Stores, and their annoying sinze changes!

Options
So I went shopping last night and bought my very first pair of size 6 pants! EVER!! :smooched: WOO HOO!

But the annoying thing is that the size is always changing depending on store to store. I'm a size 10 in American Eagle, Size 8 at Express and now size 6 at Limited. Can't store just base their sizes off of actual size rather then it arbitrary number?! :mad: It makes me so annoyed that I have to try on 3 different sizes at three different stores to actually find a pair of pants that fit! Anyone else feel my pain!?

Replies

• DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Actually, there was a time when clothing sizes were regulated by the federal gov't to be standard with Military uniform sizing. In the mid 1980's the clothing industry was deregulated.
    Personally, I wish everything was based on measurements instead of arbitrary numbers. If women get offended that they wear a size 40 inche waste, it might have a positive effect on ending the obesity trend.

One industry that has remained relatively the same over the years is the Formal and Bridal wear industry. Generally speaking "Dress" size is about what was in the 1940's. If you want to get an accurate picture of what you really wear go to a formal wear store and try on some dresses.
    Denise
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    actually each designer / store has their own model.... stinks! hence no consistency
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I know, I need to try on 2 different sizes in every store I go into, and it's worse at Kohls or JcPenny's between brands. But it's much more fun to try on 6, 8, 10 than it is 14 or 16...LOL
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It is sooooo annoying! X
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's just a number, don't let your confidence be ruled by it. I have jeans that are a size 8, and I have jeans that are a size 15...they both fit the exact same way, but the brands are different. Who cares what the number is? Nobody sees it but you!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yes, all the time! Women's sizes are crazy. If I need an ego boost, I go to Macy's, where I can get into something 4 sizes smaller than at Target. I wish women's sizes were by measurement like men's sizes. It would be so much easier, but then the expensive products wouldn't sell as well. When you were larger, wouldn't you rather say you wore a size 8 than a size 12? I would. Then I go to Macy's. :laugh:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    well, they arent even always consistent within the SAME store. I have one pair of gap jeans size 6 (SIX 6!) that fit like a dream. Other Gap jeans, i need 8 or 10! I wear an 8 at American Eagle, but in some stores, up to a 14.

Yes, dress sizes are more consistent, but I hate dress shopping. lol I am a lot bigger up top and no bum or thighs, so i need a 16 or 18 dress in some cases just to make "the girls" fit.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the option of shopping at those stores. I haven't gotten small enough to have the luxury of shopping at different stores.

Guess that's a plus for being fat? :tongue:

Anyway, yes, it is annoying that different places have different sizing. But some of that is cut as well. Even at the one store I can shop at, different jean cuts mean different sizes for me.

Don't some designers, especially European ones, do it by measurement?
  • riverabeth
    riverabeth Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sooooo annoying! I have 3 pairs of pants (no clue what brand) that are size 10, but the two pair from the juniors section are size 15! I have no clue what my "true" size is. People seem shocked when I tell them my jeans are size 10 so the ones I have must run big or something. I don't care what the tag says anymore, as long as I feel good in them!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I wear anything from a size 12 through 16W depending on the brand and cut. Annoying as all getout!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care about the number and would prefer a straight forward system so that no matter what brand I was looking at I could just pick up a few colors rather than a few sizes to try. The numbers I'm concerned with are my measurements and my weight and when they are in an acceptable range then I'll be doing the happy dance.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    How do they expect you to shop on-line, when the sizes are inconsistent like that.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wish everything was based on measurements instead of arbitrary numbers. If women get offended that they wear a size 40 inche waste, it might have a positive effect on ending the obesity trend.

Agreed! I've found a couple of stores that carry jeans in the actual measurements, but because I'm so used to the 'other' sizes, I have no idea what size I would pick in those stores. And I don't measure myself at all.

PLUS, those stores think it's 'trendy' to use the real measurements so they jack up their prices. The last store I was in (The Buckle?) the jeans were over $100. Sorry, but I am NOT paying that much for a pair if jeans - I walked right back out.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    How do they expect you to shop on-line, when the sizes are inconsistent like that.

Oh, they include a (not so handy) sizing chart on the websites.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I wish women's jeans were sized like men's. My husband wears a 32x34, which is hard to find, but you know it's gonna fit! Whether he likes the jeans is a different issue, but he doesn't have to take 5 pairs of the same pants to try on.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Do what most women do and find a few brands that you really like and know the sizing and buy lots of those. Most of my clothes are only 3-5 different brands because of inconsistent sizing.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you *really* want to feel good about yourself, shop Ann Taylor. I'm normally a size 4-6 in jeans, but their jeans, I'm a size 0! I *know* I'm not a size 0. Never has been, never will be, don't want to be either.
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agrre, SO ANNOYING!!!! I also wish jeans were labeled like men's jeans. So much easier if you know the width and length that you need.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I was just b!tching about this this weekend.

time it took me to buy 4 pairs of jeans and 2 shirts: under 45mins.
    time it took her to decide she didnt like any of the pants there..... 3 hours. most of that spent trying to find the correct size.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've heard that men's pants are starting to get inflated sizes too - i.e. a 34x36 may be slightly more than 34 inches around the waist... just another symptom of America's refusal to acknowledge the obesity epidemic!