Heart Rate Monitor: Staying in the burn zone.

Options
Does anyone else have trouble staying in their burn zone? I have been using my HRM when doing my weight training and lately during the rest between sets my heart rate is dropping back to normal VERY quickly. I want to stay in my burn zone can I burn the extra calories, but it isn't happening. Any thoughts?

Replies

• joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There's some debate on how accurate the HRM is during weight training but nevertheless,, how long are you taking between sets? I try to stay around 30 seconds and no more than a minute. More like circuit training.
  • whiplashpcw
    whiplashpcw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's all I take between sets. I try for 30 seconds between each set.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    lower the weights slower
  • joec63
    Options
    When I'm strugging on the last three reps then I know I have the correct weight. My heart rate is spiking.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to stay in a zone during strength training. Strength training is not cardio, and your HR is elevated due to different physiological responses. That being said, zones are a crock of S%#t and should be largely ignored.

With Cardio the harder you work the more cals you burn the more fat you lose, regardless of zone.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Silly question but What is the burn zone range w/an HRM? I use one but really have no idea how high it should go...I get it up to 84% at times but I know that is too high to stay in for a long period of time...I think anyways...Is it 50% I have no idea...Thanks for the help!! :)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    That's good that your heart is adjusting faster, it means it is getting stronger!

I always wait until 30 secs OR until I drop below "the zone," whichever is quicker. I figure that I don't need to rest longer if my body has already recouped. (Usually for me it's more like 20 secs so I still get some rest in.)
  • jsapninz
    Options
    Silly question but What is the burn zone range w/an HRM? I use one but really have no idea how high it should go...I get it up to 84% at times but I know that is too high to stay in for a long period of time...I think anyways...Is it 50% I have no idea...Thanks for the help!! :)

My polar ft4 calculates it based on the average for your age/weight/height. It is probably 50 or 60%.... I'm 24/135lbs/5'5", and my zone heart rate is 125 (resting is a hair over 70, max is 194).
  • jsapninz
    Options
    That being said, zones are a crock of S%#t and should be largely ignored.

Wow, uhm, the zone is just a goal heart rate....not something to get all upset about. :tongue:
  • whiplashpcw
    Options
    Nice response :)

Wow, uhm, the zone is just a goal heart rate....not something to get all upset about. :tongue:
  • whiplashpcw
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help and opinions. Maybe I will just have to lower the amount of rest between sets.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Not upset at all, just pointed out that zones are full of s%^t. The zone myth has been debunked the higher the HR the better your results (athletic performance and total fat loss)
  • joec63
    Options

Not upset at all, just pointed out that zones are full of s%^t. The zone myth has been debunked the higher the HR the better your results (athletic performance and total fat loss)

Everything will be debunked at one time or another...10 yrs from now all of the conventional wisdom and truth we take as gospel today will be out the door. Just wait : )
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

My polar ft4 calculates it based on the average for your age/weight/height. It is probably 50 or 60%.... I'm 24/135lbs/5'5", and my zone heart rate is 125 (resting is a hair over 70, max is 194).

Thank you for letting me know...I thought at least 50% but wasn't sure... :)