Late Night Snacking and TV Snacking

Options
Any advice on how to curb those cravings at night. I can eat so well throughout the day, but when night time rolls around and the TV turns on, I have such intense cravings for a bowl of cereal or something else sweet or really just any carb. What do you guys do to help these cravings go away? This is my biggest weakness.

Replies

• jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What if you set a time for yourself not to enter the kitchen? I'm thinking anytime after 8. Before then, I would be sure you're eating something with a good amount of protein, that seems to help cravings for me as I feel more full.

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • cheryl123happy
    cheryl123happy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I hate it. I eat like a champ so healhty until I get home after dinner! I can lock myself in my bedroom LOL
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. Time of day has nothing to do with anything. If you're not, have some tea. Occupy your hands (knit, fidget with something, etc). Chew gum, drink water.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, evenings are the worst for me! I think it's boredom & the habit of doing so. But there are shows I want to watch! Lol. We should as mentioned find something else to do with our hands....sometimes I wish I still smoked to keep my mouth occupied! :noway: Just kinda joking there...
  • jbaker436
    jbaker436 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with this a lot! One suggestion I heard before was to go to sleep earlier, thus relieving the amont of time to deal with the craving. In my experience, I wake up hungry which isn't great either. The way I end up handling this is to eat something light, i.e. light popcorn or mini rice cakes (my fav is caramel). Sometimes if I am truly hungry and not just bored, I eat some trail mix. The nuts have protein that help with the hunger. The key is to just have a little of it though. :smile: I'll be watching for other tips on the responses. Good luck!
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My snacking at night has nothing to do with hunger.... its not boredom ..... its habit I am sure. I lounge on the couch and watch my shows once I get the kids down (I sound like one of the golden girls - sit down to watch my programs - ha) anyway..... Night time snacking is my #1 killer. I have tried having healthy snacks (veggies) but its just not the same as a bag of chips :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at night (typically somewhere between 8:30 - 9:30) in front of the TV.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    I used to do that too. It takes time and trial and error to find what works for you. For me it was a combination of eating two larger meals, the latest around 4 PM, with lots of protein and sufficient fat.

Also:
    ~Don't buy the stuff. Make your eating decisions at the grocery store. - I don't buy crackers, cereal, rolls, bakery items, ice cream, chips, etc. AT ALL. I only buy whole grain bread and oat bran for cereal.
    ~If you must snack, make it cheese or nuts or protein like yogurt. Fiber is good. So is fat.
    ~Cut down on carbs in general ( I stay at around 100g daily )
    ~Get plenty of sleep
    ~Drink enough water
  • roshart
    roshart Posts: 18
    Options
    I did the sugar addicts diet a while back which says you should have protein with each of your three meals, and before you go to bed you should have a small jacket potato with the skin on but no protein with it, so either a small bit of butter or mayo. It is comforting, filling and takes away the cravings.. It really works!