Frustrated...

Options
MFPr's I could use your help in letting me know if this is normal of what I can do? All last week I ate under my calories (1350-1500) and I did 30 minutes of kettlebell workouts on Monday/Wed/Fri. I walked a mile each day on Tuesday and Thursday. Yet however, when I weighed in on Saturday morning, I had only lost a depressing 0.2lbs. I'm frustrated and not sure why after working my butt off I saw no results. Is this normal? Should I up my calories? Down my calories?? Thanks for reading! :grumble:

Replies

• Bassafrass80
    Bassafrass80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I can't help with an answer but I'm in the same boat.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You might get more responses if you open your diary
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any of your exercise calories? Also, are you meticulous in logging your food? How much sodium do you usual take in? Are you eating a lot of processed foods and eating out a lot? When was the last time you saw a doctor and had your blood tested? I ask because it could be a medical issue as to why you aren't losing weight.

Depending on the answer, it can affect how much you lose.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I know that when I started my body held on to those lbs. for dear life the first two weeks. Then bam-three lbs. Look into what the lawkat suggests and drink lots of water too.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been there, I sort of still am, having only lost five pounds in three months HOWEVER-

1. I have lost three inches on my waist.
    2. I have lost four inches on my hips.
    3. I have gone from a size 12 to a 10.
    4. People are saying I look like I have lost a ton of weight.
    5. My husband loves my new smaller tighter bum. (I am not English, I just like to say "bum" haha!)

So I say don't worry as much about the scale. It will take its sweet time, but do take measurements and record weekly. Also, take before pictures and take pics every month, to compare. You will see a big difference. It has been three months for me, and I have learned that when you exercise, you build muscle, which will affect the weight on the scale, so you must look at it in other ways with measurements and how your clothes fit, etc.
  • tlschlp
    tlschlp Posts: 54
    Options
    Aside from what the scale says ... how are you feeling? Do you feel stronger and less out of breath? Are your clothes feeling a bit looser?

Have you taken any measurements lately (or at all)? If you have, have your measurements stayed the same or gotten lower (or higher)?

Looking to the scale for validation is fine, but it is only one SMALL part of the picture! You could be building muscle (which weighs the same as fat, but takes up less space -- thus your inches will be decreasing).

Not looking at your diet ... do you use a HRM to get an accurate representation of how many calories you are burning during kettlebell & walking? You might be underestimating them (if you use MFP's gauge) and therefore not eating enough.

So many possibilities ... and I'm not one to lecture on any of them (my weight has remained the same for a number of months now!). But, maybe try to increase your cals by 200 for a week or two and see what happens (keeping your exercise the same).

Good luck!
  • Bassafrass80
    Options
    Do you eat any of your exercise calories? Also, are you meticulous in logging your food? How much sodium do you usual take in? Are you eating a lot of processed foods and eating out a lot? When was the last time you saw a doctor and had your blood tested? I ask because it could be a medical issue as to why you aren't losing weight.

Depending on the answer, it can affect how much you lose.

Yes, I eat some of my exercise calories. I just don't have a HRM so I go off what MFP says and I feel it inflates the calories burned number. I do log my food EVERY day. I don't eat out at all except for on weekends and that's maybe twice over the whole weekend. My sodium is usually about average, but I do drink about 80-100oz of water per day. I just had a physical about 2 months ago and it's all great!
  • Bassafrass80
    Options
    Aside from what the scale says ... how are you feeling? Do you feel stronger and less out of breath? Are your clothes feeling a bit looser?

Have you taken any measurements lately (or at all)? If you have, have your measurements stayed the same or gotten lower (or higher)?

Looking to the scale for validation is fine, but it is only one SMALL part of the picture! You could be building muscle (which weighs the same as fat, but takes up less space -- thus your inches will be decreasing).

Not looking at your diet ... do you use a HRM to get an accurate representation of how many calories you are burning during kettlebell & walking? You might be underestimating them (if you use MFP's gauge) and therefore not eating enough.

So many possibilities ... and I'm not one to lecture on any of them (my weight has remained the same for a number of months now!). But, maybe try to increase your cals by 200 for a week or two and see what happens (keeping your exercise the same).

Good luck!

Yes, my clothes are looser so I know I'm losing inches. I just started to do my measurements so I have yet to see if I'm losing there but I assume I am. Sadly I do not have a HRM, I'm looking in to getting one as I don't think MFP's calories burned are always accurate. Thanks for your help! :)
  • Bassafrass80
    Options
    Hi. I have been there, I sort of still am, having only lost five pounds in three months HOWEVER-

1. I have lost three inches on my waist.
    2. I have lost four inches on my hips.
    3. I have gone from a size 12 to a 10.
    4. People are saying I look like I have lost a ton of weight.
    5. My husband loves my new smaller tighter bum. (I am not English, I just like to say "bum" haha!)

So I say don't worry as much about the scale. It will take its sweet time, but do take measurements and record weekly. Also, take before pictures and take pics every month, to compare. You will see a big difference. It has been three months for me, and I have learned that when you exercise, you build muscle, which will affect the weight on the scale, so you must look at it in other ways with measurements and how your clothes fit, etc.

Thanks so much! I just started taking measurements so I'm excited to see how that goes. I just hate working my butt off and expecting to see a decent loss and seeing nothing!! But you are right, it's more about losing inches and looking and most importantly, FEELING better!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It would help to see your food diary. Don't give up after only a week. Take your measurement and don't use the scale and your only indication of success. This is a change for a healthier you and the number on the scale is only part of the picture. When was the last time you have a physical as there are true medical reasons for not losing weight (I'm hypothyroid).

This is what works for me: I only weigh in once a month. I try to keep my net calories above 1200 and I use MFP for my calorie burns not an HRM. I go to Curves 5 days a week and hula hoop for 3 minutes nearly every day.

Feel free to add me for support.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I upped my calories to 1400 from 1200 and the last two weeks I've seen no change and actually gained a half a pound. I have been working about at least 3 times a week. My measurements have not changed in the last 3 weeks either. I am wondering if I am eating too much? IDK. I've seen a lot of ppl have success eating 1400-1600 cals or more a day. I'm scared that I'll undo all my work if I try more calories.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell since you don't give us much details about how long you have been at it, how much you weight, and what's in your diary. From the weight you have to lose... I am guessing you are eating way less than you should. I'm guessing something around 1600-1800 should work better for you and you should still lose weight.
    Try also some weight lifting. I put it off for the longest time... but it really helps.

Good luck.
  • JillMoto
    JillMoto Posts: 8
    Options
    It sounds like you're not consuming enough calories and your body is going into starvation mode. When this happens, your body holds onto every calorie you take in and your metabolism drastically drops, making it harder to shed the pounds. Believe it or not, upping your calories should help. Did a doctor recommend such low amounts? That really is very, very low.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I upped my calories to 1400 from 1200 and the last two weeks I've seen no change and actually gained a half a pound. I have been working about at least 3 times a week. My measurements have not changed in the last 3 weeks either. I am wondering if I am eating too much? IDK. I've seen a lot of ppl have success eating 1400-1600 cals or more a day. I'm scared that I'll undo all my work if I try more calories.

No be persistent. I upped my calories, saw first a gain (about 2 lb) then finally went down. Took almost 3 weeks before it started to go down (and still is now). Any change takes time. Your body has to figure out what to do....
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Put the scale away for 3 weeks, keep doing what you are doing and take comfort in the fact that you are doing something wonderful for a long life of being healthy. This is a journey with out a finish line, just keep doing the next right thing, you will never EVER regret waking up one morning and not giving up.

Take care, good luck and what ever you do, do not give up. You can do this, if it were easy, everyone would do it, stay strong friend.
  • Aliciah130
    Options
    Ppl plateau all the time in addition to the fact that muscle does weigh more than fat so if u r building lean muscles u won't see the scale change as much as u will notice clothes fitting differently etc!!!!!! Try increasing ur calories by 200 for a week or 2 n see if that makes any difference :) N keep up the good work :)
  • Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    to me the scale is a HUGE demotivator so i stopped using it.
    try jumping on it once a month but using measuerments as a sign things are working.
    you should open up your food diary if you want some suggestions.
    just make sure you are logging everything.
    stay motivated!!!
  • eve_1013
    eve_1013 Posts: 7
    Options
    If your clothes are looser that before, means you are losing inches which is a better way of losing weight. I told my doctor on my last physical that I dont seem to notice any pounds but my clothes are looser that they used to be and I am down one size. So just keep doing the excercise and counting your calories. Its been almost 40 days for me exercising 3 or sometimes 4 days a week and counting my calories, I have lost 7 pounds...and my clothes are feel bigger on me too. So dont get discarriage.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would second what everyone else has said

I lost 6lbs in my first week on MFP. 'Gained' it all back in week two (and was almost ready to give up) but it all magically disappeared in week 3 despite neither my diet or exercise schedule changing.

Such is life!

Remember:
    It probably took longer than a week to gain the weight you were expecting to lose so don't be so hard on yourself. Keep working out, keep taking your measurements and remember your body doesn't operate on a timetable!