asthma and exercise

Options
In January, after 3 weeks of not being able to breathe, I was diagnosed with mild asthma and put on a daily inhaler. After a week on it, I was able to exercise again. Been doing well since, until I got a cold last week (which is what the pulmonologist thinks triggered the January episode) and now my asthma is out of whack again. The daily isn't doing it on it's own, and the albuterol sample ran out Sat. morning. I am getting a new one today and hopefully will feel better soon. All that to say, I have not exercised since last Tuesday other than very slow walks with my toddler. I really don't want to wait another week to feel up to exercising again, especially since I had planned to be off next week while traveling.

So my question is, for those of you with asthma, what do you do for exercise? How do you balance it? Right now I get SOB when walking, but I am not dizzy. Some cough. I was thinking of maybe doing some yoga today, and resuming cardio/weights once the SOB goes away in a few days.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    What's the daily you're using? I've had good luck recently with Dulera ...

My asthma is typically pretty mild, but I am careful when doing stuff outdoors - especially this time of year, as seasonal allergies tend to make it worse for me.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Dulera is my daily.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking about this and then stumbled onto your post. I have had allergy/exercise induced asthma for 5 years now. It sucks....especially for me, being a medic and all and knowing exactly what is going on during an attack. I have to be careful not to get my heart rate above 125-130 otherwise I will have an attack. The only thing I do now for exercise is walk. :( I used to run but between my asthma and a back injury I can't any more. I want to start taking out and riding my bike but I haven't as of yet. I bought a yoga DVD and need to try to find time to try that too. Anyone else frustrated with their asthma and inability to exercise?
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I am sick, an inhaler will not make the grade. I have a nebulizer (breathing treatment machine). It works wonders! Your doctor can prescribe one for you and most insurances cover them. When I have a really bad attack due to being sick, I give myself a breathing treatment and I feel much better. If I'm super sick I do treatment 3 - 4 times a day.