Sleeping with a pillow between the knees

Options
2»

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have a slipped spine and have, almost, constant pain. I bought a body pillow and it makes a HUGE difference! I tried the pillow between the knees and it can help, but sometimes you need to try several positions before you can get comfy. It takes a little getting used to at first. But, you can go anywhere from just putting a knee over it to almost laying on top of it (which takes nearly all stress off your back). It's like having another person in bed (but without the sweaty-ness)... :wink: I use the pillow, plus I have an adjustable bed with a memory foam mattress, which can also help.
  • dianejt4
    dianejt4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I heard it is suppose to help. I actually got myself a body pillow not long ago and I have seen a difference, less pain!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I did when I was pregnant a lot, which is probably when my back (and hips) were the craziest... and it really seemed to help. I hope it gives you some help!

Oh, goodness YES!!! I would have DIED without my shephard's hook when I was pregnant. That bad boy wrapped all the way around me, I'd even rest my belly on it when I got later into the pregnancy. We ended up having to buy a bigger bed so that we could fit myself, my husband, my pillow, and the occassional dog.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have lower back pain and sciatica problems and using pillows (yes, I have two stuffed in one cover to make it really thick) between my legs is the only way to make it through the night.

I started doing this years and years ago after physical therapy.
  • kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know a life without something between my legs . . . when I'm sleeping . . . like a pillow.

No seriously, I have hip pain if I don't sleep with a pillow between my legs.

I ditto this. I'm 26, have been sleeping with a pillow between my knees since I was about 21. I'm a primarily side sleeper though sometimes I'll end up on my back. I used to wake up in the morning and have to do lots of stretching before I could get out of bed because my hips and legs would hurt so bad. I started putting a super firm back/side sleeper pillow between my knees and now I can't sleep without it.
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did when I was pregnant a lot, which is probably when my back (and hips) were the craziest... and it really seemed to help. I hope it gives you some help!

same for me, and oddly, i woke up this morning saying to myself how i need to get a body pillow again. i freaking loved that thing!!!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    i sleep with a pillow all the time..but then I've had 4 hip surgeries over the last 5 years. It's rather necessary. But I can see that it could help with the back. Have you thought about a new box spring and mattress?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I had back pain and slept with the pillow like that and it helped. Couldn't hurt!
  • ninaladd
    ninaladd Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree. You could ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist to teach you what exercises would be appropriate for your back. Strengthen your core muscles (abdominal, back and neck) and your back pain should decrease. The pillow definitely supports your spine when you are on your side, but if you sleep on your back 1-2 pillows under your knees might be better. It's important to know what positions are most comfortable now and try to maintain those at night.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've been having lower back pain for months now when i get up in the morning. Usually i ice and take advil for it. But was wondering if sleeping with a pillow between my knees would help this condition. Anybody out there use a pillow between the knees when they sleep? What are your thoughts? I've been to a chiropractor twice and they were no help at all.
    Sleeping with a pillow between your knees is commonly advised for people who have lower back pain. And it's an established method that's proven successful.
    Chiropractors, to their delight, are established and, to their chagrin, have no demonstrable difference in treatment outcomes than a placebo. That's not to say that chiropractors are not effective, please understand that, but they are only as effective as a placebo.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been having lower back pain for months now when i get up in the morning. Usually i ice and take advil for it. But was wondering if sleeping with a pillow between my knees would help this condition. Anybody out there use a pillow between the knees when they sleep? What are your thoughts? I've been to a chiropractor twice and they were no help at all.

This may sound ironic, but for me, lifting weights has helped my lower back pain tremendously. Look online for exercises to do for back pain. There are many. I joined my gym and take classes for lifting, so I get a full body workout, but you can just do ones for lower back too.

This. Strengthening the back/core does wonders for lower back pain! If you're just starting out, check out the hip movements that belly dancers use. They're phenomenal for the lower back.

Also, check your posture during the day, and not just the slouching stuff. Make sure your hips aren't tilted to crazy extremes one way or the other. Poor posture is killer on the back.
  • JuanitoSinaloense
    Options
    Using a pillow between the knees it helps a lot on a lower back pain. But I also recomend you to check your prostate!!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Sleeping with a pillow under my top knee (instead of between both of them) is the only way I can sleep. Otherwise, I end up with RLS and terrible back pain. The idea behind doing so is to keep your back straight. I have one on either side of me so it doesn't matter if I roll over, my top leg automatically goes over the pillow and the bottom leg stays straight. My doctor instructed me to do this years ago when I was pregnant and it helped so much that I've never stopped.

Ps...sleeping this way does not allow for snuggling with one's partner. :ohwell:
  • JanuaryJan
    Options
    I recently had x-rays done because my lower back pain is so bad. I have two bulging discs, and sleeping with a pillow between my knees and also pressed against the small of my back helps a lot. (even though my husband accuses me of building fort knox around me!! :tongue: :ohwell: )

One of the key helps to this is strengthening your core. I'm just beginning to really work on this and find that it is helping. When your core is stronger your back muscles don't have to work so hard to compensate, and it allows the muscles around your spine to relax a little and alleviate some of that pain. I also find that walking, standing, sitting etc using a "neutral pelvis" is helping. It's kind of like walking around lightly holding in your tummy all the time which tilts your pelvis slightly forward to relieve the curve in the spine.

Now if I could just find something to help tennis elbow. :frown:

I hope you can get some relief!!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    After having a knee replacement in 2004 that is the only way I can sleep without hurting.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Worth a try. I had to do that when I was pregnant - more for hip pain though, I think.