Healthy Easter Side Dishes

Options
Hello Friends!
Sunday is Easter and for those celebrating, there will be a plethora of sugar and rich fatty foods to tempt those trying to get into swimsuit shape.
I am looking to come in guns blazin', with a healthy filling side dish that I can focus on.
Do you have any recipes? Ideas? There will be ham and turkey, so something that goes along with that.

I appreciate the help!

Replies

• jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Grilled asparagus
    Put a little extra virgin olive oil on it, salt and pepper, grill till done ( I like mine with a little bite to them), sprinkle with a lemon juice...and done.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm so not a cook-cook, but it'd be really easy to have a cauliflower or sweet potato mash instead of something like mashed potatoes.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump. interested in hearing what people come up with. I will only be serving like 4 other people but I still like to have a lot of healthy options.
  • michmill98
    Options
    Roasted or grilled asparagus
    Roasted baby red potatoes (instead of mashed/scalloped): halve (quarter larger ones if needed), toss with olive oil, a bit of fresh herb (parsley or minced rosemary are really good), some minced garlic, salt and pepper. Toss on a cookie sheet and roast at 450 until fork tender
    Steamed fresh peas
    Deviled eggs (just go easy on the mayo)
    Layered lettuce salad (mom's version has lettuce, green peas, chopped bell peppers, etc with a creamy dressing on the top - I can't remember what all was in it off the top of my head, but you could substitute low/non fat products if you wanted)

I pass on the honey glazed hams and go for a quality smoked one instead - more versatile for leftovers. I made the mistake once of using honey ham leftovers in ham and beans - yuck!