How soon until the scale stops moving UP after starting a ne

Options
So I started working out reguarly (about 4 times a week) and eating just at or slightly below my daily caloric intake two weeks ago and since that time I have managed to put on 4 pounds. I know four pounds is not a lot, but to me (5'0) and only 4 pounds from my goal weight, it sucks! I am well aware that most of it is probably just muscle, but it still is very disheartening and discouraging. The workout I have been doing consists of 25-30 mintues of cardio on my elliptical followed by 12-15 minutes of ab, arm, legs and butt exercises. Think weighed lunges, squats, crunches, tricip curls, dead lifts, etc. I use between 5-10 pound weights.

What I am wondering is, when will the stinkin scale stop moving UP? I cannot afford to gain much more. I am so short and don't want to look chunkier than I already am! My worst fear is to come to the end of my fitness journey and look like one of those female body builders. I know that they take testonerone and such, but still the scale will not stop. My goal weigh was 115 and now I am 124. It makes me not want to continue to work out because I know when I stop, the scale will move back down toward my goal weight.

All I wanted to do was tone my body! Yes I am starting to look more smooth and toned but my clothes still fit the same. I know it is still very early on, but I am wanting results! I work hard and hardly ever eat over calories and when I work out, I give it my all.

I need some sound advice. I don't want to stop working out for fear of the scale moving. When will it start moving in the other direction? When will this initial weight gain phase be over? I know it is different for everyone, but what is the average? Please share any advice you may have. Thank you!

Replies

• gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have read that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 for close friends and family, and 12 for everyone else. I'm not sure if that's true or not, I read it on pinterest, lol. I have also been told that you might weigh more even though you will look a lot thinner. Don't get too discouraged yet! You're doing a great job and you will see results soon.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

so... muscle and fat weigh the same... muscle is just more dense and takes up LESS room... I would really doubt you've gained 4 pounds of muscle if you've just started working out! Message me and I'd love to help ya!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well I've gained 4 pounds of something and I don't know what it is. And I am counting calories and working out - sweating and lifting weights. When I wasn't logging and watching what I ate or exercising, I was either losing or staying the same. What gives?!