Replies

• brayaddie
    brayaddie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. Will need to read over and over and over!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, I set mine up per the formula. The BMR given here was a couple hundred different than the BMR using the "Eat More" methodology, but I figure it's close enough to count. I'm 37 and my age to hit the BMR was 53 :( I'll be ionterested to see what difference that makes in the calculations for my normal workouts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, I set mine up per the formula. The BMR given here was a couple hundred different than the BMR using the "Eat More" methodology, but I figure it's close enough to count. I'm 37 and my age to hit the BMR was 53 :( I'll be ionterested to see what difference that makes in the calculations for my normal workouts.

Since you are following a great program to lose weight and maintain your LBM, you should for sure re-measure every 5 lbs lost, to see how the BF% changes, and re-adjust.

You'll be getting younger as you go along.

Oh, confirm you adjust the HRmax stat, because the default 220-age was applied automatically when you changed the age.

And that HRmax stat being lowered (since you appear to be older) would mean your calorie burns would actually go up at the same HR effort.

Edit: You know what, to keep this simple and let you log it somewhere, and adjust a stat not used in other calculations, just this spreadsheet, the HRM tab, upper section. Use the 3rd section for getting better HRmax estimate for that stat too.

Since you are doing the EM2WL method, you'll recognize the other tab there already. You can use it for logging too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

I give some description of the sheet here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/620206-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-mfp-tweaks-hrm
  • pstansel74
    Options
    So I should change my height to the results in Step 3? And that's all I need to do for the HRMax to be more correct?
  • pstansel74
    Options
    Still confused... should I change the age based on the formula on the first page and then the height based on the spreadsheet? Or just the height?
  • heybales
    Options
    So I should change my height to the results in Step 3? And that's all I need to do for the HRMax to be more correct?
    Still confused... should I change the age based on the formula on the first page and then the height based on the spreadsheet? Or just the height?

Well, the height has to do with the HRM doing a BMR calc. So Step 3 is correct for BMR to be correct on the HRM.

The HRmax doesn't involve height.

The HRmax has a bigger influence

The spreadsheet is an update to this topic. Age was originally used because a few I talked with about it thought the idea of metabolic age sounded interesting to know.
    But height is easier to change, and it doesn't make the HRM adjust the HRmax automatically.

So just use the spreadsheet. Now, this OP second half did discuss the HRmax, which is more important still - but I put that in the spreadsheet too.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pstansel74
    Options
    Thanks! I figured it didn't make sense to adjust both but wanted to be sure.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My Polar is in the mail! Great info at the perfect time! Thank you!

Ditto... perfect timing!
  • ces921
    ces921 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump thanks
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump for later when my hubby can do the numbers....she says in a very small voice....
  • pstansel74
    Options
    So I used the spreadsheet. Based on the data I entered in the top section it told me to set my height to 49 inches (I'm actually 67) and then in the bottom section the numbers came out to 188 for the MaxHR. I have the FT7 so that's about all I can set. Does that sound right? An excercise routing that was reading at 510 calories before came out at 335 with the new numbers :(
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just got a FT7 last night, bump for reference.

OP, thanks for the research and tutorial. :)
  • heybales
    Options
    So I used the spreadsheet. Based on the data I entered in the top section it told me to set my height to 49 inches (I'm actually 67) and then in the bottom section the numbers came out to 188 for the MaxHR. I have the FT7 so that's about all I can set. Does that sound right? An excercise routing that was reading at 510 calories before came out at 335 with the new numbers :(

Sounds about right.

So for starters, your HRmax is a tad higher than calculated, so it really wasn't as much effort as the HRM thought you had wherever the HR normally is.

Then, for right now anyway, your BMR really isn't as high as the worst BMR estimate the HRM was using.

So indeed, burning less than thought.

Now though, you find out what your normal workouts burn after a couple weeks, use the TDEE Deficit tab, and you can better estimate your real TDEE in section that says you have HRM calorie burn stats.

So while you in reality are burning less than you were informed - you can better estimate your TDEE and then take a deficit from it. So potentially better loss there too.
  • heybales
    Options
    Just got a FT7 last night, bump for reference.

OP, thanks for the research and tutorial. :)

Post topic discovery of easier way to do it.

I give some description of the sheet here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/620206-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-mfp-tweaks-hrm

Use that spreadsheet, the HRM tab, and read down the list. Top section and bottom section on improving accuracy.
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    bump