Healthy products that are not healthy.

Options
I found that a lot of "healthy" products are not healthy at all.
I am using fooducate to identify what foods are healthy or not,
for my surprise, there are a lot of unhealthy ingredients on them.

What you guys think?

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It is pretty shocking. Many of the low fat options have higher sugar or salt. Low sugar has higher salt, etc. And the ingredients you'd never recognize! I've cut out almost all "processed" foods. If I don't know what the ingredients are I don't eat it. Actually makes shopping much easier: I hit produce, meat, dairy, and I'm done. A few excursions into the middle for coffee and TP and such.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've seen the same thing. I'm trying to make healthier choices with snack foods for myself and my kids. I have to keep snack food with us while we're out running around with activities. We live in the desert so fruits and veggies don't travel so well in the heat, especially if I forget them in the car! I found a display in the bakery at Walmart with lots of organic and natural snack foods. Yes, they are still processed with some questionable ingredients. They're still better than what we were eating. We like the sesame sticks and puffed snap peas. They have good fats and whole grain. We also like the nut blends with dried fruit and dark chocolate covered almonds! Those are all good!
  • everinm
    everinm Posts: 19
    Options
    I am glad there are tools that help us to choose what is better for us and what bad ingredients are on them. I will use this application on my next shopping to be sure to select truly healthy products.

Thanks for responding and have a great day!

6849020.png
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It always comes back to "read the labels" for both nutritional information and ingredients. It's amazing what lengths food companies will go to to disguise sugars, here's a list of different names for sugar.....

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=4604171
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I try to cut out processed foods and I would love to not eat them at all, but I don't have the time on my hands to make every last thing I eat. All my meals are cooked and made from "scratch" by today's standards. I don't buy ready made sides or box dinners. I also don't buy snack foods. AT ALL. My snacks consists of nuts or fruit or some kind of cheese. I don't buy desserts either or any kind of candy. For the last couple months, I haven't bought any bread except for wraps. I do pay a lot more attention to food labels and go for the reduced sugar/salt/fat within reason. Like others have said, sometimes the reduced ingredient is compensated with something else.

If I had more time on my hands, I'd love to cut out more processed foods.