Losing Inches not Weight _ A Skeptic

Options
So I have spent the past hour utilizing the "Search" function in the forums to research losing inches not weight while I graze upon my Thai Chopped Chicken salad (yes it is amazing!...the salad that is).

In the past 3 wks I have lost NADA...but in the last week alone I lost ~.5 from my hips...give or take a bit tape placement etc.

Now I can say that approx 99% of what I read previously in the forums is that the reason behind this phenomenom is the increase in lean mass countering the lost of pure fat. However...this is where the skeptic in me is questioning this.

According to several (like 8) body building magazines and websites of the scholarly nature (not trying to sell you anything) a man under ideal circumstances, 3-4 hrs lifting and sustaining off of several chickens a day, can gain 5lbs a month. Now a woman under the same conditions can gain about 3 (unless you have a hidden testicle somewhere). So the average gym bunny gains about...ready for this... .75lbs a MONTH! See where I am going with this...while I am not a math major here, something is not adding up.

So I would like others opinions on this annomaly or if I have just gone stir crazy...If MFP says I should be losing 1lb a week...and my BodyMedia says I have a deficit larger than that...even with muscle increase (and I am no Gym Bunny) something should give. Not that I am complaining that the gravitational pull around my derrière is decreasing...Just an inquiring mind.

Now back to my awesome salad : )

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would listen to your body media instead of MFP. It's possible to lose inches due to less water retention over the last time your measured or even possible even a loss in muscle mass as opposed to fat. It's quite hard to say for sure. The second one is more likely if you are saying you have a large calorie deficit and unless you are doing some very heavy strength training and eating properly to gain lean muscle mass, I would highly doubt its muscle growth.

To start simple,

What is your weight
    What is your workout routine
    How many calories you eating
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Current weight: 144
    BF: According to my scale ~30% at night when well hydrated
    Work out: 2 x a week 2-3 mile Run w/ 30 min calistenics (Military) and 2 x a week a several mile walk
    MFP Cal in ~1500
    BodyMedia Cal out ~2100 on "big" workout days and 1950 on long walk days
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've lost nothing for the past few weeks either, but definitely have changed shape (don't own a tape measure - but my trousers keep falling down where they used to provide a muffin top)

I put this own to the fact that my muscles are just working better so holding the fat in a bit better LOL. I'm pretty certain I'm not building much lean mass as I'm mostly doing cardio and I'm just not doing enough to build muscle mass - max of 1 hour a day, more often 30 mins;)
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Another fact to add to your conundrum that seems to be discounted on this site, to GAIN muscle mass, along with all that weight training that you cited, you need to be in a calorie SURPLUS. Not deficit.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This thread may blow up. You've been warned. :)

I'm a scale person. I love the scale. I'm not a big believer in "you've gained muscle" or "losing inches are more important."

If someone weighed 275 lbs and is trying to get to 150, then the scale just has to move.

It's a lot harder to build and gain muscle than doing just regular, basic exercise. Even with 3-5 lb weights. Maybe there is some fluid retention but it's most likely not muscle weight. Exercise will slim you down but it shouldn't completely stall ALL weight loss.

I can't speak for other people, but my scale has to move or I'm adjusting my program. I'm not getting caught up in faux "muscle gain."
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Current weight: 144
    BF: According to my scale ~30% at night when well hydrated
    Work out: 2 x a week 2-3 mile Run w/ 30 min calistenics (Military) and 2 x a week a several mile walk
    MFP Cal in ~1500
    BodyMedia Cal out ~2100 on "big" workout days and 1950 on long walk days

My biggest suggestion, if possible, is to cut some of the cardio and start doing very heavy strength training. I generally suggest 3 days of ST and 2 cardio days or 1 cardio day and 1 yoga day.

Food wise, you should be eating around 1600 calories a day, even on non workout days or 1700 on workout days and 1500 on non workout days.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    This thread may blow up. You've been warned. :)

I'm a scale person. I love the scale. I'm not a big believer in "you've gained muscle" or "losing inches are more important."

If someone weighed 275 lbs and is trying to get to 150, then the scale just has to move.

It's a lot harder to build and gain muscle than doing just regular, basic exercise. Even with 3-5 lb weights. Maybe there is some fluid retention but it's most likely not muscle weight. Exercise will slim you down but it shouldn't completely stall ALL weight loss.

I can't speak for other people, but my scale has to move or I'm adjusting my program. I'm not getting caught up in faux "muscle gain."

At some point, you may change your view. It depends if you want to be skinny or fit. Skinny looks good in clothes, fit looks good naked. Also it takes a workout routine and a caloric surplus to gain muscle. But below is someone who changed her view on weight loss and gained 10 lbs and became skinnier.

I will say, maybe weight loss is your approach at first, but once you are within your normal limits, it should be on fitness if you want to cut the fat and tighten your body.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I will say, maybe weight loss is your approach at first, but once you are within your normal limits, it should be on fitness if you want to cut the fat and tighten your body.
    I agree with you here. My goal is to get to 140. When I'm at 160, I'll definitely concentrate on getting shredded while getting down to my final goal.

However, today I still have over 100 lbs to lose before I'm even anywhere near my goal. My focus is unabashedly on the scale. Love my scale.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I agree with you here. My goal is to get to 140. When I'm at 160, I'll definitely concentrate on getting shredded while getting down to my final goal.

However, today I still have over 100 lbs to lose before I'm even anywhere near my goal. My focus is unabashedly on the scale. Love my scale.

I understand but sometimes concentrating on a long term goal makes things easier. If you concentrate on cutting fat the weightloss will come along and you reduce the chance of a plateau. And since muscle burns fat why not concentrate on both. I will post a study that will support this i just sont has access to it on my cellphone. Just something to consider.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you're at a calorie deficit, you're going to have a net loss of either fat or muscle by weight. That part is not up for debate, and anyone who says otherwise should go back to their high school physics class and brush up on some thermodynamics.

That doesn't necessarily mean you're going to lose weight; you may retain some extra water, especially if you do lots of strength training.

That said, don't listen to anyone who says "It's just building muscle". It's not, unless you've been overestimating your calories burned or underestimating your food. That doesn't leave much beyond water. The good news is that you're seeing results, so keep it up. If you stop seeing results, it will be time to re-evaluate your intake and output to verify they're accurate.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical too, I think how hard some guys work out in the gym to gain any muscle. However if you're new to exercise it could be some water retention. I think the muscles swell and hold water when you start trying to build them? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I understand but sometimes concentrating on a long term goal makes things easier. If you concentrate on cutting fat the weightloss will come along and you reduce the chance of a plateau. And since muscle burns fat why not concentrate on both. I will post a study that will support this i just sont has access to it on my cellphone. Just something to consider.

Also which would you rather do drop sizes in clothes faster or lose weight? Concentrating on strength training will provode greater body fst loss which means cutting more fat which means a tighter slimmer body. No one but yourself knows your weight but they do notice when clothes are smaller.

Ssomething to think about. Now i will go away.