Healthy hinese recipes?

Options
rainbow118
rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
I love chinese food, but the stuff you get at a take out place is horrible for a diet. Does anyone have any healthy low-fat/calorie chinese recipes that taste really good?

Replies

• rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love chinese food, but the stuff you get at a take out place is horrible for a diet. Does anyone have any healthy low-fat/calorie chinese recipes that taste really good?
  • Bdobrinich
    Options
    Have you tried Lean Cusine's Sesame Chicken? That is the closest I have come to Chinese that is remotely Healthy and has a good taste. They have another one that is really good. But, at the time I can't remember the name of it. But, if you look when you go grocery shopping maybe you will find it. It is a Asian one.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Here you go:
    http://www.healthychineserecipes.com/

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Kung Pao chicken (this is from the hungry-girl.com website they have a lo-mein recipe on there too that is awesome but not everyone can get the tofu shirataki noodles) but check it out anyway INGREDIENTS
    8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast; cubed
    3/4 cup mushroom chunks
    3/4 cup bell pepper chunks (red and/or green)
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup sliced & halved canned water chestnuts
    2 tbsp. reduced-sodium/light soy sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp. rice vinegar
    2 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
    1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
    1 tbsp. chopped dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    1 tsp. red chili sauce (add more for extra spice!)
    salt, pepper and red pepper flakes; to taste

Directions:
    Begin by combining 2 tbsp. of cold water with soy sauce, vinegar, Splenda, cornstarch and chili sauce -- stir well until all ingredients have dissolved. Set sauce aside. Spray a large pan or wok with nonstick spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, bell peppers, celery, onion, garlic and 2 tbsp. of water. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes. Once chicken is almost fully cooked but still tender, add peanuts and water chestnuts to the pan or wok. Raise heat to high, give sauce a stir, and add it to the pan/wok as well. Mix entire dish until all ingredients are coated in sauce, and the sauce is hot and thick. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Enjoy! MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 heaping portion (half of recipe)
    Calories: 230
    Fat: 4g
    Sodium: 720mg
    Carbs: 17g
    Fiber: 3g
    Sugars: 7g
    Protein: 30g
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I made beef with broccoli last night. It was sooo good. I used thin cut top sirloin cut into 1 X 1 1/2 pieces. Coat them in seasoned cornstarch and saute with 2 cloves of chopped garlic in 1 tbsp oil. When fully cooked, add 3 cups broccoli pieces and 1 cup of big chunks of onion. Stir fry till cooked but still crisp. Then pour in your favorite broccoli beef sauce. I like Lee Kum Kee brand. I dont recommend the powdered form of anything asian. They are terrible. And often get clumpy. The Lee Kum Kee is yummy and already in sauce form.. I served it over Jasmin rice. Yummy and filling!! Good Luck:tongue:

Ps The whole meal was 690 calories including the oil I fried it in. Not bad for chinese food!! And I was stuffed!
  • amkeiser
    Options
    New fav is Lean Cuisine Lemongrass chicken. YMY!:wink:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I love chinese too...but it can really give you an overload on fat and sodium....

I have a wok and will make stir fry a lot....I use lite oyster sauce and lite/lo sodium soy sauce, a tiny bit of oil or low sodium chicken broth to saute my meat , then garlic, onion, peppers, carrots, broccoli mushrooms ...mmm its soo good....I'll sometimes have it over steamed bok choy or watercress too to make it more filling or put it over some really good asian noodles....

Don't get me wrong I do love my appetizers but I get filled a nice flavor and it helps the craving!

:wink:
    Ali
  • DonnaT
    Options
    Hi,
    I made the Kung Pao Chicken and it was wicked delicious!!
    My husband loved it and it was even better the second day. Yums.
    Thanks. I'd love to know if you had anymore
    Donna:happy:
  • erin1205
    Options
    I made that Kung Pao Chicken tonight for my husband's Valentine's dinner and it was absolutely awesome!!! Super tasty and filling and he couldn't believe how healthy it was! I highly highly recommend that one...yummy! :smile:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Thanks Joanna - I love Chinese, but fear the fried calories. This site is very helpful..:drinker:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Good site!

Bump