Low-Calorie Breakfast and Lunch ideas

Options
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for low-calorie breakfast and lunch recipes. I'm only eating 1200 calories a day and need some ideas to prevent using up too many calories before dinner. Any suggestions?

Replies

• catwhitfield1980
    catwhitfield1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    porridge oats made with water - you can make a big bowl full with 60g of porridge outs for around 230 cals. Add sweetner if you need it :-)
  • marcy868
    marcy868 Posts: 1
    Options
    Kari,

I've been making smoothies every day for breakfast...I don't have a precise recipe, but I use: almond milk, 1 banana, frozen strawberries & frozen peaches.

there are a lot of variations on this.... I've also used: almond milk, 1 banana, and on 2 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter.

Hope this helps!
  • 0lightasair
    0lightasair Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    egg whites and oven toasted turkey bacon.
    Oatmeal & veggies/fruits.
  • kimmieMcF
    kimmieMcF Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    for breakfast I often hav egg whites with a mix of onions peppers and tomoatoes - sauted in olive oil (just a little) I also sometimes make salsa with tomatos chipotle chile, cilantro, garlic salt and onion. (no cheese - one yolk max (try three whites) no bread (sorry). I heap on the sauted vegetables.

Little additions of flavorful, but low calorie vegetables to more substantial foods have helped me stay at my 1200 cal a day goal for 1 month! - and I've lost 10 lbs. - and the biggest surprise of all, it was easy once I got the hang of eating differently. I do the cauliflowerr mock mashed potato thing. Any vegetable you can add really helps - I use butter, but track the amount used in calories.

I sometimes make a curry squash soup, using frozen squash and a little butter and curry powder. (easy and fast) also tuna salads, - lettuce, olive oil and vinegar and tuna fish, no mayo, adding red peppers, cucumbers, anything like that. I try to keep apples and oranges around and make sure I eat them for snacks. Also I gave up all dairy (except butter) which eliminates cheese. I use tons of unsweetened almond milk in coffees and ice coffees, but it's only 40 calories a serving, Blue Diamond has a coconut/almond milk mix, unsweetened at 45 calories a cup - works great in banana smoothies (add cocoa if you need it) but no sugar.

I keep v8 juice around too. the key to my success has been - no sugar. That cuts out tons of foods that are high in calories. I found, I am eating more than ever, especially veggies but feeling so good! good luck, focus on good stuff you like to eat
  • Ashlyerin92
    Options
    Frozen waffles (I prefer blueberry Eggo's) with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter spread over them. It comes to a total of 370 calories, has 11 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. I also like to add a sliced banana for added fiber if I need a little something extra to hold me over until lunch. :wink:
  • Cindygutie
    Cindygutie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like english muffins or low calorie wheat bread with laughing cow light cheese and some fruit. I also do smoothies with frozen fruit and unsweetened almond breeze (40 calories per cup). There's also PB2, a low calorie peanut butter powder that you add water to make.

For lunch i do a lot of canned soups - i know, high in sodium, but it gets the job done. I keep an bowl at work so its easy to grab. Then ill add fruit or a lowfat yogurt to lunch. I also do low calorie bread with Tuna or egg white salad. Green salad with a low cal dressing is always a good bet. Its always helpful to pre-pack and measure the night before so that in the morning you don't have to think about it. Good luck!
  • heatherlfulton
    heatherlfulton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We do steel cut oats for oatmeal with a little dried fruit in the fall and winter, then switch to granola with yogurt in the spring/summer.
    Oatmeal:
    Granola: 1/4 cup each Back to Nature classic & Chocolate with 1 serving Activia lite (strawberry or vanilla) - around 280 calories
    Oatmeal: Steel cut oats 1/4 cup dry, dried mixed berries 1/4 cup, 1/8 c milk (2% or soy), and 3tsp brown sugar - around 325 calories

When we have time to eat at home instead of taking it to work we will do egg white omelets with a variety of fillings:
    Bell pepper, onion, turkey sausage with fresh tomato or salsa is good
    Salmon with asparagus is also really good.

Lunches the last few days have been PB&J sandwiches with carrots - 327 calories if you use only 1Tbs each of peanut butter and preserves. Peasant lunches are also pretty good: slice of bread or crackers, fruit, low cal cheese, veggies (carrots, celery, bell pepper) - this makes it so you can snack on it in stages if you need to.

I hope this helps.
  • slynnd123
    Options
    For breakfast I mix one whole egg and 2 egg whites for around 100 calories, and then add a piece of toast which is 50 calories. Sometimes I add low-fat cheese or some sugar-free jelly to mix it up. Filling but under 300 calories
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    Bump
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    Grits are usually 100 per pouch...I see people eating instant oatmeal that is around 100 calories as well.

As for lunch, I buy the Orowheat Sandwich Thins which are kinda like flat hamburger buns that I put deli shaved lunchmeat on and eat it with mustard. My roast beef is 60 calories for 6 slices and my turkey breast is 50 calories for 6 slices, the sandwich thins are 100 cals and the mustard is none. I alot of times eat this with dill pickles which are also calorie free!!!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Two scrambled eggs (140 cal) and 2 pieces of turkey bacon (50 cal) on a whole wheat tortilla (120).

All in all, a 310 calorie breakfast. Add a little salsa for an extra 10 calories for taste.

For lunch I eat PB on a mini bagel and a piece of fruit (about 400 cal). Most soups are about 200 calories a can. Salads with lean meats and light dressing can be under 300.

May I ask why you only eat 1200 calories a day? Most people have success on higher calories than that. If you are exercising you should be eating those calories and netting 1200 a day. Not "eating" 1200.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I make egg muffins by filling a muffin tin half full with sauteed veggies (red pepper, onion, mushrooms, spinach etc). Then beat a dozen eggs and 1 tsp. baking powder and pour over top so each is about 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Each is less than 100 calories. You can freeze them then thaw the night before and pop them in the microwave for a quick breakfast. I usually do two per meal with a piece of fruit...about 250-300 calories.

Another favorite is a frozen waffle (I use Vans gluten-free) with a Tbsp of peanut butter and a banana...310 calories.
  • Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    egg whites and oven toasted turkey bacon.
    Oatmeal & veggies/fruits.

This :)
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    Breakfast

*Instant oatmeal packets are my lifesavers! I prefer the stuff you actually cook, but the packets are so easy (not to mention already measured) and great for the office or a busy morning that it's hard to resist. They are usually around 100 cals, leaving you plenty of cals to add honey, pumpkin, peanut butter, berries, apples, bananas, cinnamon…whatever flavors you like. Oatmeal is one of the only breakfasts that keeps me full until lunch.
    *1/2 grapefruit + boiled egg with salt and pepper
    *Low fat Greek yogurt + granola + berries - just make sure you measure the granola because the cals add up quickly
    *1 scrambled egg + 1 egg white + wholegrain toast - a slice of toast always keeps me full for some reason
    *I don't usually bother with cereal for breakfast anymore…it NEVER keeps me full.

Lunch

*turkey sandwich + carrots and hummus
    *salad loaded with carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, a homemade vinegar & oil dressing and a sprinkle of feta cheese, maybe a few pieces of grilled chicken
    *veggie soup with rice or corn cakes
    *and if you're in a hurry, subway is always a great option…plenty of choices that will fit into your calorie "budget"

good luck!
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    About 9 Tblsp Southwest flavor Egg Beaters scrambled with fat free cheese sprinkled on top and salsa with a 100-calorie English muffin with some sort of fruit. If you're feeling wild, throw in some onions/peppers/mushrooms and make an omelet!

Southwest Egg Beaters (9 Tblsp): 60 calories
    1/8 cup fat free cheddar: 23 calories
    English muffin: 100 calories
    3/4 cup sliced strawberries: 42 calories

TOTAL: 225 calories

And very filling!
  • believeandtry
    believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    love these ideas!
  • rolipolioli
    Options
    Wasa multigrain and 7 grain crackers are 45 and 20 calories a cracker, the size of a slice of bread. I recently put eggs and spinach on em with a grapefruit for breakfast and I was satisfied! Also lovely with brie cheese and cherry tomatoes, and nut butter could work on it too...
  • swrlgrl
    swrlgrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! Can't wait to try it.
  • kari1813
    kari1813 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like rice cereal with vanilla almond milk with any fruit,low in calories all around
  • fit4evaR
    fit4evaR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    egg white omelet with ham, sauteed veggies and a bit of parmesan:)