every day on three slices of wholemeal toast with marmite.

Sometimes I even have sandwiches for lunch too. If I don't have bread I have (wholemeal) pasta or brown rice - and dinner has always got carbs in too.

If I don't get my carbs I want to snack.

I don't think bread is the devil it's made out to be - still losing 2-4lbs a week.
  • FinalOutrage
    Options
    Hi Meg and welcome

I guess it really isnt a plateau as such, just from 2lb a week loss to less than a 1lb in 3 weeks. I have upped my calories a bit to try that too
    Unless you're at the same weight for two months consecutively or longer then it isn't a plateau. Eating more carbs ups your glycogen storage which also packs in water weight. Depletion of glycogen stores also lead to hunger.
    /thread.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single day and it has not made a difference to my weight loss. I always try and pick wholegrain bread over white, just for the simple reason that it keeps me satiated for longer.

I can't imagine it's made any difference, but what changes have brought about the increase in bread? Is it taking the place of something else?
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for about three months now. I cannot last a morning on a bowl of cereal or porridge so I ditched white and 50/50 bread and start every day on three slices of wholemeal toast with marmite.

Sometimes I even have sandwiches for lunch too. If I don't have bread I have (wholemeal) pasta or brown rice - and dinner has always got carbs in too.

If I don't get my carbs I want to snack.

I don't think bread is the devil it's made out to be - still losing 2-4lbs a week.

Your body NEEDS carbs. Bread is not evil. Obviously you don't want to down a loaf a day or anything, lol. I agree that I think it has been given a bad rep.

OP I think you are doing fine. Just make sure you eat whole wheat and not white bread. (I should take my own advice lol).
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    YOur thoughts please.
    My weight loss has plateaued and this coincides with me going from on slice of granary bread a day to 4. I have stayed below my calories, just wondered if others thoughts.
    Thanks

Go back to what you were doing before, if the weight suddenly shifts again, you will know what to avoid xxx
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    YOur thoughts please.
    Thanks

I don't restrict anything - If it fits in my macros and my calories, I eat it.

It could be water weight from replenished glygogen if you have increased your carbs from your usual intake.
  • kabloozi
    kabloozi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try one slice of bread in the morning making it a wise whole grain choice. That way you feel fuller longer and work it off throughout the day. Good luck.
  • tatya317
    tatya317 Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi There,

Well first of all I'm asian so all my life , I am near rice..LOL.. which is carb. Forget about bread and pasta.. that's nothing to me. hee hee. We can live without them.. but it was the rice. the yummy jasmin rice you find in the chinese restaurant. every day our rice cooker is full :)

But, as I got smarter ..I have learn to let go the steam rice and actually has grown to love brown rice when I cook it with different spices and herbs that has no sodium and healthy natural yummy flavors. I have also grown to love whole wheat pasta and whole wheat breads. Aunt millies has awesome wheat bread that has only about 30-40 cal a slice.

So to make my story short, I was brought up with carbs so I can't live without it daily. I just learned a bit of change and moderation. Carbs breads are good for you , just know how to eat it thats all :)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I can put weight on with bread so I limit it. As I miss it, I had a whole wholemeal loaf over 4 days last week and still lost 2.75 pounds today. I do prefer to have wholemeal rolls at the beginning of the week. I won't have any the day before my weigh in day. Tomorrow, I will have some nice bacon which I haven't had for ages.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, but not as much as I used to. Ive always loved the denser whole grain kinds anyway, so no big change there. What I really miss is tortillas. Living here, delicious handmade tortillas are always available and they are sooooo good, but not so good for me. I don't eat them very often now.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't handle breads or any carb for that matter very well. I limit to 3 whole grain slices per week. I cut out sugars and pastas and limit total carbs to less than 100 per day. I am on a 1300 calorie diet. It can be hard but I can't lose weight consistently if I don't do this.
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What I would do is increase the water intake. If you don't get enough water your body will store it. Water weighs a lot! I eat what I want and don't restrict too much...esp carbos.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have heard that most store-bought breads are "cakes in disguise" and can be associated with significant weight gain due to their high glycemic indexes. I get most of my grains from brown rice for the most part, but one bread that I will say is safe is Ezekiel 100% Whole Grain Sprouted Bread. They are different from other breads in that they are completely flourless and made with filtered water. They also aren't grinded down like the other breads so they have more nutrients. You can find them in the freezer section.