I am still a work in progress.

Options
Does anyone else keep an MFP journal? I just created my first entry and wanted to share it with everyone. Just wanted to tell my story and hopefully it'll help anyone else out there struggling with the same issues I got.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/xsargex

If you have a journal to share. Post it.

thanks

Replies

• ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your journal, Sarge. It's funny because I could see a lot of my husband's eating habits and how they developed in there. I'm going to make him read it when he's on leave and maybe he'll see that eating healthy CAN be done and isn't just a chick thing. I worry about his overall health with the crap he eats while he's deployed! He's been taped since he joined the military and it pisses him off to no end. If you have any deployment food suggestions, I'd appreciate you passing them my way. Keep the journals comin'!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for posting the link
    It was a good/fun read....I think a lot of us can relate to many issues you wrote about
    I was a thin kid but my 2 cousins were very overweight
    The minute we walked through the door my grandmother was pushing candy, pudding, cakes on us..
    Then 2 minutes later complaint o my Aunt that my cousins shouldn't eat so much and were over-weight, huh:noway:

Thanks again, I'll check out future entries
    Kim
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    HAHA!
    That was awesome!
    :flowerforyou:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your journal, Sarge. It's funny because I could see a lot of my husband's eating habits and how they developed in there. I'm going to make him read it when he's on leave and maybe he'll see that eating healthy CAN be done and isn't just a chick thing. I worry about his overall health with the crap he eats while he's deployed! He's been taped since he joined the military and it pisses him off to no end. If you have any deployment food suggestions, I'd appreciate you passing them my way. Keep the journals comin'!

Deployments are easy to lose weight (depending on your job) cause you primarily stay pretty active. Unfortuantely, alot of the big bases have food availabe 24/7. Even the little FOB/Firebases have dfac's that offer 3-4 meals a day; all you can eat. Now they got Subways and Pizza Hut less then a block from your bunk. How easy is it to skip the *kitten* meal at the dfac and go load up on junk food. We actually had two guys in our unit that got FATTER while deployed to Pakistan. We pretty much lived off MRE's and the local Pakistani food, which was similiar to canned dog food. How the F is that possible? How does someone get fat off MRE's? Oh, its possible!

The army is great, cause it does give you discipline you may normally not get at home or what was familiar growing up. Buts it really is no different then your mom standing over you and telling you to eat your green beans. They throw these arbitrary numbers at you and tell you to match them... or get punished. They don't really teach you about food. Or train you on how the body works. The Army only cares about how they look. As long as they have quasi programs in place to fix problems, then its ultimately the soldiers fault, not the Army's fault if a soldier is jacked up. So if you got soldiers that are unhealthy, fat, overweight, drunk, or just plain unruly... they'd rather put a bandaid on a gaping wound.
    "See we started this diet program, so we tried to fix the problem." Well all the good intentions in the world doesn't always help. Ultimately, its up to the individual to really take care of themselves. That goes with anything in life, to include learning good eating habits, exercising, etc etc.

I get sick and tired of people blaming America for being fat. "Well this chart says we have this many fat people" or "If it wasn't for McDonalds, our society wouldn't be so fat." You know what, excuses!!! What like other countries and societies don't have fat people? I've been to 3rd world countries, more than I can count. They all have one thing in common...UNHEALTHY people. Unhealthy, from LACK of nutrition. America is the land plenty. Food is accessible everywhere. When you live in a 3rd world village with no 7-11 or drive-thru Wendy's....its easy not to be fat. Whats the problem here? Its the will of the individual. Not "it takes a village to raise a person". Gimme a break people. Take responsibilty of yourself, already.

For me, its a issue of being lazy or not. You go on a deployment. You lose weight. You get into a routine. Everything is regimented for you. As a reservist, I come home and its back to MY old ways.
    Gain the weight back, eat like *kitten*, and throw all my health out the window. The trick is to harnass good habits and keep them in play.

You know, not just my age, but if/when I have kids. What am I gonna teach them? "Oh hey son/daughter, Dad's a fatass and going to the doctor every month....but you gotta eat right and stay healthy." I wanna be a good role-model, because it takes work and effort. *kitten* doesn't come easy.
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    Alright, I could just hug you!
    :laugh:
  • xsargex
    Options

you wouldn't want to do that...i'd probably crush you. My wife is japanese, I think she knows Karate??
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! I think I should start a journal..........:smile:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options

you wouldn't want to do that...i'd probably crush you. My wife is japanese, I think she knows Karate??

I was raised on a farm with 5 LARGE older brothers... I've been crushed in my day.
    The woman in the pictures, she's way pretty! I would not want to be karate chopped. :laugh:
  • xsargex
    Options

I was raised on a farm with 5 LARGE older brothers... I've been crushed in my day.
    The woman in the pictures, she's way pretty! I would not want to be karate chopped. :laugh:

haha, oh nevermind.... i wouldnt' want your brother to retaliate and crush me. Truce!

Thanks, my wife is awesome and crazy hot! She puts up with me, so you know she's some kinda angel or something.
  • FluffnStuff
    Options

haha, oh nevermind.... i wouldnt' want your brother to retaliate and crush me. Truce!

Thanks, my wife is awesome and crazy hot! She puts up with me, so you know she's some kinda angel or something.

Those are the best kind of people to have. (I LOVE her hair! Envy! Always hated being a blonde!)
    I got one like that too, he's deployed though (he's the retaliator... my brothers would probably cheer you on).
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Haha, thanks for the insight.

My husband tends to gain weight away from home because I won't keep crap in the house and I won't go out to eat very often. So, he's gone from home and he's around crap food all the time and just kind of goes crazy, I think. He also has issues with all the sodium in the MREs and DFAC food. He actually developed high blood pressure in Iraq. Though, it may have been the dumb@ss he was working with. They usually don't have a lot of fresh fruit, either and that's generally the only way I keep him eating healthy at home. Ah well, we'll get through this one; it's only 10 months this time!

And yes, I agree, your wife is beautiful!
  • xsargex
    Options
    Haha, thanks for the insight.

My husband tends to gain weight away from home because I won't keep crap in the house and I won't go out to eat very often. So, he's gone from home and he's around crap food all the time and just kind of goes crazy, I think. He also has issues with all the sodium in the MREs and DFAC food. He actually developed high blood pressure in Iraq. Though, it may have been the dumb@ss he was working with. They usually don't have a lot of fresh fruit, either and that's generally the only way I keep him eating healthy at home. Ah well, we'll get through this one; it's only 10 months this time!

And yes, I agree, your wife is beautiful!

I agree with the sodium thing. I came back from my last deployment and had my annual flight physical at Leavenworth. The doctor got my blood work back and said my triglyercides(SP?) were way high.
    Like higher then average. He suggested I cut back on the starchy foods and I'd be okay. I drove home all freaked out, like I thought I was gonna get diabeties or something. Then I realized...the whole year we were living off rice, potatoes and bread. Like what'd you expect?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    way to go. thanks for sharing your story. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!