Runners with asthma......

Options
Hello all! I have exercised induced asthma that I'm not sure is being controlled the way it should. I discovered I have EI asthma last summer when I started running, so I'm still learning the ropes with it. Please tell me if this happens to you.....

The first two miles of a run I am gasping, having to try to breathe deep to get enough oxygen, wheezing, etc. Once I hit that two mile mark, my breathing is excellent - no deep breathing needed, feel fantastic, etc.

Right now I'm using a rescue inhaler pre-exercise. I take about 4 puffs spread out during the 15-30 minutes before I actually start running.

So, is this a normal asthma thing, or should I re-evalute my treatment with my doc? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    bump.... anybody?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    See my doc told me to take my inhaler 15 prior to any type of exercise, and then as needed. I found out that I had asthma when I was 18, which was kinda too little too late. But i would say its normal...thats just me though....
  • bensondeon
    bensondeon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with asthma for as long as I can remember. Now that I have begun running I'm seeing patterns in the way that I react to exercise and can relate with you. I premedicate fifteen mins before running and it helps. I find that starting mile one at a slower pace allows me time to get used to the run and warm up (Idk it helps the lungs warm up i guess).

When I have a flare up, I usually have trouble through the first mile am forced to use my rescue inhaler and catch my breath. After that mile 2 and 3 and beyond are okay. I've noticed that the more I use my long acting inhalers (I'm currently on Asmanex but I've had better success with other medications) and singulair. While the stoppage is frustrating its normal and part of managing asthma . Even though you may run into setbacks stick with the running and it does get better.

Have any of you found any medications (or combination) that helps you continue running and manage asthma well?
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    4 puffs is a LOT...too much albuterol can have the reverse effect. 1-2 puffs is considered standard dose. Perhaps you need more than just albuterol. When I first started running (6 years ago) I was diagnosed with EIA, but after a few months of doing albuterol pre-run and sometimes still having issues later in a longer run--as well as some night coughing episodes--my doc reassessed me and put me on an inhaled steroid regimen. That has worked MUCH better. Now I only use the albuterol maybe a couple of times/week, if even that much.
  • Cheri_Alexander
    Cheri_Alexander Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do my inhaler about 10 minutes before I start running as stated above. Works like a charm.